Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year it seemed as though I didn't get nearly the same amount of fog with this unit being 3 years old. The amount of pressure didn't sound the same as just the amount of noise coming from the unit seemed reduced. The fluid was 2 years old as I had bough a case (pro elite fogging fluid).

Will get tiny video up as soon as I can get photobucket to work...

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated before I drop another chunk of change on a new one!

*** IF I need a new one does anyone have a comparable recommendation? Maybe they aren't quite as expensive as they were 4 years ago now???

Cheers ~ Rob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have even opened it up now and don't notice anything that stands out or something that might look like an "issue"...

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Looks a bit anemic, alright. Have you tried clearing the nozzle with a pin? Sometimes the nozzle outlets will get clogged with dried fluid or debris. If you can remove it easily, do so and see if there's anything on the inside of the nozzle. You can also try running the fogger without the nozzle in place for a few cycles and see if there's a significant difference. FYI, I run my older Lite F/X 1741 without the nozzle - it doesn't have a problem and the fog is thicker, but does not blast out as far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try holding the "juice" container upside down while the machine is running. Be careful not to spill any fluid into the machine. Mine looked just like yours and this really helped. Also make sure your feed line isn't kinked. Hope this helps.!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm gonna let it sit over night and try the container upside down as well as a few other things as it has gotten much WORSE. After I had a nice flow with the first few rounds of vinegar water the whole thing is now putting out next to nothing. I'm not sure if something loostened up but, I have taken off the valve on front with no luck there.

More to follow!

Thanks for all the "tips"!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Did you use tap water or distilled water? How hard is your local water? You may need to run straight vinegar to dissolve mineral deposits if you used tap water in the mix.

Alternately, something that was restricting flow may have broken loose during the cleaning and is now acting more like a plug than a restriction.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used bottled distilled water with vinegar 25/75. It does seem like something may have broken free and actually clogged things up. I got a real nice flow of the vinegar mix then next thing I know, NOTHING or close to it.

Maybe I'll have to give the straight vinegar a run...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like surgery is going to be required. Any hints?

I basically get nothing out of it now. It is trying to work but virtually nothing. I thought I'd start by taking apart the pump and see what happens.

I'll upgrade to the V-950 if things don't work out. The best I can find is $250 which includes the remote.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
remove the case screws so the top portion will come off. with a wrench, unscrew one end of the copper tubing between the pump and heat exchanger. with the unit powered up and green light saying ready, lightly hit the fog button. if there appears to be a sufficient stream of fluid being pumped, your clog is in the heat exchanger

if the fluid barely comes out, dissasemble the pump (be careful, the parts tend to shoot out and sometimes its hard to tell the order the parts are to be reassembled) and clean with a lime-a-way type of product to cut the mineral deposits

i currently run a few v-940's in my haunt, and they put out much more than your video, they also tend to pulsate and pressure is built up and released, yours seems to be very slow but constant

not sure what fluid you are using, but i'd recommend a decent fluid (theatre fx, le maitre or rosco) i ran le maitre in my machines last season, put them away and 11 months later, there's no clogs or reduced output

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There certainly is a problem with the pump as nothing comes out of the copper tubing. Everything seems fairly clean and I even got something down the center of the pump hardware with ease. When looking at it there is just the one hose that attaches but there seem to be a lot of other spot on it that look like they either need to be closed off or something else running to them? Ideas? Can you even replace these pumps???

Thanks Crew!

·
Banned
524 Posts
I would just let your pump soak in a vinegar distill water solution over night then let it dry. If you have a compressor you can blow the lines out and the pump to after it has sat over night. You could probably use canned air.

Fog machines are rather simple and easy to work on. They ether work or they don't. In your case the pump works, so you have blockage somewhere. You just need to determine where that is and clean and blow everything out good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There certainly is a problem with the pump as nothing comes out of the copper tubing. Everything seems fairly clean and I even got something down the center of the pump hardware with ease. When looking at it there is just the one hose that attaches but there seem to be a lot of other spot on it that look like they either need to be closed off or something else running to them? Ideas? Can you even replace these pumps???

Thanks Crew!

You're not "in" the pump just yet, you've only removed the cover and coil

Take out the three phillips head screws that are around the stem of the pump, then CAREFULLY pull the stem of the pump out of the housing, this is where you will find the piston, springs and washers, thats where there will be gummies and mineral deposits

Don't say I didn't warn you about the pieces flying out on their own, and there's only ONE way to put them back together to operate correctly, if they go flying or the pump doesn't work because you forgot how to reassemble it, not my fault!

The extra ports you see on the housing of the pump are not used, disregard, they don't need to be plugged up

Prior to using a decent fluid, I could take these things apart in my sleep :eek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Time to test it out once again. Here is how the insides look. More to follow once I fire her up again...

·
Banned
535 Posts
I have been watching this thread and i cant wait to see another test fire and see that it works for you again. Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dang It!

Zip! Nada!

It's not even drawing fluid up. The pump is making a lot of noise but nothing is happening. Everything looks very clean and the pump when I finally took it apart looked great with all washers etc in excellent condition.

Take a look and let me know if this "means" I have a bad pump of could there still be something in there blocking a pathway???

MVI_1573.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll go thru it again this afternoon. I have tried to force air thru just about everything I can without a problem to this point. I'll break it all down again and go thru it...

The brass screw on the side of the pump, does that get screwed in tight (which is what I have done)?

Thanks!!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts