Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now i am talking out side of this forum, do you think that other people care about Halloween this year? In NYC it seem like they do this year. I have noticed that many of the hunts around the area are not open, and many pep are upset by this. They love to blame the economy, I dont seee it as that.

Guys i want to hear from you on this. Halloween should not be forgoten!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Halloween isn't what it use to be thats for sure. In my opinion, and I hate to say it but I think that Halloween is slowly fading away. I remember when there were haunted houses all over to go to, trick or treating started after it got dark, and more than just a couple of sporadic houses in a neighborhood decorated.

·
"They won't stay dead."
1,366 Posts
Oooh I hope not. We still have a fair amount of people who do some decorating in our neighbourhood. Nothing fancy really but the effort is there. I'm a long time Halloween lover and I am raising my kids to love it as I do. Trust me I can already see that familiar gleam in the eye of my 8 year old daughter, she is going to be a chip off the ole' block!! :D

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oooh I hope not. We still have a fair amount of people who do some decorating in our neighbourhood. Nothing fancy really but the effort is there. I'm a long time Halloween lover and I am raising my kids to love it as I do. Trust me I can already see that familiar gleam in the eye of my 8 year old daughter, she is going to be a chip off the ole' block!! :D
I am so happy to hear that! But you know what made me upset today was the other people in my bld, where like "oooo isn't it too early for all that! " I told them it is never to early! My supper came to me today and told me that it looked wonerful, i told him i was not done lol. But even though i live in a appartment, come on that is no excuss for you not to put stuff upp for other to see...... Let me tell you i know money is tight, but that is y they made .99 stores! lol. Where do you think i am getting all my stuff from, come on people! sorry i was just up set by the people i live around for their scroge like attiude today!!

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know what i need ideas on what i can do with my hallway out side my appartmant, can you guys give me ideas, has one one else or does any one have this issue? HELP!!??!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Sometimes I really think it's location that dicates the Halloween involvement.

Let's face it....times have changed and Halloween (or holidays in general) along with it. Fewer stay at home parents and/or working more hours = less time to get done up for trick or treating.

I grew up around families who's kids were in their costumes soon as they got home from school. Ate dinner in them and drove mom and dad crazy with "is it time yet, is it time yet". When dusk finally approached the kids were set free on the neighborhood and rarely did a parent follow in tow.

Things are certainly different now but I think it's up to people like ourselves to keep it alive. Pass it on to our children and grand children. It has become so comercialized (like every other holiday) and if this forum doesn't prove how you can still work around that and through a depressed economy then I don't know what can.

Keep the Spirit my friends!!! :D

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sometimes I really think it's location that dicates the Halloween involvement.

Let's face it....times have changed and Halloween (or holidays in general) along with it. Fewer stay at home parents and/or working more hours = less time to get done up for trick or treating.

I grew up around families who's kids were in their costumes soon as they got home from school. Ate dinner in them and drove mom and dad crazy with "is it time yet, is it time yet". When dusk finally approached the kids were set free on the neighborhood and rarely did a parent follow in tow.

Things are certainly different now but I think it's up to people like ourselves to keep it alive. Pass it on to our children and grand children. It has become so comercialized (like every other holiday) and if this forum doesn't prove how you can still work around that and through a depressed economy then I don't know what can.

Keep the Spirit my friends!!! :D

No i totally agree with you..... I just wish that people will put as much effort into halloween as they do Xmass. I am not saying everyone needs to go aginst everything they belive in, cause i do know that some rel. don't belive in it, and i respect that. But at the same time i know pep that are like i love horroe flicks and hate halloween. HOW IS THAT!?!?!? lol. O well it looks like this is just something we all on this forum will have to deal with all of our lives, we just have to recruit more people to our side.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Around here the do! I have so many neighbors with decor out already. It's awesome to see!! It's nothing major but just the fact they take the time to put out some little something. It's awesome. I so love this time of yr!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I hope it isn't slowly fading! I really didn't see any decor in my neighborhood until third week of September. Even then it was only a few jack o lanterns and such. Come the first day of fall it was like an awakening happened, I began seeing many fall wreaths, pumpkins, jack o lanterns, even a house in the court across the way has several tombstones and a grave digger in there flower bed outside there house. For the most part feel that unless you are a Halloween enthusiast it is still way early.

So in my neighborhood, I don't feel like it is fading ... just a bit early for most that is all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I wouldn't worry about Halloween disappearing any time soon.
We've been celebrating it in the UK for a few thousand years and it's as strong as ever.

I've always maintained that Halloween isn't a material thing, if you're not in the groove then no amount of cardboard skeletons, cackling witch dolls or pumpkin candles are going to help you. Halloween for me is about the change in the air, the falling leaves, the darker evenings, the props can certainyl help but they're all just garnish.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Well I know for sure that Larry that runs this forum is doing everything he can to keep Halloween alive! He even started a "Christmas Fan Club.com" site for the Halloween haunters from here that also love Xmas to go hang out in but still be in the company of our halloween gang.

So us guys over there had a talk when it all got started & had one idea in mind........it was having a place where xmas freaks come & slowly converting them to Halloween Haunters w/o them knowing what we were doing. (brain-washing methods are used!!)

So far it has been working!lol

As far as my opinion of halloween......well with the amount of merchandise the stores carry every year & the Halloween stores that go through all that trouble to set up all over the place, I think Halloween is alive & well & will continue to be. As long as there are people like us that go through all the effort we do to have houses that are special for everyone, there are gonna be kids & adults alike that pick up what we are doing & are gonna want to do it at there house.

People are under the impression it all cost so much money but as we long as we talk about building our own stuff & working on projects all year, people are gonna listen. I promote my North Carolina Haunters group everywhere I go. I look for people. I even found someone on Craig's List & at Lowes. This season I am going to work extra hard at promoting North Carolina's Haunters Group to the folks that come through my house. When they come through they all ask>>>>how do you do this? I'm gonna show them!!lol

One thing for sure, the social get together at my house this year after New Years for the North Carolina Haunters Group, well I'm so excited because so many new people are coming to this one I'm not sure they will all fit in my house>>>>>Now that makes me smile!!

the Muffster

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
I wouldn't worry about Halloween disappearing any time soon.
We've been celebrating it in the UK for a few thousand years and it's as strong as ever.
That's interesting. I've read several books on the subject of Halloween and I was under the impression that Halloween as most on this forum celebrate, is mostly American in origin. Sure there was Samhain/Celtic but that is not at all what we celebrate here in the U.S. I think that is what bodysnatcher is talking about. I hope Halloween is not fading but I know I am doing my part to keep it alive. If things ever get truely bad in our country we may very well go back to Halloweens Pagan roots and celebrate our harvests and prepare for the dark part of the year.

But I personally think that people seem to be less interested in lots of things now days. At least things that are person to person. Living here in the bible belt it seems the only social activity is going to visitation at the funeral home. Texting has completely changed dating and relationships. You could almost lose a friendship because you forget to put a smiley face in a text that could otherwise be considered sarcastic or mean. : )

·
"They won't stay dead."
1,366 Posts
I can tell you what I think is ruining the Halloween spirit, its gotta be one of my biggest Halloween pet peeves...parents taking their kids TOT at the local shopping mall. I honestly believe this is one of the big reasons we see such a decline in the number of kids TOT on the streets. I talk to people that have taken their kids and they say the mall was just packed...I just don't get it!! :(

I know what you mean about those texting icons too...things can be very quickly misinterpreted on a text these days so don't forget those little icons...lol :p

Can someone please tell me how to multi quote a message...how do I put 2 separate comments from users into my reply?? Haven't figured that one out yet...

·
Registered
60 Posts
That's interesting. I've read several books on the subject of Halloween and I was under the impression that Halloween as most on this forum celebrate, is mostly American in origin. Sure there was Samhain/Celtic but that is not at all what we celebrate here in the U.S. I think that is what bodysnatcher is talking about. I hope Halloween is not fading but I know I am doing my part to keep it alive. If things ever get truely bad in our country we may very well go back to Halloweens Pagan roots and celebrate our harvests and prepare for the dark part of the year.

But I personally think that people seem to be less interested in lots of things now days. At least things that are person to person. Living here in the bible belt it seems the only social activity is going to visitation at the funeral home. Texting has completely changed dating and relationships. You could almost lose a friendship because you forget to put a smiley face in a text that could otherwise be considered sarcastic or mean. : )

Fair points.
A lot of the pagan stuff has made it's way into the modern celebrations though. The dead, pumpkins (or turnips), bonfires, witches etc etc. It's only the chainsaw wielding psychos and some of the more human based Hollwood horror that are really new (and which really don't do it for me). I'm sure the vibe is very much the same now as it was 2000 years ago.
The point I was trying to make, albeit poorly, is that maybe there's a little something in the air at this time of year, and we dance to it's tune rather than it dancing to ours........
You just have to look at the kids in the supermarkets and how excited they get around the Halloween stuff to see that Halloween in its current form has a future. And here's that smiley ......

·
Registered
250 Posts
Crazy down here when people want to change that day kids go trick or treating because of school or church...there seems to be less and less stuff in the stores every year...we didnt even get a Spirit Halloween store this year :( Think they all need to sit down and watch Hocus Pocus and The Worst Witch.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well I know for sure that Larry that runs this forum is doing everything he can to keep Halloween alive! He even started a "Christmas Fan Club.com" site for the Halloween haunters from here that also love Xmas to go hang out in but still be in the company of our halloween gang.

the Muffster
Wow - thanks for the info, Muffy - I'm new here and hadn't realized that there was a sister site for Christmas - I'm even more into the Xmas deco than I am for Halloween!! Great to know that there's somewhere to go to share our passion for decorating once we've gotten past October 31st.

That will really keep me going - no after holiday let down - at least until we get to new years!! :D

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Definitely NOT slowing down in sales here....I've been going out every week and if I see something I like, I better get it then because by the following week 7 out of 10 times, it's GONE!....Our best haunt locally isn't doing a haunted house this year because of the recession so we may just go to Gettysburg for some of the ghost walks instead...Sounds like it could be fun...We will definitely do the local camp site haunted house...That's always a fun time!.....ZR

·
Registered
73 Posts
The point I was trying to make, albeit poorly, is that maybe there's a little something in the air at this time of year, and we dance to it's tune rather than it dancing to ours........
Elegantly put, and I totally agree.

Halloween ain't going anywhere. It's popularity wanes and waxes depending on just where you live, but fading? Not in a zillion years.

Oh and I second that hatred of the mall substitute for TOTing. Ludacris idea if there ever was one and it needs to be abolished.

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
Thank the maker halloween is huge where i live. It seems to get bigger and better every single year. Every year i buy more and more candy, and every year i still run out. I have alot of people who drive from other cities to come and see my display and i just love it.It makes it so fun to make so many people so happy. I have about 5 real good houses on my block that really put effort into thier displays, and i am rubbing off on people there to do more every year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts