1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,840 Posts
Personally I wouldn't do it. Especially this year since we've been overloaded with it all I'm just ready for it to be over with.

But I do give him credit for it because he's done it very cleverly by using zombies, skellies & art from high school kids. Plus he's a teaches American political history so he can use it at a teachable moment in some fashion.

And honestly, I like the fact that it's SOMETHING for Halloween even if it's political. That's better than nothing at all IMHO.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is in my neck of the woods. I pass by his place every year to see what he does. Last year it was Vietnam scene with zombie soldiers and a big helicopter. One year he did Romans and another a Civil War theme. Always with zombies though. They also usually do a massive snow fort in the winter. Dunno, I'm not a huge fan of the style and the themes he chooses because they aren't very Halloween. But it's more than most houses in this town do.

-TM

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
MOD NOTE:

PLEASE do not turn this thread into actual political debate. This subject is for discussing the idea of using a Halloween display in this way and whether you're for or against this... or even if you like the guy's props or painting technique or whatever - not your personal political beliefs or opinions. Any veering into actual political debate or other heated exchanges will be removed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
We have this thing near our home where Neslies is wanting to divert some of our artesian and undground sprins to open a nother bottling plant. The push is ffo and water first. to fight against a company making a profit from spring water when we where all put on a water ban this year because of drought. so everyone has navy ribbons to support the cause against Neslies new water bottling plant. That being said I have 2 of the skeleton horses from home depot I am putting up with a wagon and cart as part of my props. I have a reaper I was going to put out as well so I have decided to purchase 2 tin horse water pails, I am going to put white lites in the bottom of the 2 pails and have it so the reaper is carring the water buckets for the horses.
each bucket will have a big blue ribbon on it. So I am making a statement with my display but only one that people who know about and support the "Save our Water" movement will understand.
I guess it is political but not really..

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have done it. In fact one of my tombstones was made for a former Premier who ordered us back to work when we were on strike and cut our wages 15% and then turned around and gave himself and the other ministers a $50,000 bonus. He was always demanding that other ministers resign for all manner of reasons and then he was on holiday in Hawaii and was caught with a DUI after inhaling a few martinis and refused to resign. I made a tombstone with clipart showing a man in a business suit sipping a martini. It is still one of the most popular tombstones and people still come and take pics in front of it. Even people in his political party. :) I also made one for one of our former Prime Ministers and another Premier. All three tombstones now get blended in with the cemetery so unless people stop to read each tombstone they won't even notice them. People, regardless of political parties, seem to get a kick out of them. I change the names a bit, and give them a silly twist, but if you follow politics you know who they are, and for those who don't follow politics, they just kind of shrug and move on. It is obvious they don't get the references on the tombstones. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
As strongly as I and some of my friends feel about certain political things, we try to keep it out of our gatherings, period. Personally, I don't really like dated Halloween gags at all. For example, I always think of a amusement park Halloween show, and how they have to throw in topical jokes and references into the act. I don't find them all that funny, and they'll be cringe-worthy next year.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't want to because people complain about this. We do have a sign out for a 2016 senate candidate, and technically that's in with our display.

But the truth is, Halloween (costumes and masks especially) is about pop culture. And politicians have always been a part of that... they've had masks of Newt Gingrich to Richard Nixon to Bill Clinton. It's intended to be in fun.

·
Seer of All
2,940 Posts
Never never never. There are few things in life I hate more than politics so no way will they ever enter into my favorite holiday!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Never never never. There are few things in life I hate more than politics so no way will they ever enter into my favorite holiday!
Right there with you. US politics is almost enough to make me dread leapyears. Not only am I inundated with it, but it's not even my country!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Many years ago I had a small lapel pin on my wall that said:" Dan Quail.. a heartbeat away!' A local Representative saw it and said:"HEY!" (He was expressing a negative opinion of the pin) The pin was about 2 inches in diameter and was hanging on my wall in my house and a whole lot of others found quite a bit of humor in this...pin... so?
The "politics" of singling someone out to be made fun of or picked on might be a rather pumped-up form of "politics" conveying the message that someone who is noticeably different or different looking should be chased by an angry mob and killed, just because they seem different.
How many of we Halloween fans have ever felt as if we were being "voted against" by the rest of society with their prim and proper attitudes?
When i was a JC member and we went to the homecoming football game in Halloween costumes, someone yelled "Kill the Monsters!" and we had to run for our lives back to the car we had arrived in. The mob surrounded it, rocked it violently.
There were five of us versus 150 of "Them". I blocked one drunk's punches succesfully, even though my mask had one eye hole un-opened. He went to kick me, i grabbed and held his leg briefly, it was Very tempting to have thrown his leg up bringing him down.
That whole "Kill The Monsters" mentality was alive and well and very scary that night.
But then, who and how does someone become identified as a "Monster"?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I thought about getting a Trump sign, crossing out the T and P and having a RUM -- Make America Great Again sign with a pirate leaning against it drinking rum... but things have gotten so crazy around here with people taking down each other's signs and leaving dog and cat poo in each other's yards that I decided to not go there.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,840 Posts
This year, unless you're going to commit to something like the person in the original post, it's just not worth it. Which, regardless of party lines & beliefs, is pretty well executed.

But I do like the "RUM" idea. Keep it for next year maybe.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,840 Posts
Here's another one but not about our Presidential candidates
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/10/25/why-a-detroit-grandmas-halloween-display-depicts-police-shootings-and-the-flint-water-crisis/?hpid=hp_no-name_hp-in-the-news:page/in-the-news&utm_term=.287a6a78f736

My feelings on this is that we get bombarded with this stuff daily now, on the TV, in print, online, I prefer a "real" zombie right now over a political statement. I do get why they're doing this, it's just not MY thing but then I don't live that reality daily like some do.

I also like the idea that her grandkids are involved. They seem pretty aware of what's going on around them so that's always a good thing even if the things going on around them aren't good things, it's good to know that THEY know. It also seems to be affecting people in the way she intended & there's been no vandalism so far. Hopefully it will stay that way & all the media attention won't bring the vandals.

Also, even if you don't like it, it will be gone quickly since she does Christmas big time, another thing that makes me like her even more.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Many, many, many years ago we had some guy in a cheap suit wearing a latex Richard Nixon full-face mask, carrying a little hand- lettered sign that said, "PARDON ME!" mingling with our line-up. People thought he was part of our crew, but, no, he was just some passer- by having fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts