Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm waiting for my glue to dry on my newest creations I thought I'd ask how everyone's spouses feel about your love for the holiday.....

I have 3 boys...16, 10, 8....and have been married for 15 years....I have always went over the top for holiday decorating inside and out for all holidays, but Christmas and Halloween are my 2 biggies that I always add, redesign and get larger with and have my parties with. Now it's classy done, never like OMG that house is just trashy...scary yes...trashy no....so bottom line when I don't do as much the kids and the husband are *****ing that it's not festive enough...but I'm always the one to put up, take down etc....When I get excited and want to create something new and want to share I get :mad::confused::rolleyes: and always hear how I have enough, but I always recycle, reuse, sell, before spending a dime. So does anyone else have the same problem? I'm a real crafty creative person and when I always have to defend my hobby it makes me really ticked....I don't spend money on expensive shoes and purses and even for my birthday/Christmas I ask for what I love Halloween decorations and get told that's stupid and get stuff that I don't use...uhh:(

·
Registered
679 Posts
My wife is the one that started our decorating for Halloween. Now she just throws out ideas (most of which I grumble about and tell her I cant do it) but in the end i figure out how to do it and make it even better than she imagined. And when she sees it she usually has the "BIG O". So no I dont have that problem at all.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
My husband likes parties, so he'll usually give me some last-minute (day-of) help, but overall, I have to carry it myself. I have mixed emotions on that. I'd love to have him help throughout the year, but I wouldn't want to let go of my job as artistic director. It would be worse to have him enthusiastic, but with a completely different vision from mine.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My husband likes parties, so he'll usually give me some last-minute (day-of) help, but overall, I have to carry it myself. I have mixed emotions on that. I'd love to have him help throughout the year, but I wouldn't want to let go of my job as artistic director. It would be worse to have him enthusiastic, but with a completely different vision from mine.
This is me as well!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well dagon...I'm just looked at like the devil worshiper...lol....I just might dye my hair black this year...add in some purple and wear black for 31 days straight and see what they do...lol;)

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,610 Posts
My husband is OK with it but I do get crap for buying MORE stuff (which is why I'm selling some stuff now).

He's the one to find all the extensions cords, bring stuff up & down from the basement, he'll set up my blow molds outside, stuff like that. When it come to the actual creation of stuff, that's my department so since his skill set is different he helps when & where he can.

But I do trust his judgement on stuff. He's juuuust artsy enough that I can ask "what should I do here, red or black" or "should I leave this arm here or put it here?" He can see stuff from outside that I can't so he's pretty helpful in general.

He'd much prefer I had 2 Rubbermaid containers of stuff in total instead of almost an entire room, but I think he ultimately enjoys it all.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My hubby doesn't get why I'm so into Halloween, but his theory is "as long as it keeps wife happy, I'm happy".....

He realizes he could have it off way worse - a day of thrifting for Halloween stuff is probably one of the cheapest dates around! lol

He does love watching horror movies like I do - he's especially enjoyed it more as I've delved into the classics more and taught him a thing or two - and while he wasn't really into me working at the haunt last year, he's seen how much fun I've had, and he's met some of the really good people involved with it, so he MIGHT just help out with the haunt this year (though he was mentioning security, not the scare-acting) - hey, baby steps.....

It used to bother me a bit, but I just recognize it as having different passions in life - he'll probably never totally understand my love for Halloween, just like I'll never totally understand his love for sports - but as long as we always love and support each other in our passions, it's okay by me....

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,128 Posts
Well, I have talked my dilemma in other threads....so I will say it again here. Im with you thatmom! I don't spend $$ on bags, shoes,etc. Actually, while Im thrifting for halloween, I have found many clothes for myself at bargain prices and excellent brand names. But thats another story.

My hubby has come around more for halloween, he just doesn't want to start building or even shopping to sept or october. But the best is this : he's a mech engineer ! Can you imagine the things we could make (my ideas + his know-how)!!! This is the irony of it all. He does help me with bigger stuff, securing stuff (20 ft flag pole for our pirate mast 2 yrs ago) but my bro is usually the one that helps me decorate the week before.

·
Undertaker
3,263 Posts
Well, I have talked my dilemma in other threads....so I will say it again here. Im with you thatmom! I don't spend $$ on bags, shoes,etc. Actually, while Im thrifting for halloween, I have found many clothes for myself at bargain prices and excellent brand names. But thats another story.
AND into Halloween...Woo Hoo What a babe !

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
...But the best is this : he's a mech engineer ! Can you imagine the things we could make (my ideas + his know-how)!!! This is the irony of it all.
I'm not looking to trade in (or even supplement) my husband, but it's sort of my quiet fantasy to have an engineer or a robotics expert for a haunt partner. How it must burn to have an engineer husband who's not into the haunt!

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
My guy really likes the party portion of it...if it was up to him, he'd buy some beer, maybe throw out a pumpkin & call it a success. I, on the other hand, am on the opposite end of the spectrum. He does help schlep the heavy stuff, will run the power saws & equipment for bigger builds, has carpentry skills (he did build me the awesome swamp shack:D), but has nothing to do with the artistic vision. He dreads my Halloween setup melt downs, which I admit, are pretty fugly:eek: Over thinking everything is my kryptonite. It would be wonderful to have someone on the same page vision-wise, but unfortunately he's just not that sick and twisted.
Heh, probably a good thing in the long run!

·
Undertaker
3,263 Posts
I'm not looking to trade in (or even supplement) my husband, but it's sort of my quiet fantasy to have an engineer or a robotics expert for a haunt partner. How it must burn to have an engineer husband who's not into the haunt!
Engineers are often ridiculous perfectionists who cannot see the forest due to all the indigenous trees.

·
Undertaker
3,263 Posts
My guy really likes the party portion of it...if it was up to him, he'd buy some beer, maybe throw out a pumpkin & call it a success. I, on the other hand, am on the opposite end of the spectrum. He does help schlep the heavy stuff, will run the power saws & equipment for bigger builds, has carpentry skills (he did build me the awesome swamp shack:D), but has nothing to do with the artistic vision. He dreads my Halloween setup melt downs, which I admit, are pretty fugly:eek: Over thinking everything is my kryptonite. It would be wonderful to have someone on the same page vision-wise, but unfortunately he's just not that sick and twisted.
Heh, probably a good thing in the long run!
You are most fortunate. Too many chiefs and not enough injuns make for a lousy Halloween. There is only one chief in my clan......

And while she's gone; I'm in charge....

·
Registered
902 Posts
My wife hates the "off season ", drives her nuts when I'm out in the shop building stuff, but come the end of July she starts getting into it ( just another reason to shop I'm guessin,hahaha) but she helps ALOT when it's needed so I can't complain.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,128 Posts
Engineers are often ridiculous perfectionists who cannot see the forest due to all the indigenous trees.
True sometimes. I love to prove him wrong when I ask for advice on sustaining a prop or structure, and he's wrong and Im right....hmphhh....what does matrixdad know anyways....:D

·
Registered
453 Posts
My wife gives me "great ideas" then makes me do most of the work. She'll paint but other then that she says "i am just trying not to be in the way"

1 - 20 of 50 Posts