Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I'm getting ready to get all geared up and start putting out my Halloween display and about this time every year I debate whether or not to get an IR camera or two to protect my investment. I don't live in a bad neighborhood or anything but you never know, right?

Does anyone out there have any experiences, either good or bad, with security systems or cameras they want to share? Do you think a security camera would actually help catch a vandal in a suburban town? And for many of us out there who don't have one, would you feel better having one or do you think it would just be too much trouble?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I really dont think a security camera would do you much good unless you got very lucky. Odds are you get an image of someone but would not be able to ID them. I have never had problem, but the day I do I will be using a Picoboo 105 controller set up to trigger lights and sound when activated. It just seem to me that having half a dozen lights come on and a sound of your choosing come out of nowhere would be pretty effective.

·
spookiness in the suburbs
905 Posts
I use an IR security camera at night in conjunction with security lights that come on when someone enters the yard. This year I'm adding a game camera that has flash and/or IR illumination for high-quality stills.

Oh, and be sure to advertise that you're using video or other photo surveillance. Just wondering where the cameras are and how many there might be could be a good enough deterrent.

We live in a gated community, so the odds of non-residents running amuck are reduced. If someone messes up my stuff, they almost certainly live in my neighborhood, and there's a good chance that someone else will rat them out.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The first year we put out our Halloween display we had a few items taken. No big deal.
Then it happened again. Just small stuff, but it was annoying. Then we had a 6 foot lighthouse taken. That was it! We'd had enough. We installed 4 outdoor cameras with night vision. Halloween came and went without any problems.
Christmas came and sure enough a group of teenage girls took a lighted custom made sign.
But this time the cameras caught them in the act. We had them on tape. We filed a police report and the local news got a hold of it and we shared the video with them. They aired it, and about a week later the police called and they had part of the stolen items and the theives had to pay restitution for the other part they could not locate.

Everyone is well aware that we have cameras now and that they are being watched. The entire neighborhood watches out for our displays now and the cameras have paid for themselves.
I would highly recommend a camera system. We purchased ours from EZ Pro. We live in a housing development that is about 8 years old with a very low crime rate. It can happen anywhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been looking at cameras for the past two years but I can't seem to make up my mind..The big problem is that when it comes halloween or xmas I attend to buy on but then for the cost I say heck I can buy a new prop and then I don't buy it.. I do have one in mind on Amazon called Q-See QSC48030 with High Resolution but still haven't bought it. Well on the prop thing I bought this year a Light-O-Rama to do my lights and sound and I hope its worth it.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Undead Handyman
557 Posts

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
Cameras are great! Once you take a video tape of some lil puke in your yard and show it to the parents and threaten to take it to the PD if any problems happen in the area magically the issues stop and everyone knows you have them.Always have 1 out of site just for a little suprise. :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the good advice everyone! I've been doing a little research and I still need some advice on some things before I make my purchase. It's a big buy for me so I definatly want to make sure I don't buy the wrong thing.

1. as far as I can figure out you only need a camera, power supply, cable and dvr, right? And these can be purchased separately and are interchangeable between brands? It seems I can save some money by buying the least expensive dvr and 1 or 2 good cameras seperately rather than buying a 2 camera kit.

2. What quality camera do you use that you would think would be able to identify vandals? I've been looking at the 480 lines of resolution with 48 ir led's. Is this enough, is it overkill for a yard haunt 70 feet deep?

Thanks for you help :)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Yes I do use security cameras.

There are TONS of choices but I think I've narrowed it down to the best choices but its not cheap.

For your sanity's sake, do NOT buy wireless cameras. Its hit and miss at best. Go with wired.

Best website is coastalvideosecurity.com

I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Its also great for seeing trick or treaters at the door so you aren't glued to a window.

I have 8 total running in a DVR system tied to the internet.

Here is an example from last year :)

·
Registered
827 Posts
You want at least 480 lines of resolution per camera, night vision, and for the door, audio.

Also, be VERY careful about what DVR you purchase. Some claim to have 200 fps which sounds like a ton until you figure out they are splitting that between each camera you add.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I don't use a camera...

I don't put the "valuable" stuff out until the 31st...and there's a few things I bring in every night just to keep honest people honest.

Having had stuff stolen in the past (not Halloween stuff) I know that even when the court catches the perp redhanded, they don't really get punished and you don't recover financially or for the lack of a better word, emotionally.

·
Registered
625 Posts
^I don't get that??

I would use some anti-theft thing because you just can't trust people anymore. They will mess with it, or take it. It doesn't matter if it's a "bad" neighborhood or "good". We almost had a blowmold Santa Claus stolen before, but than they dropped it on the next street. I have seen kids hit my Frankenstein "garbage bag" until I ran after them.

Especially with kids, they are almost protected as nothing is going to happen if they do something wrong. It's a slap on the wrist, and they get away with it. It's only anything major, they go to that juvenille place. I think there is a certain age when you are know you are doing something you shouldn't be doing, and I think something more should happen to them when they steal cosmetics from Wal-Mart, or take Halloween props that cost you hundreds of dollars. Hey, even throwing eggs is really considered assault. It's all fun and games until someone gets one in the eye, and that's not good at all.

·
Registered
827 Posts
^I don't get that??
He poached that trash can without asking, filled it to the top with his trash.

I would use some anti-theft thing because you just can't trust people anymore. They will mess with it, or take it. It doesn't matter if it's a "bad" neighborhood or "good". We almost had a blowmold Santa Claus stolen before, but than they dropped it on the next street. I have seen kids hit my Frankenstein "garbage bag" until I ran after them.

Especially with kids, they are almost protected as nothing is going to happen if they do something wrong. It's a slap on the wrist, and they get away with it. It's only anything major, they go to that juvenille place. I think there is a certain age when you are know you are doing something you shouldn't be doing, and I think something more should happen to them when they steal cosmetics from Wal-Mart, or take Halloween props that cost you hundreds of dollars. Hey, even throwing eggs is really considered assault. It's all fun and games until someone gets one in the eye, and that's not good at all.
I've had mine for 5 years without any damage come to them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts