Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just mentioned these in another discussion, and thought I would add a new topic for folks not following the other thread. One of the key concerns prop builders have is security of our props, and the best ways to protect our props from being stolen. One of the best solutions I've found so far are these window alarms. They are made by a company called Doberman, and cost about $10 a piece at Home Depot and other home stores. They are about the size of a lid off a Pringles chip can, work off a battery, and emit a very piercing 95db tone. You just turn the ON/OFF switch on, set the alarm in or on your prop, and that's it. If someone tries to pick up or disturb your prop the alarm goes off for about a minute and then resets. We leave ours in the props year round and they still work fine even after being on for three years.

The alarm is loud enough that the first time ours was set off, we heard it inside the house with the TV on. Turned out it was just our lawn guy who set one of the alarms off when he tried to move a prop while cutting the grass. It scared the crap out of him, and our neighbors heard it too and came out to see what was going on. :)

If you're going to put a lot of time, money, or both into a prop, $10 is dang cheap insurance to protect it, and you don't need to wire or install anything. Just turn it on, put it in the prop, and you're done. Here's some more info: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Doberman-Security-Ultra-Slim-Window-Alarm-SE-0106/202020096

·
Never try to eat a zombie
778 Posts
Definitely worth the money I have them on my doors, they are extremely loud my next door neighbor can hear it go off inside his house, and he is 80 yards away. I use the chime mode incase one of my lil ones try to open a door, and that is loud too, it's a great product. It can also scare the crap out of you if you forget it you left it on lol!!!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL It made me jump when we moved the Creature out by our pool after having in the garage for over a year. I thought sure the battery was dead, and when it started shrieking when we picked it up it really startled us.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never had a problem with wind or rain. The nice thing is the alarm resets itself after 45 seconds or so so it's not like a car alarm that goes off forever.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My dad and I rigged up the dollar tree window alarms on my props last year. We loosely attached the 2 pieces with velcro (I believe its a magnetic alarm thing? pull them apart and it alarms). We attached fishing line and weaved that through multiple props and headstones. Even if someone walked through the yard, as we did several times during lighting setup, the trip wire pulls the pieces apart. It worked really well and was super cheap. It wouldn't be great though of you allow ToTs to walk throughout the display.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts