Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any competition in their neighborhood? I have 1 on my street, but they do not even come close, it might actually be fun if we liked them but they are not good people... I have 2 more houses behind me that go all out. It is fun with them becuase they are cool people. Just curious if you guys have any rivals. A lot of people decorate in my area but not on my street. I wish more people got into it more. Almost everyones houese look good regardless if its big or small.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Over the years that I did major decorating there has never been anyone for miles around that had much more than a pumpkin on the porch. Back in the day when people came here they were here for awhile......trying to find a place to park, then the line to get in the house, a line for where we took family pictures, and onto the Cadaver Kitchen where bags of freshly popped popcorn were given out, then the treats were handed out.....further down the tour freshly baked brownies were given to both the kids and adults. And then there was the outside decorations at the end of the tour. They were here awhile!lol

The only thing I don't miss is baking, cutting and wrapping those 700 brownies...oh man that was a project in itself! Try doing that 2 days before Halloween!

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
I wish...
There are a couple houses a 5 minute drive from our place. And they aren't all that. On our sreet last year, not a single pumpkin. Some homes have gated entrances; you guessed it, locked for the night. As a result we can only expect to see maybe 200 intrepid TOT's, many of whom are drive ups.
Like Muffy, we yearn for the gool ole days...

·
Registered
268 Posts
For years we were the only ones in our neighborhood who went all out and though there was no real competition, I always thought that would be fun! Due to a series of unfortunate life altering situations, I had to sit out last year which gave me a chance to sit back and watch the not so friendly competition between my parents and their neighbors. Everyday something new was put up at one house and then the other. It was very comical to me and also kept my spirits up because I knew at the end of it all the kids would be the winners.

·
Registered
865 Posts
There is a house in the neighbourhood that the media visits almost every year. They put up an 8 foot chain fence and then pack the inside with every life sized prop I have ever seen - static and some animated. Really, you can't look away. The props are absolutely crammed into the front yard, basically lined up in rows. No fancy lighting or fog or sound. They do serve coffee and get lots of visitors every year. The house is about a 5 minute walk away from my place.

My place is moody, rustic and spooky. It is also interactive since it is not behind a fence. Except for the workshop where you have to view through the window, TOTs can visit the various areas and talk to the haunters who are in costume and in character. I have sound and lighting and sometimes fog (depends on the weather - it is quite cold at Halloween). I always have a game on the theme with small prizes and offer hot apple cider.

There are no other haunts in the immediate neighbourhood - some neighbours have pumpkins, skeletons, or an airblown prop or two.

Our two haunts are so different they don't really compete although they typically get the media attention since they are so over the top. I like to think we attract TOTs to each other's haunts.

·
Spookiest Lady in Pa!
933 Posts
I don't have any competition around my area. I'm the only one in town that decorates and goes all out for Halloween. The last couple years my next door neighbor's put up some spider web and signs but that's it. People in my area used to decorate whenever I was little but not much anymore. Every year we have people stop by and tell us how much they love our display and that we're the only one in town that decorated. Some people only come as far as my house to trick or treat and to see our display and then turn around and go back. I feel bad for my neighbor on the other side because half the people don't even go to their house they only cpme down to trick or treat my house.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
I don't consider it competition; it's amazingly wonderful if any other house in the area puts up even a string of lights as far as I'm concerned. ;)

I rarely get to see any other houses on Halloween night since I'm doing my own thing at home, but I do know several in surrounding streets that do decorate in the weeks before. And apparently there is at least one other crazy Halloween house pretty close because the guy walked over to ours a few years back and mentioned he had to see our setup (it was the first year we got to do the full creepy carnival theme) as he kept having kids tell him about the crazy decorations and he said he was going to have to up his game. :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't consider it competition; it's amazingly wonderful if any other house in the area puts up even a string of lights as far as I'm concerned. ;)

I rarely get to see any other houses on Halloween night since I'm doing my own thing at home, but I do know several in surrounding streets that do decorate in the weeks before. And apparently there is at least one other crazy Halloween house pretty close because the guy walked over to ours a few years back and mentioned he had to see our setup (it was the first year we got to do the full creepy carnival theme) as he kept having kids tell him about the crazy decorations and he said he was going to have to up his game. :D
I think its a fun competition and as Spooky McWho said its the ToTs that win. I wish more people on my street would do it. There are only a few. I even enjoy seeing the ones that just put out the small graveyards or the blowups. Because its fun and exciting seeing the neighborhood decorated. The only one I dont like it the one a few houses down. The teenagers are theives, they have stole from us a few times. Not decorations but a lot of other things. Cops are at their house often. You can here them sceaming at each other a few days a week. Ugh just cant with them. Everyone else I really enjoy seeing.

·
Seer of All
2,940 Posts
My feelings, exactly! Plus, I have no desire to compete with anybody but I would love it if my neighbors felt the need and tried to "outdo" me. That would make for a crazy good time on Halloween night!
The only house that does anything notable is on the main road outside my neighborhood and all they do is LITERALLY cover every inch of their yard with giant inflatables. I have nothing against using an inflatable or two but they use so many it doesn't even look like a Halloween display; it looks more like they sell inflatables for a living. Like a christmas tree lot, only with inflatables! :D I guess the little kids like it though.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Not really. A couple do inflatables but nobody really tries or does anything special for Halloween night. Mostly, you get some store-bought decorations thrown outside and even those are few and far between. Last year, I think there were 3-4 of us on my street that had anything out and I had them all beat by a long shot. Besides, how is it competition? I wish every house decorated.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree Kwll I think the word competition might be being taken out of context a little. Because I dont mean it in a rude way. I mean in a fun, healthy way. Its fun to see others step up their game and some houses encourage me to step mine up. All in good fun though. Just to enjoy each other work and creativity. I love seeing what other people do and that one of the reasons I am here, there are a few but not many in my area that go as crazy as I do. The funny thing is my husband and kids tolerate what I do and that might be a stretch lol. They help a little but with builds and setup but most of everything inside and out is done by me.

·
Registered
706 Posts
There is a haunt on the next block over, who I have worked for in the past, and we jokingly refer to each other as the competition. We used to visit each other at the end of Halloween night, but they've grown into a bigger paid pro haunt so that's kind of stopped now. But other than that, not much going on, not a lot of houses with the light on - though I've seen more around town in the last couple of years.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I used to be it in our small suburban neighborhood. Every year the kids would come back and verify that I had the best house in the entire neighborhood. But last year a true rival popped up directly across the street. He freighters me because he has much deeper pockets than I do, but honestly I wished more would participate. He has always setup some things on Halloween, but last year he opened up the wallet and added a lot of animatronics. He's already asked me what I'm adding this year. Part of me considers it a rivalry, part of me sees it as help. I don't do this to have bragging rights locally, but it's nice. I prefer for the kids to have memories of Halloween for years to come and the more neighbors that participate, the better. Around me most setup a carved pumpkin and that's about it. I like being the house all the kids look forward to, but I like the ideal of being the street the kids look forward to even more.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
There's one other guy in my neighborhood that does a full yard display like I do, but its not a competition because his is better than mine and I love it! The only thing I don't like is that he is on the main road through the neighborhood and I am on a dark 10 house cul de sac, so he gets more ToTs than me. We have some new neighbors this year so it will be fun to see if they are into decorating.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I live a few houses down from a bigger street and there was a insanely cool house on the other side of the main street. I could see it from my yard. I used to love going to see what he had every year. I was sad when they sold their house. I couldnt even imagine being on that level. It doesnt stop me from trying though. I know a lot of people say the get X amount of ToTs every year, I dont even know how they keep count. I just know we get a TON.... Several people that come to my Halloween parties bring a few big bags of candy, and we have several big bags oursleves and we always run out. People bring kids here from a lot of places and we have a ton of apartments just below my housing tack. I love when kids and adults ask me ( So what are you doing this year?) As the see me out in my garage working on projects.

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
2,006 Posts
I walk & drive around the night before H'ween to see if anyone else in my 'hood has done anything. I found a couple to stop & check out within a 10 minute walk from my house, but mostly I was sad about how few people even had so much as a pumpkin out! Very minimal stuff on my entire street - it's a good thing I'm right in the middle of the 3 blocks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would love it if more people did decorate, but most don't here. I live in a quiet neighbourhood, and hardly anyone does Halloween. I get really excited if I see a pumpkin, never mind a display! We do get a few TOTs as there is nothing else around, and it makes me smile to see them enjoy our haunt. It would be nice to see more from others though, inspiration and friendly competition are great motivators!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live in a newly built subdivision and the first year they had a competition voted on by the neighbors and I won. The next yea4 samething now we don’t do it because no one co es close I hav3 people from adjacent counties visit my yard I add something every day and they drive by to watch my progress. We do have several houses that decorate just not as exteme as mine. I wish my whole cule sac decorated but they don’t except for Christmas.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts