Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two families in our neighborhood have kids with diabetes. So I make sure that at least half our treats are either sugar free or items like Halloween pencils, Halloween planes (in plastic, simple and easy to use) or perhaps mini bags of pretzels.

When I was a kid, I actually loved getting small Halloween themed books, pencils, notebooks, erasers and miniature yo-yos. How do people feel about this? Mix candy and non candy items ......or just go or candy? Oh, and ignore that annoying Digg button. A year ago, I put it up and could never get it down.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you can mixed items are great my mother in law and I go half anf half buying for our bags she often picks up pencils and thelike I think they are well recived

·
Mostly Harmless
1,328 Posts
I am too busy this year.. but usually I buy items in bulk from Oriental Trading Company or I buy the Halloween favor packs from Target and place them in favor bags I buy from the 99 cent store. It takes more time to create the favor bags but since candy is so expensive where I live it costs about the same. Usually I include items like spider rings, sticky eyeballs, stickers, pencils, erasers, and 1 to 2 pieces of candy.

The benefits to giving items instead of candy is I am not tempted to eat all of the candy before the TOTs come and since the number of TOTs vary from year to year I am not left with a lot of extra candy. And whatever I don't give away one year, I can give away another year.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Love those ideas

I forgot about Oriental Trading Company. Too late to get anything from them before Halloween but our local CVS had the coolest (and inexpensive) Halloween pencils, complete with large erasers. I got some Halloween glider planes, too. That way, the kids will have something to play with the next day (if they don't eat too much candy the night before) :)

·
Mostly Harmless
1,328 Posts
I think it is more memorable and the kids are able to have it for longer.

My grandpa is a coin collector and he has given away lucky pennies, state quartes, wheat pennies, buffalo nickels, silver dollars, and other coins.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have given squirt guns, popping eyes, witch hat spinners...fangs are a favorite. This year -glow in the dark shoe laces, vampire fangs and pixie sticks... for babies I have rubber duckies in costume.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,328 Posts
Theicewitch you are AMAZING! I never thought to vary the prizes I give by age. What a great idea. I usually just give candy to their parents, I never thought to get a goodie the babies could actually enjoy,

·
Registered
212 Posts
we are making up treat bags too
we have pencils, fangs, spider, skull or bat rings and glow stickes and candy for bigger kids, mixing up

small frisbees, bubbles, play duh , and story book, fun straws, ring pops, pretzels and fruit snacks for the smaller ones

stuffed animal for the babies-last year was ghosts,this year little monsters from target

·
Registered
119 Posts
For the last few years Sams club had giant play dough halloween sets. The Dollar store has smaller ones this year but Sams doesnt have the big one. I have also done glow sticks, and balloons. I am mindful of choking hazards. Kids love those temporary tattoos as well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My son asked last night if i could get him a basketball hoop for Halloween... i said its NOT Christmas.... he said well it should be!...... uh... mmmmm

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Last year we put puffer balls under our giant pneumatic spider. That way the kids got to interact with the prop by running up to the mother spider and grab one of her eggs to take home. They were the glow in the dark type that I bought in bulk off ebay for a party during the summer.
This year we bought the little wood coffins and headstones at Michael's and stuffed them with candy and then rubber banded the snakes from the same store to the outside. We also attached the big gummy spiders/centipedes to other ones.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,328 Posts
Last year we put puffer balls under our giant pneumatic spider. That way the kids got to interact with the prop by running up to the mother spider and grab one of her eggs to take home. They were the glow in the dark type that I bought in bulk off ebay for a party during the summer.
This year we bought the little wood coffins and headstones at Michael's and stuffed them with candy and then rubber banded the snakes from the same store to the outside. We also attached the big gummy spiders/centipedes to other ones.
Great ideas Growler. I saw another idea on the forum that you might like.

The writer, Markk, built a guillotine and made the older kids reach through the guillotine to grab their candy (the blade then dropped part way down as they reached through). He included a picture. So I will include the link

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/85294-guillotine.html

·
Registered
93 Posts
We give a special toy, costume piece, flag, pencil or something to anyone who comes to our place dressed like a pirate (as our display is pirate-themed). I just picked up eye-patches, treasure maps and inflatable parrots (seriously) today!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Thanks propmistress! That was a really cool prop. I'll have to think of that for next year. What I wanted to do for next year but, was voted down by hubby was: take a pvc pipe and line it with puffer ball material or something as weird. Then make a large creature and have it facing backwards over it's back. Then the kids reach up into his butt and get their candy. lol Hubby thought it was a little over the top. So I might make a large worm or somesuch and have them reach into its mouth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We've given out 8" glow bracelets for the last few years. When bought in bulk online their cost is comparable to the same amount of name-brand candy, and they're always a hit. In fact, they were a big enough hit that we're fairly sure some other houses in the area are also now giving them out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts