Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My golden retriever is an active haunter on the team every year.

I don't go too wild with costumes but he always has a role.

He absolutely loves all the people coming and going - especially the kids. I keep him with me on the leash just in case people are scared of dogs but I've never had any complaints. He's not a barker so if I left him in the house for the evening, he'd watch from the window. But he's a member of the family so it's only right he joins in the fun! He also enjoys the after party. We usually find him flaked out halfway through the evening although he always wishes the guests a good night as they leave. He is a very polite host.

This year for the Hitchcock theme, he will be "The Bird Dog" Perfect since he is a retriever. I'll probably put a bird in his knapsack for costuming.

The cats join in for the afterparty (two of the three anyway - one is painfully shy). Can't have them outside for the haunt. Too busy to keep an eye on them even on harnesses. And Halloween is a dangerous night for cats.

Does your pet join in the fun or watch from the sidelines?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Yes, both of my Doxies do. My late dog Blackjack used to really get into TOTers. He was so well behaved and all the kids and adults looked forward to seeing his new costume each year. My current two are okay, but they like to bark and get excited. So, not as much fun. They do love their costumes, though.

Lula will be a fortune teller this year and Hank may be a wizard if I can figure out something for him to wear. Otherwise he will wear a skeleton costume again---however, he is a HEFTY skeleton. lol

·
Creepy Homeschool Mom
778 Posts
Lol! I've had a hefty dox, also(who was also part chihuahua). I can totally picture this!

My late kitty would definitely have gotten into it. I was only just starting all of this craziness in her last years, so she didn't have much opportunity. I would buy a costume to dress her in and to snap a few pictures, but then I'd take it off and leave for her to do with as she pleased.

My girls now...Well, one hates the doorbell, and isn't that fond of strangers-that pretty much counts her out for both Halloween night, and for our party. The other will try to slip out the door, so she needs to be locked away during ToT. The party she is welcome to attend, as long as no one is allergic. She is kind of like a dog, in that she will soak up every ounce of love and attention anyone will give her.

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Had a cat show up ON Halloween 2008. He followed me around IN THE RAIN that night as I tore everything down, didn't think much of it at the time. About a month later we found him living in a bucket behind the shed, half starved and the bucket filling with snow. Nursed him back to health but couldn't bring him in as we had 2 cats already, one of them elderly who didn't care for new additions to the house and wasn't in the best of health at the time either.

He'd been de-clawed, and his tail had been run over, and was a very sweet cat that would just follow me everywhere no matter the weather, so we called him Shadow. He spent 2 more Halloweens with us parked right at my side the entire night before disappearing. We'd told the neighborhood he'd make a good indoor cat so I hope someone took him in rather than he got run over somewhere, but I'll never know.

One of our cats demands to inspect the pumpkins when we pick them and they both like to snoop in the decorations, but they don't care for the noise of the night.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Oh my...can't..take..the cuteness :D

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,963 Posts
Augie likes to "help" with the boxes & things like that. The Furry Ruiner Bros. will get fritzy once the boxes come out. They don't mind Halloween as much as Christmas because we don't rearrange furniture for Halloween, we just put out different stuff for them to break.:D

They both like to Godzilla things & stomp around on whatever I have in the front window. Both will also walk in front of the projection that's going on. It's kinda funny to see zombies, pumpkins, scary stuff, cat shadow or actual cat.:D

I think we could put Augie on his leash & let him out with the kids but he'd be more interested in "loving" their shoes & rolling in the dirt than communing with the ToTers.

But if it involves doorbells Augie & Ziggy are both under the bed. Most of the night they're not much.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
I can't have my dog around anyone but am planning on buying one of the skelly dogs. Today at Dollar General I found halloween dog T's for only $2. I got one that says K-9 ZOMBIE ATTACK UNIT and am going to dress my bone doggie up .....I know I won't get bit trying to dress him :)

·
It's a trick. Get an axe.
2,323 Posts
This is the cutest thread!! I wish our dogs could help, but they would eat their costumes, I'm afraid. We do, however, have a fat, orange cat ready to be our prize-winning pumpkin this year. Our black cat doesn't like company. She will hide under the bed for the duration of Halloween night, I'm sure.

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,130 Posts
I don't know that they haunt with us per se, but they definitely get involved.

It's not necessarily helpful, but, since they were very little, the cats have enjoyed 'assisting' with the inventory:

IMG_2967.jpg
IMG_3002.jpg

They've also been known to 'help' with prop building, for example, when insuring the columns had the necessary finishing touch:

Halloween Helper Footprint.jpg

So, maybe they aren't helping haunt, or much good in terms of productivity, but they sure do make the season even more enjoyable. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't know that they haunt with us per se, but they definitely get involved.

It's not necessarily helpful, but, since they were very little, the cats have enjoyed 'assisting' with the inventory:

View attachment 216959
Aww, that cat inside the skeleton is one of the cutest things I've ever seen! Very unconventional hiding place, but super adorable. :)

·
Registered
897 Posts
Well she likes to hang out, but not sure how helpful she is!

Nucky is not so sure about her new Skeleton pal...

View attachment 216971

Hanging with Uncle Gory.

View attachment 216973

Not sure what is making prop building tougher this year, the broken fingers or the curious cat!

View attachment 216974
I don't blame Nucky for being curious/cautious. If I was a pet and I found myself looking a pet skellie in the eye I'd be a little worried too. :)

Marie

·
Registered
897 Posts
My dog isn't fond of strangers, especially little ones dressed up in strange costumes, so she has to stay inside while the TOTs are out on our deck. I am either out in the yard or on the deck at the side of the house. She barks and growls from inside the house. Last year was her first Halloween with us and unfortunately it was very stressful for her when the kids started calling out Happy Halloween or if they went to the front door by mistake and rang the doorbell. It took her a couple days to get back to normal and not freak out at everything. Poor girl was traumatized by all the little TOTs. She enjoyed the sun while I set up the cemetery and she gave strange looks at both me and the witches den and I could almost see her mind working while she was looking at everything. I am sure she thinks I am nuts. She loves to dress up though and she wore her lady bug costume for about 5 or 6 hrs before it came off. Her hat didn't stay on well though because of her pointy ears but she was so cute. The picture of her in her costume was taken when I came inside at the end of Halloween night. She was so stressed and exhausted from barking at strangers she came a flopped down beside me with a huge sigh when I was taking off my shoes. I am not sure what I am going to do this year because I don't think my son will be around to help try to calm her down. He works in camp now and is gone for weeks at a time. As much as she freaked out last year, at least she wasn't in the house alone because he was with her.

DSCF0818.jpg

DSCF0678.jpg

DSCF0692.jpg

·
Registered
160 Posts
Two years ago I made my son a pirate costume for a costume contest. I figured he needed a parrot so I made a parrot costume (complete with rainbow colored feathers and a hat with google eyes and a beak) for my weenie dog. They won a bike!

Now I have a naughty dog who has taught the weenie to bark at the door so they both go down in the grooming shop during TOT hours.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts