Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in a milder climate and get a ton of TOT'ers so we've found it is easier to sit outside and hand out candy. We tried the first years to sit on the porch, but it seems like we had traffic jams on the steps and a few kids would invaritably slip and wipe out. So now we set up in the front yard, which makes it a whole lot easier. This year the singing pumpkins will be on the top step, blocked of so kids can't climb up. I think it will make a good stage and keep them above the fog hopefully.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Depends how cold it is. Last year I bought a beautiful, long black gothic cape to go with my long black dress. So that keeps me very warm. And I have a heavy cloak that I can use as well.

Mostly I am outside but I do run in and out a lot. Between 6 and 8pm I like to be out and enjoy the decorations and night air.

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
i had originally planned on handing candy out from inside the house. just opening the door and dropping a few pieces in their tot buckets... but they started showing up as i was putting the finishing touches on my yard and it was pretty busy from then on, even with only 30something tot's. i would have got aggravated if i'd tried doing it from inside because just as i'd sit down more would come up... so im glad it happened like it did and now i plan to just continue doing it that way.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Outside. I started doing it that way when I got my dog, she goes nuts when the doorbell rings (even if its on tv). It's nice to get to see peoples reactions to my decorations too. I'm going to put the jumping spider out front this year with a sign that says step here if you dare.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The whole block sits out and hands out candy and they like to watch the kids run away from my house. They think of it as a show. A few neighbors said they haven't handed out candy in a few years but now they enjoy doing it because of us.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I like to stay inside. That way, I can have the drama of opening the door on the little buggers....;)

'Cuz even if I don't dress for scary, the very speed of opening the door can startle the little ones.

·
Registered
254 Posts
We stay inside, but this year, my neighbors are going to be outside (I am at the entrance to the circle) with a fire going.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
I either sit near the lawn or in the garage, depending on just how cold it is (as well as other weather conditions). I do that partially so that nothing is stolen or broken, plus it is more entertaining to see the reactions firsthand.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,583 Posts
We set up outside. It's usually really nice and we love hearing the shrieks and giggling and talking to the neighbors.

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,672 Posts
Unless it's raining, I sit outside the front door to hand out candy, for the same reasons others have stated, plus to have a clear vantage point so I can startle the ToTs walking past my hidden speakers ;).

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Steady stream of TOT's dictates that treat distribution be conducted on the front steps. It's a covered area with decorations and a sound system, black lighting, of course. We put a few chairs out for adults who want to socialize.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Being in So Cal, we can sit outside. We also have a solid stream of ToTs for about 2 1/2 hours. so it would be impractical to open the door. Even when we lived somewhere without quite the traffic, it was nice to be outside to be able to talk to the parents and neighbors.

·
Seer of All
2,936 Posts
We sit outside at the end of the driveway. Way too many kids to stay inside and answer the door, plus the dogs get very stressed with so many door knockers.
Another benefit is that no one has to see the back of my display and all the not-so-magical details like stakes, pipe, light cords, etc., which they would if they came all the way to the door.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
54 Participants
Dr. Phibes
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing