Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw a news story on UPS's decision to factor box size into its delivery cost. UPS is just one vendor but certainly alot of places I have ordered from use UPS and I have to say I have preferred them as a delivery service for many things. FedEx made a similar decision back in May on using dimensional input into pricing. From what I read the effective date for UPS' policy change will become effective December 29, 2014.

Do you think this will kill a lot of people buying halloween items and having them shipped? I'm wondering about places like GrandinRoad and BuyCostumes, and smaller businesses as well. Of course this has bigger implications across all buying and shipping, not just halloween buying, but it has got me wondering what the impact will be on our holiday purchases.

Apparently with online sales of items of like rolls of paper towels that are shipped in big boxes but weigh very little, I read that UPS was charging $8 for a shipment and that would now jump to $20...just one example sited. The move is intended to push shippers into using as small of a box as they can. I've had some deliveries lately in pretty flimsy boxes as stores' have moved to save on weight. Now with box size factored in not sure what to expect.

What do you guys think? Will people be more inclined to buy from brick and mortar stores who get large shipments from maybe their own trucks/warehouse setups and alternative freight companies?

Here's a NASDAQ article on how they looked at the news: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/ups-to-charge-packages-by-dimensional-weight--update-20140617-00814

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
I 'love' this line in particular: "The company believes the new pricing method will force shippers to reduce excessive packaging materials thus leading to reduce overall package sizes, and as a result will lower fuel and transportation costs."

This ridiculous regulation of everything needs to cease, and these greedy corporations would be wise to at least attempt to be more considerate of the limited budgets of many of their patrons (the 'peons' who just so happen to be the ones keeping them in business), not the worry of how to best pad the wallets of the CEOs and government constituents. When instituted, individuals and small businesses are really going to be SOL. Additionally, if the flimsier boxes with items crammed within equal more destroyed merchandise, as is very likely, how is that helping anyone? The economy is never going to turn around at this rate, since it is basically one step forward, one hundred backward. Caring solely about profits and throwing any common sense and compassion to the wind, the large companies are going to bring about their own deaths and come to find that no one is infallible (unless 'Uncle Sam' decides to forgive and bail them out, too:rolleyes:).

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,401 Posts
How many times has anyone here received a GIANT box with one teeny thing in it? It happens here at work all the time & at home I've gotten things in small boxes that could have been shipped in padded envelopes instead.

It's not a bad idea to try & make shippers use appropriate sized shipping materials but ultimately it's just another way to up the cost of shipping with them. Plus now I'll have to put in the dimensions of the things I send out since most of it isn't in a standard UPS box. It's just one more step but one I can skip now.

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This will definitely affect how I will shop online this halloween season. I'm going to look carefully for example at what GR is offering this year for halloween as far as big props, thinking this year might be the best time to add things like this to my haunt. Most of GR's life-sized props have been pretty light weight and so have really shipped for less than what other companies who have used carriers that charge by dimensional/weight calculations have.

With such a large shipper like UPS changing shipping calculations, I think it will have a huge impact on the shopping habits of consumers, unless UPS is going to offer special rates to their largest customers, but I doubt it. I know some companies/shippers get a volume discount but I can't see UPS waivering on dimensional pricing being factored in. I'm sure I'm not alone in placing items in an online shopping cart only to balk at shipping costs and dump the cart. If that turns out to be the case across the board with people, I would think fewer people will be doing their shopping online. So they have to factor loss of business into their quote as well, which I assume means increased prices anyway.

I have to wonder if Amazon's plan with expanding warehouse locations around the country isn't ultimate to bring delivery of product into their total control cutting out services like UPS and FedEx. Maybe they'll start their own trucking line too (Not everything can be delivered by little copters, which I still think is ill-conceived because of all the potential problems involved. Sure don't want one of their copters flying over my house).

·
Registered
670 Posts
UPS and FedEx negotiate rates with companies for how much they charge, which already negatively impacts individuals and smaller businesses. I imagine this will be more of the same - larger businesses will be able to negotiate, and smaller sellers will get a rate hike. I laugh that they even offer it as an option for Etsy sellers - USPS 2-day is often cheaper than UPS ground. But then, I'm one of those raging progressives who loves the post office. (I get good prices and service, I can't help it.)

I guess we'll see what the fallout looks like.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Thank the home shopping channels on cable. They're the primary culprits. My mother, who is physically handicapped, shops on TV constantly. I'd say at least half her deliveries arrive in far-too-large outer shipping boxes - and I'm talking boxes big enough to fit a dozen or more units of the single item she ordered.

EDIT: Hopefully, store chains will get a clue and offer "ship to store" as an option more often, though that typically doesn't work with seasonal Halloween stores, a great many of which are stocked only once or twice during the sales season.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,401 Posts
What am I missing? UPS has been doing this for years.
Right now dimensions are only a requirement if the package is oversized or a certain weight. At least that's the way our commercial account works. If you take things into a UPS Store it may be a different story but as of today I only fill in the weight field. It's there but it's not currently a requirement.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I can see this being an overall positive change. So many companies are horribly wasteful when it comes to packaging. There's no reason that a memory card I buy online has to come in a huge plastic "shoplifting-proof" container. For my wedding we received a bunch of tableware from heath ceramics, and each piece came separately in giant 2x2x2 boxes that were 90% peanuts. There's so much overpackaging we've just gotten used to, and most if it only last for the few moment it takes to unwrap what you've received then throw the packaging in the recycling (or even worse in the trash). If this actually does start to effect how sellers think about packaging, that could be a good thing. It is unfortunate from a halloween perspective since so much of what we buy is both large and lightweight, but I usually wait for free shipping deals regardless.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts