Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
If air is flowing through all the lines properly, you may need to put some fluid in the pump and line to the pump. Maybe someone decided to cut corners and not use a self-priming pump.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No luck :mad:

If the pump is making noise does that at least mean it isn't fried???

Not sure what else I might try...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
OK, final weekend at getting this thing up and running...

My technical method for determining flow (blowing air through) hits a "block" when the brass colored piece (on the right side) goes back in its place on the opposite side from the fluid line. I'm not sure what this brass piece does but, it comes apart and has a tiny spring and tiny plastic piece. Since I don't think it soaked in vinegar before I'm going to give it a shot. Maybe I shouldn't be able to blow air through the pump while this brass piece is inserted so if you have any thoughts on what it should or shouldn't do feel free to tell me I'm barking up the wrong tree :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK, final weekend at getting this thing up and running...

My technical method for determining flow (blowing air through) hits a "block" when the brass colored piece (on the right side) goes back in its place on the opposite side from the fluid line. I'm not sure what this brass piece does but, it comes apart and has a tiny spring and tiny plastic piece. Since I don't think it soaked in vinegar before I'm going to give it a shot. Maybe I shouldn't be able to blow air through the pump while this brass piece is inserted so if you have any thoughts on what it should or shouldn't do feel free to tell me I'm barking up the wrong tree :rolleyes:

First off I can see mineral deposits still in the cast pump base, all that green and white crud has to be gone

The brass insert is a check valve so fluid doesn't flow back to the tank, its a one way valve so depending on which you are blowing air, it may be blocked (as its supposed to)

From the picture, the parts don't look very clean. A wire brush and a little limeaway or clr will do wonders, might want to try that in addition to vinegar

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
No luck with the force feeding. I just get the really load motor/pump notice with no movement at all :confused: I even loosened the brass check valve to where I could blow through the airway but that didn't do anything when I fired it up. I cleaned it up good as I think my last rinse cycle didn't get dried off very good.

I think I'm stuck for good :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
No luck! Looks like it's the motor as I had a friend go through it today and the flow within the pump is fine as well as the heating element. He felt like the loud sound was due to a problem in the motor...

Make any sense? I'm stuck with no fog this year otherwise :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tore apart a spare pump tonight to re-familiarize myself with the insides.

Inside the base of the pump visible from the top is that copper piece that the plunger slides down inside. that is also removable and has a small washer. did you remove that? clean down in there well.

if you blow air in from the fill tube port on the base of the pump, does air flow through? i believe you said it did until you added the brass screw. if that still the case?

i'd hate to see you not have fog! did you try to call vei and ask them to ship you a pump?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yes, I took apart the brass piece with the white washer and spring... Everything looked fine.

I ordered the $45 pump hoping it is indeed the pump and not the motor. More to come later in the week...

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I assumed the motor/pump were the same but, since the pump comes off easily I wasn't sure nor have I looked to see how I would disconnect/reconnect the motor...

Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It's the Relay Switch!!! Now I'm just waiting for VEI to call me back and let me know if I can order that even though I just got the new pump today...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
My neighbor is an electrician and he took a look and said; "your pump is fine, the problem is your relay switch".

Got thru to VEI today and I got a whole new board (can not buy just a switch) which "should" fix the problem.

Wish me luck! more to follow...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have several of the 940's and we run them almost non stop 4 hours a day roughly 40 weeks a year. I haven't a problem with any of the pumps. When the smoke output starts to drop, I end up taken the heat exchanger apart and cleaning the slotted rod.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts