Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty fortunate that the wife is as big of a horror nut as I am and we have subsequently established a lot of "horror flick traditions" over the years. It's become seasonal - example certain flicks are "summertime only" ie movies with campers getting picked off or some movies are Christmas Only (Black Christmas, SNDN etc) but the Halloween season has become a marathon of classic horror and various other entries.
We do pretty much the entire Universal, Hammer and Bava libraries this time of year.

That said, Halloween Night has been formalized with a showing of Night of The Living Dead during the trick or treat hours then afterwards Trick r Treat has secured a spot.. If there's any gas left in the tank we'll put in a late-night watch of Halloween II (original of course) as no flick captures those special hours when the candles are dying off and a few straggling jacks remain lit...

Anyone else do anything similar?

·
Moonlighter
2,593 Posts
I am pretty fortunate that the wife is as big of a horror nut as I am and we have subsequently established a lot of "horror flick traditions" over the years. It's become seasonal - example certain flicks are "summertime only" ie movies with campers getting picked off or some movies are Christmas Only (Black Christmas, SNDN etc) but the Halloween season has become a marathon of classic horror and various other entries.
We do pretty much the entire Universal, Hammer and Bava libraries this time of year.

That said, Halloween Night has been formalized with a showing of Night of The Living Dead during the trick or treat hours then afterwards Trick r Treat has secured a spot.. If there's any gas left in the tank we'll put in a late-night watch of Halloween II (original of course) as no flick captures those special hours when the candles are dying off and a few straggling jacks remain lit...

Anyone else do anything similar?
Absolutely! Tradition at my house is all afternoon spent in a near-panic state of rushing to set up the haunt in the yard (I'm a day of haunter due to fear of theft of my pretties, so I don't put anything out in advance) Usually finish seconds before the TOTers arrive. After the candy hours are over, everything goes back in the dining room in a massive heap to be disassembled/packed up later. Then we usually order pizza or some other fare and settle in for at least 2 to 3 horror movies with all the lights off for the rest of the night. My only problem is deciding which movies to watch on the big night. I watch a lot of them in the weeks leading up to Halloween, so I check a lot off my list. Thinking I might try The Conjuring for TOT night as I haven't seen that one yet. Gotta love a good horror movie to end up the day! :)

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
I usually stick on TCM, they usually run old horror flicks all day.

Here's this years Halloween lineup for TCM:

31 Thursday

6:00 AM
CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, THE (1957)

A scientist's attempts to create life unleash a bloodthirsty monster.
Dir: Terence Fisher Cast: Peter Cushing , Hazel Court , Robert Urquhart .
C-83 mins, TV-14, CC, Letterbox Format

7:30 AM
MUMMY, THE (1959)

A resurrected mummy stalks the archaeologists who defiled his tomb.
Dir: Terence Fisher Cast: Peter Cushing , Christopher Lee , Yvonne Furneaux .
C-88 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

9:00 AM
HORROR CASTLE (1963)

A Holocaust survivor tortures women in the dungeons of an ancient castle.
Dir: Anthony Dawson Cast: Rossana Podestà , Georges Rivière , Christopher Lee .
C-84 mins, TV-14, Letterbox Format

10:30 AM
CASTLE OF THE LIVING DEAD, THE (1964)

A traveling circus entertains a medieval count who uses them in his bizarre experiments.
Dir: Michael Reeves Cast: Christopher Lee , Donald Sutherland ,
BW-90 mins, TV-14, Letterbox Format

12:15 PM
DRACULA, PRINCE OF DARKNESS (1965)

Four travelers unwittingly revive the bloodsucking count.
Dir: Terence Fisher Cast: Christopher Lee , Barbara Shelley , Andrew Keir .
C-90 mins, TV-14, CC, Letterbox Format

1:45 PM
DEVIL'S BRIDE, THE (1968)

Small town Satanists lure an innocent brother and sister into their coven.
Dir: Terence Fisher Cast: Christopher Lee , Charles Gray , Nike Arrighi .
C-96 mins, TV-14, CC, Letterbox Format

3:45 PM
DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE (1969)

Dracula goes after the niece of the monsignor who destroyed his castle.
Dir: Freddie Francis Cast: Christopher Lee , Rupert Davies , Veronica Carlson .
C-92 mins, TV-14, CC, Letterbox Format

5:30 PM
HORROR EXPRESS (1972)

An anthropologist discovers a frozen monster which he believes may be the Missing Link.
Dir: Eugenio Martin Cast: Christopher Lee , Peter Cushing , Telly Savalas .
C-88 mins, TV-14, Letterbox Format

7:15 PM
NOW PLAYING NOVEMBER (2013) (2013)

BW-21 mins, TV-PG, CC,

8:00 PM
PIT AND THE PENDULUM (1961)

A young man investigates his sister's death in a mysterious castle.
Dir: Roger Corman Cast: Vincent Price , John Kerr , Barbara Steele .
C-80 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

9:30 PM
HAUNTED PALACE, THE (1963)

After inheriting a decaying estate, a man discovers his family's deadly secret.
Dir: Roger Corman Cast: Vincent Price , Debra Paget , Lon Chaney [Jr.] .
C-87 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

11:15 PM
MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH, THE (1964)

A sadistic nobleman isolates his court from a world stricken with the plague.
Dir: Roger Corman Cast: Vincent Price , Hazel Court , Jane Asher .
C-89 mins, TV-14, CC, Letterbox Format

1:00 AM
ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES, THE (1971)

A madman uses the plagues of ancient Egypt to avenge his wife's death.
Dir: Robert Fuest Cast: Vincent Price , Joseph Cotten , Virginia North .
C-95 mins, TV-14, CC, Letterbox Format

2:45 AM
TWICE-TOLD TALES (1963)

A poisonous young beauty, the secrets of eternal life and a haunted house chill this collection of Nathaniel Hawthorne stories.
Dir: Sidney Salkow Cast: Vincent Price , Sebastian Cabot , Mari Blanchard .
C-120 mins, TV-14, CC, Letterbox Format

5:00 AM
TOMB OF LIGEIA, THE (1964)

A man's obsession with his dead wife leads to trouble for his new bride.
Dir: Roger Corman Cast: Vincent Price , Elizabeth Shepherd , John Westbrook .
C-82 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
Yep. After the trick or treaters have gone to bed we always have a few people over after. Have some food, watch Wolfman, and talk about the evenings experiences. After that we usually all sit around and watch whatever specials are on, but Wolfman is always the first watch of the night.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I have an all day movie marathon on Halloween. Today I got a three pack of Halloween sequels and I'm hoping for a Halloween themed Big Bang Theory episode. Trick R Treat and Hocus Pocus are staples.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I usually rent different horror movies each year around Halloween, to keep it different. As for tradition we always put the names of the movies in a hat and which everyone gets drawed out we watch it first. Now back in the day I was known to throw a pretty crazy halloween party....

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm set in my ways with what I watch on Halloween night. If I'm home I'll watch whatever comes on TV up until 10:00 PM that's Halloween-based. At 10:00 I watch the original Halloween film. After midnight I don't feel the "Halloween vibe" anymore and I usually head to bed. Last year my husband/friends and I were puttering around the haunted areas of Easton, CT (the Warrens' stomping ground) because our power went out due to Hurricane Sandy. Should get back to my normal schedule this year.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Man, I can't even RELATE to watching movies on Halloween Night. Non-stop kids outside, you must be joking!

But I'd rather it's madcap than be quiet... Plus, this year, there's a football game on during TOT hours, I MIGHT be able to catch a few glances at the TV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts