Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe that Halloween is for the kids, and we adults just want to horn in on the fun. In that spirit, kids are invited to our Halloween party. We haven't had problems with kids in the past, but am wondering if anybody else puts a caveat on their invites. something along the lines of "Well behaved kids are welcome" or "Children are welcome (and delicious!), but for their safety we ask that parents please keep track of them"...or am i asking too much? We have a separate haunt, and there is glassware and props that are easily broken...
Any comments welcome...

·
Registered
702 Posts
I don't think that Halloween is for the kids, it's for everyone and it has a lot of history behind it for everyone to enjoy. :p

As for the kids, I wouldn't put much on the invite about watching out for their kids, just would seem kind of awkward. If you do, have some fun with it and put something like "Children are allowed if well behaved, otherwise the goblins and zombies might get them!". That way it doesn't come off as too straight forward. I don't know if I would use THAT exact wording, lol, but you get the idea.

Johnny

·
Ravenous Zombie
1,196 Posts
I don't bother mentioning anything like that in our invite. Kids are going to do what they do - there were some smaller props of mine that were broken despite the fact that the parents kept telling them to stop touching. It's annoying, but the party is a lot louder with kids around. Once they leave, it gets quieter. :)

·
STARK Raving Mad
937 Posts
I agree that Halloween is for the kids... but our party isn't on Halloween night, and it ISN'T for kids! We learned many years ago that young girls in skimpy, sometimes sexy costumes and drunk dirty old men just aren't a good combination. Plus, adults seem to be a lot more relaxed and have more fun if there are no kids around - especially their own. PLUS, some of our costumes tend to be a bit... well, you get the idea (and if not, then just check out some of our pics.

However, we do have an agreement with our next-door-neighbors (who always come to our parties) that we can use their house for babysitting. We have 2 teenagers that know how to babysit and we (they) charge $10/kid. The kids get to watch movies, play games, eat, drink, and/or sleep. They all show up in costume, and they all get "goodie bags" with toys & stuff. Meanwhile, their folks are only a house away. Talk about win/win!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I agree that Halloween is for the kids... but our party isn't on Halloween night, and it ISN'T for kids! We learned many years ago that young girls in skimpy, sometimes sexy costumes and drunk dirty old men just aren't a good combination. Plus, adults seem to be a lot more relaxed and have more fun if there are no kids around - especially their own. PLUS, some of our costumes tend to be a bit... well, you get the idea (and if not, then just check out some of our pics.

However, we do have an agreement with our next-door-neighbors (who always come to our parties) that we can use their house for babysitting. We have 2 teenagers that know how to babysit and we (they) charge $10/kid. The kids get to watch movies, play games, eat, drink, and/or sleep. They all show up in costume, and they all get "goodie bags" with toys & stuff. Meanwhile, their folks are only a house away. Talk about win/win!

You. Need. To. Invite. Me. To. One. Of. Your. Parties. :D

Finn

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LV - not a bad idea about the babysitter next door.
We ended up sending the invites without mentioning the kids.

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
That is a GREAT idea!! Certainly comes under the category of win/win in my book. Excellent planning!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did put a line in the 'fine print' of my invite stating that my home is not kid-friendly (no cabinet locks or socket blocks) and that parents would need to keep an eye on their kids. Personally I'm hoping that all opt for a babysitter, but as many of my friends have children, I'd rather have them there then opt not to come if they can't find a sitter.

·
Registered
98 Posts
We try to make it clear that we do NOT hold child friendly parties (which they all know from experience!), but still some people persist in bringing their children...

I have found myself arranging a few things for the kids now, because it keeps them occupied and less likely to fiddle/break stuff/punch people etc. Thankfully the worst offending kids (i.e. the two that spoil it for everyone) are not able to make it this year! Other parents (with kids who would actually behave) have already booked family to babysit because , frankly, they want a night off to drink with other adults. I think we might have 4 kids tops this year, aged 6, 9, 10 & 13, painfully well behaved and likely to be home with grandparents by 9, but who will want to come just to see everyone.

It's hard trying to find the wording to tell people that kids shouldn't really be brought, especially when they are in the habit of bringing them. I wish I'd made more effort in the beginning, rather than being a few years down the line cursing my weakness!

·
STARK Raving Mad
937 Posts
It's hard trying to find the wording to tell people that kids shouldn't really be brought, especially when they are in the habit of bringing them.
That's where a newsletter-style invitation really comes in handy; you can say stuff like that in the form of an article, and nobody gets offended. Take a look at our newsletters over the years. Most "issues" have an article about kids wanting to come to the party, but aren't allowed. In the past, we have also: chastised people for eating before coming to the party (we always have TONS of food), encouraged guests to bring friends, reminded guests that any friends that they DO bring with them ALSO need to bring bottles, etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts