Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
I agree with most people on here in regards to the gore. I love the creepy aspects of Halloween.
I really don’t understand the interest in things that are realistically gory. When I see something that includes guts, blood, gore I just shake my head. I am not sure who this is really supposed to appeal to either.
I think those who love gore are a subset of folks who enjoy professional haunts that cater to that genre. If you look at TransWorld's Halloween, the amount of gore and guts is overwhelming. They are the shock jocks of the Halloween world. They have thousands of attendees, so there is definitely an audience for what the vendors are selling. We're just not those kind of folks.

We will watch people's videos of the shows, but never attend one. We are not their target audience.They cater to the haunt industry more than home haunters who think not traumatizing little kids is part of the goal. But, we're all for everyone enjoying what they enjoy, including those who think sawed in half people with their guts hanging out is what Halloween is all about. Then again, TransWorld's Halloween is also moving into Christmas decorations along with their Halloween fare. They are taking a Halloween tradition and letting Christmas creep into it more and more each year. So as far as we're concerned, they violate a sacred tenet not to dump Christmas right on top of Halloween. That more than any guts and gore is too awful for us to ever tolerate.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
There are just some things that are obviously not on, especially in certain areas. Like I would never do a hung skeleton from a tree living in the south. Probably wouldn't do it anywhere else because of the strange fruit association.

I try to avoid anything that would be appropriative.

I don't do anything as a jump scare because so many of my friends have anxiety.

I just try try to make a nice spooky ambience that everyone can enjoy.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Like many here, I'm going for a spooky ambiance, not a gore fest. I want the little children to come to my door, not run screaming, and I don't think my much older neighbors would appreciate a gory or super realistic display. I also have a six year old - I have to make her home comfortable for her.

I would not do something political - not my style.

I have an added wrinkle. I chose to make my graveyard themed with different pop culture fandoms. Most of my stones are more oblique references to the material, not just stones with the names of things I like. So while I want my stones to reference the properties that I enjoy, I also don't want to spoil things in them either. I'm a little more lenient with adult properties since adults can choose what to watch themselves, but I get kids of all ages running through, and I don't want to spoil something that they're not quite old enough to have seen/read yet. The one that really had me thinking was the Harry Potter themed stone. I wanted to do a stone for one of the characters, but the big deaths in the series are enormous spoilers, if, like my kids, they worked through the series slowly, only doing the first few for a while, and saving the later, darker ones for when the kids are older. I eventually settled on doing one for Lily and James Potter, because that kinda made it obvious what it was referencing, and it's not a spoiler - they're already dead right at the beginning, but are still a big part of the story. It helps that the stone was seen both in the book and the movie.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
TransWorld's Halloween is also moving into Christmas decorations along with their Halloween fare. They are taking a Halloween tradition and letting Christmas creep into it more and more each year. So as far as we're concerned, they violate a sacred tenet not to dump Christmas right on top of Halloween. That more than any guts and gore is too awful for us to ever tolerate.
Ohnononono...that is wrong on so many levels.

I love Halloween first with Christmas a close second. I don't do big stuff outdoors but inside it's pretty much like vintage Christmas threw up.

It's bad enough all the stores start Christmas in September before Halloween but I thought Transworld was Sacred Ground for Halloween Haunts & haunters of all types. I've never been but it seems as though they do tend to cater to the "big boys" in the game but I still enjoy seeing the vids & products in them & getting inspiration for stuff.

I know, I know, it's all about the $$$ for these companies & it's just another way to bring in the business but it still seems wrong.

And honestly, as someone who likes Christmas I really don't wanna see it next to bloody corpses, vampires & zombies.

I do wonder why so many big haunts rely on gore. I guess they're pandering to the "masses" & it's an easy gross out & distraction. Same with jump scares & chainsaws, easy & obvious.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've never been much for the gore thing. More Addams Family than Texas Chainsaw Massacre around here. But for several years, I had a basket full of bloody severed arms and legs. I got rid of them a long time ago. Mostly, my skellies wore clothes--Hawaiian shirt or disco duds for Club Dead for example. No blood. They played poker with giant cards, and a mermaid was serenaded by her ukelele playing boyfriend.. I guess the most controversial thing we ever did was to use our tiki torches to light the yard up a bit. Who knew that some assmonkeys would carry them in their hateful rally? This year, we will have skeletons (undressed, except for a couple of tasteful accessories) and our lunging reaper, and all the random bits to pop out at the TOTS. No blood. No gore. No nooses. Some jack-o-lanterns. Spooky music.

I never thought about the strobes being a danger. In the past, I have suffered seizures, but lights never triggered them. Maybe I should rethink the flashing lights. I'm already a bit concerned about the many children today who are allergic to nuts. Well, there's a few months ahead to think about it.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
Halloween seems to be one of those holidays that runs the gamut on decor moreso than Christmas (just IMHO).

You can do gore if it's your thing, you can do static creepy if that's your thing, you can go in the kiddie inflatable direction, the cute direction, you can have just zombies, you can do aliens, you can do all blow molds, witches, all JOLs, you can have bloody everything, there just seems to be a myriad of ways to decorate for Halloween & I love it all.

Is all of that my taste? Nope. Some of it is but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate seeing it all.

So if you have an abbatoir as your theme, I wanna see it. If you have nothing but inflatables, I wanna see that too. I'm just happy that anyone decorates for our holiday.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
Halloween seems to be one of those holidays that runs the gamut on decor moreso than Christmas (just IMHO).

You can do gore if it's your thing, you can do static creepy if that's your thing, you can go in the kiddie inflatable direction, the cute direction, you can have just zombies, you can do aliens, you can do all blow molds, witches, all JOLs, you can have bloody everything, there just seems to be a myriad of ways to decorate for Halloween & I love it all.

Is all of that my taste? Nope. Some of it is but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate seeing it all.

So if you have an abbatoir as your theme, I wanna see it. If you have nothing but inflatables, I wanna see that too. I'm just happy that anyone decorates for our holiday.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I don't like blood & gore, either. My whole cemetery leans toward silly but I'm slowly trying to up the "creepy" along with the humor. Skeletons doing a conga line aren't my idea of scary!

I love the conga line idea! We always did the scary/funny yard haunt too as we had lots of little TOTers... They especially loved the “Cheverly Hillbillies” theme with the skeleton in the outhouse. Once they figured out what an outhouse was for, they thought it was hysterical and asked to have it out every year!

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have neither taste or decency.....but I make a great lasagna!
Most breaches of decorum and etiquette can be forgiven with a healthy serving of really great lasagna. It's why we hand out lasagna instead of candy at our haunt. (The kids know they've shown up too late at night when all they get is a little bag of tortellinis.)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
We only recently moved to a neighborhood where we could do Halloween displays. Our neighborhood is primarily very little children and I’ve always focused on spooky more than horror. I appreciate the horror displays but am not looking to end up on the news or our town Facebook site.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Tell the story you want, who cares what others think... I suddenly feel the urge to create a slenderman, slenderwoman, slenderperson (whatever is politically appropriate these days) theme.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Tell the story you want, who cares what others think... I suddenly feel the urge to create a slenderman, slenderwoman, slenderperson (whatever is politically appropriate these days) theme.
A whole family of slender people, Mama, Papa, and baby out terrorizing folks as a family outing. What a concept. :)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Two rules at our place. No Gore. No Contact. Nobody gets touched.
On the nobody gets touched comment, last year we had a lot of people wanting to touch our displays, which were behind fences. I had a small child stomp a light as well and then said.. that light isn’t working. What do you do to deter touching? I mean don’t get me wrong, I want people to enjoy it and at the same time I’d like to not have things destroyed.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts