Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know if anyone has a visitor book for people to sign their names in at their haunt? My family went to a open to the neighborhood party at a neighbors house (it was a birthday party for one of their tortoises, he's 29!) anyway they had a book to sign in as this party is an annual event and I was thinking it might be fun to have to have one out at Halloween.

Does anyone do this or have they thought about it?

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
We did have a guest book for our first few years.
Back then, since we live in a very rural area, we only had a couple or a few hundred people come to our walkthrough over the course of the month of October.
Now, we get a lot more people, and it would take too long to have every guest sign a quest book.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have never thought of this idea. If your gathering is intimate enough, I think providing a sign in for people is a great idea. Snippets or thoughts from a fun evening can be a treasured keepsake.

I also love the idea of a comment/suggestion book for a haunt. It can keep you in touch with your neighborhood. Great idea UnOrthodOx.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
We don't have one, but I have thought about it. I haven't said anything to The Hubster about it because I think he'd poke some fun at me for wanting to make our yard haunt "too organized"! Ha ha! But I'm a huge picture-taker & I love to chronicle memories, so an autograph/suggestion book for Halloween really appeals to me. We are expanding our fences this year, and I'm hoping that next year, I'll have columns for my driveway made so that the layout I dream of can finally be a reality. When that is done, there will be a good spot for a book that is out of the way of the candy-giving, but still well-lit and not far out of my sight.

Ultimately, what I'd really love is to have a large Halloween memory book I can add to each year that has photos, personal comments, signatures, menus, etc.

If you like this idea, you should definitely do it! In order to keep it a little organized, you could consider making columns on the pages for NAME, AGE, COSTUME, COMMENT, SUGGESTION, FAVORITE PROP, etc
. :eek:

·
Registered
350 Posts
When I was little we always visited "The Mosher Girls" house last. They were 2 elderly spinster sisters who did an amazing setup with a make-your-own-treat-bag station. They had a guest book where you signed your name and what your costume was. I've always wanted to do that.

·
Registered
372 Posts
We do. My Mom started it many years ago. At that time the haunt was at her house and I first thought no one would sign in. I was so wrong. At their place we would get in the 600 to 1000 people range coming through. (..and we were out in the middle of nowhere - you had to drive to get there and they came by the car load) Anyway we would always read through it that night or the next day and was amazed to see things like this is our 7th year and is our regular tradition or even I came here when I was younger and now here with my kids. It was really something special to read through.

Now that the haunt is at our place we have decided to continue even though we only get about 60 or so. We have a little podium we picked up at a thrift store and created a character we named "the greeter" that holds the pen for the guests. He also has a talking sidekick skeleton. It's nice to read what people have to say - great feedback.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I usually don’t have one but will this year for our party since its a haunted hotel theme. We will se how it goes, might be a fun addition every year. I would love to know what people thought about our parties from year to year.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Since I always wanted to make my Haunt memorable I believed it should be a personal thing and a person to person encounter.
I would try:"Hello, my name is Jim.' An odd feeling would then fill the air.
They would stammer, studder and might say:"My name is "John", I'm from.... "THE CITY."
So much for that!
Then I had a suggestion box for a few years in the wine cellar. Once a month I would clean it out, read their comments:"It's too dark!"
"It's not Dark Enough!" "It's too scary." "It's not Scary enough! "Jim, Go ?+=%& Yourself!" These were the majority of the notes.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've always used a guest book as a prop on my check-in desk. I copied old hotel registry pages and placed them in a "Guest" photo album - easy to turn the pages and at the same time it protects the pages from messy hands!

If I was thinking of doing an actual Halloween party, then a guestbook would certainly be a good idea. But I think I'd set it up in a photo album again so each guest could have space to sign and leave a comment . I'd make sure to take photos of the guests in costume and add them to the book later.

IMGP1623.jpg

·
Registered
268 Posts
We purchased an old funeral home podium last year and had a sign in book which I asked our party guest to sign and comment as they were leaving. It was very cool to read the comments at the end of the evening. We will definitely be doing it again at this years party.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lots of great ideas here thanks! I don't think I would be able to get a photo booth together but I love the idea of the kids writing in their costume each year. I have so many families that come back each year I'd love to record it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts