Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... love listening to old scary radio shows (1930-1950)? I usually fall asleep to those old radio dramas on my bedside internet radio/alarm clock. And now that I've hooked up my trusty Roku to the TV in the kitchen, I prepare most every meal to Inner Sanctum Mysteries and those 1970's CBS Radio Mystery Theater dramas via the YouTube channel. There are some new productions out there- but IMO, they rarely hold a candle to the originals.

Sometimes my mom is there. She is 87 and remembers some of those shows from the first time around.
:D

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
There was a small local radio station that would play them from 4 - 6 on Wednesday. I just happened to discover it by accident one day while browsing through channels. Unfortunately the station stopped broadcasting.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember listening to those CBS Radio Mysteries as a young teen (I'm OLD!) Locally, our prime 50,000 watt radio station used to have a call-in radio show that would be all about ghosts and the supernatural every October. I really miss it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've streamed them via shoutcast(winamp) off and on through the years. There are a couple stations that do them, but I've found they repeat a lot of the episodes now within a couple day period, and are mixing in other shows along with the CBS radio mysteries, so there are cop shows in addition to the mysteries. It use to be much nicer. I think the popularity dwindled and the better stations changed formats.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I listen to Old Time Radio an app on my android phone available through the play store. Made it through all the Sherlock Holmes and first run of Johnny dollar, now working on Mystery is my hobby. Keeps the imagination going.

·
Registered
652 Posts
This site has a section that lists which radio stations still play old time radio shows. If you are interested in hearing some modern examples of audio plays, this link has plenty of free downloads.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mega thanks! I rely mostly on Horror Theater, Old Valve Radio, and searching YouTube. Good to learn new resources!

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
They used to play the old-time radio shows late at night when I was a kid (we're talking 1970s) and I always loved 'em. I actually enjoy a lot of the comedy stuff though. There's a bunch of Jack Benny Halloween episodes in my collection - they're always fun - and Fibber McGee and Molly, etc.

I get a big kick out of it because you get to see just how much things have changed since the 30s and 40s. (There was aChristmas episode of Fibber McGee and Molly where they went down to the store to buy bulbs, wire and nails for his Christmas lights. I had never considered that, at one time, Christmas light strings were a completely DIY thing.) You can also get a sense for how Halloween traditions have evolved.

And it's fun to hear the kind of jokes they get away with on radio where your imagination fills in all the impossible stuff.

You can find a lot of 'em here too...https://archive.org/details/oldtimeradio

1 - 10 of 10 Posts