Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I scored 2 weeks ago, with DOTO's help, we brought in the score into my house. One item was a lifesize coffin. With both of us carrying it from the van to the house, I looked around to see if any people was around "You know, It's a good thing people know me here, or this would look so wrong!" I joked.

So many times when I have my garage openned or working on stuff, I have neighbors commenting on my haunt (in a good way). We have always a few new people in the neighborhoods every year, and I always love their reactions.

Does your neighbors know about your little Halloween hobby and how they react to it?

JM

F

·
0 Posts
This is my first Halloween here so I won't be sure how they will react. I can only imagine though.....just going off what I have seen so far. Lots of people here don't like Halloween for religious reasons I guess.

F

·
0 Posts
I don't think most, if any of my neighbors even decorate. I am trying to remember whenever we came to the house for the inspection and final walk thru because that was pretty much close to Halloween (We closed on this house on Halloween). But I really don't think anyone did.

·
Registered
330 Posts
By now most of my neighborhood knows about it. I think it would be fun to move to a new house somewhere and surprise the neighbors lol.

·
Registered
173 Posts
They willl this year. I have some fresh meat in my neighborhood, people are always shocked when I tell or show them my love for Halloween because they only know me for wearing Diamonds, High Heel shoes and my Chanel purse; but this time of the year, The Real Deal comes out .. hahaha

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,471 Posts
We have three new families in our neighborhood. A young couple directly across the street, a couple with a two year old a few houses down and another family on the corner across the street. There are also a bunch of college kids renting a house halfway down our street. I'm thinking they'll be in for a surprise. The regular neighbors are all tuned in to what we do and about this time of year start asking what we have planned. I get regular visitors to my garage in the evening and on weekends from neighbor kids wanting a sneak peek. They all love it.

·
Super Moderator
5,634 Posts
When we first moved in, I tried to keep everything all secret. Well, ok, when I first moved in it wasn't a year round thing. After I had one (5 year old) neighbor call the cops on me (granted the stain I was using on the skulls DID look like blood while wet), I started being a lot more open. To the point that I went over and openly talked to the neighbors as they moved in a few months back.

These days, I get asked what I'm working on in January, and the neighborhood kids LOVE to bring new arrivals to come stare. But, there's always the occasional person getting a shock walking the block.

·
Registered
411 Posts
When I set up my first cemetery in our front yard, I went to Home Depot for an 8x4 foot piece of pink foam. When I brought it home my neighbor asked my intentions with it. I said I was making tombstones. He looked at me oddly and said "Uhh...Aren't Those supposed to be chiseled out of granite"?

We still laugh about it today, Marc V.

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
Oh yes, they do. lol I am known as "that" house in the neighborhood.

However I am happy to say that over the last couple of years there have been 2 - 3 others in the neighborhood that have started making their own reputations known. See what I started? lol :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
This is my first year in a new neighborhood. We are all new on my street so we will see who wins this round! I just hope I have some competition.....

·
Registered
696 Posts
Sometimes I wonder what the air conditioning/heating guys think when they go up in the attic to check the machines and there's a coffin up there, black trash bags filled with stuff etc. "Let's finish this one and get the heck out"
That's too funny. I scared the exterminator a few years back. Now each time he shows up he asks what's new.

·
Evil Wizard
2,165 Posts
Sometimes I wonder what the air conditioning/heating guys think when they go up in the attic to check the machines and there's a coffin up there, black trash bags filled with stuff etc. "Let's finish this one and get the heck out"
When I was a kid in the 80's, my family did a walk-through in the unfinished section of our basement. One of the props was a coffin made of plywood, but with a cardboard (covered with wood-grain contact paper) lid.

One year, sometime shortly after Halloween, there was a guy scheduled to repair our furnace. My parents had to go out somewhere, so my grandmother came over. (I must've been maybe 10 or 12, I think.) We went down in the unfinished basement with the repairman. She looked around, and asked: "What did you do with the coffin?" The poor guy's head swiveled around and the look on his face was priceless; so I had to explain that we did a haunted house every year. :D

·
Registered
265 Posts
Unfortunately, we live on the corner of a busy street. We have one neighbor next door (who does not decorate) and one neighbor behind us. The neighbor behind us does decorate for Halloween. I've known the other neighbor for a long time and neither of them has ever said anything about our yard decorations so I'm sure they don't have a problem with our set up.

I don't have room in my garage to work on stuff so all of my work is done under our patio cover behind our 6' backyard walls. But oh, how I wish I could work in the garage, I would love to see the looks of people waking by as I worked on Halloween stuff during the first part of the year!! :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts