Halloween Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...have a definite shift in their Halloween/Fall decor? Or is it all full-throttle Halloween start-to-finish?

I have a definite shift. Around the second week of September, I'll dress my mailbox and gas lamp with fall leaves and put out autumn themed wreaths. Near my front gate, in late September, I'll put up a couple of those goofy happy scarecrows from Michaels. They'll be lashed to the bottom halves of what will later be a couple of tall black Victorian street lights. Those won't be fully assembled until October. Until then, their bases will be hidden by cornstalks and the aforementioned goofy scarecrows.

The first week of October, more Halloween decorations are added. The tone is still light and whimsical. But soon the decoration will take a spookier turn. Spider webs will soon cover the gate posts and the happy autumnal door wreath will be replaced with one festooned with skulls and bats. The Victorian Lamps will reach their full 10' height and spooks and ghoulies will start to appear. The day before. the graveyard goes up and all horrible things emerge.

·
Registered
100 Posts
We tend to go more for a straight Halloween approach. We'll add more and more decorations throughout the season, but it's all Halloween themed from the beginning.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Not much of a switch. The progression: Dark, darker, darkest:D It is going to be all indoor decorating this year, provided I can manage to clear enough room:rolleyes:

·
Registered
429 Posts
In England, everything appears at about 3pm on Halloween (when the schools finish) and has vanished by the next morning!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Boo who?,

I love the idea of the shift in Halloween decorations from light and whimsical to darker and creepier as the day approaches. I may have to do that. I just have a shift from autumn décor in Sept to Halloween décor in October, and back to autumn décor in November. I have some resin pumpkins that have jack-o-lantern faces on one side, which get turned around to their plain pumpkin sides before and after.

·
Registered
344 Posts
We've got a tail-end shift here. As per HOA (no more than 30 days before) we do the scary Halloween decor in October but after I usually leave out scarecrows and pumpkins with a few colored lights for a Thanksgiving/Harvest theme. Followed by the Christmas lights in December - I have to admit by then I get very tired of the outside decorating.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,198 Posts
I have a shift. Like clockwork, I decorate for Fall/Harvest on September 1st (give or take a day if I have to work). Then, the last weekend of September, we add Halloween to the Fall stuff. November 1st, Halloween and most of the Fall comes down, and my 'late season harvest" stuff comes out, like white/cream pumpkins, cornucopias, Fall berries, gold/brown leaves, and a touch of Thanksgiving.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts