Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love coming up with themes every year for my Halloween installation. Some of my themes have included:

Salem Witch Trials
Asylum for the Criminally Insane
Classic Monsters
Wicked West

This year the theme is "Raising The Dead" - occult, mediums, seances, Houdini....

Just wondered if everyone does a theme based Halloween and if they would like to share their ideas.

·
Registered
166 Posts
So far I've done 'traditional halloween' then 'Harry Potter halloween' and this year I'm doing 'toga party halloween' :)

I like themes but next year I'm going to go back to 'regular halloween'. I think that might be my long-term plan, do a specific theme one year, then do normal halloween bits the next.

·
Registered
185 Posts
No special themes here, just Halloween. mostly becouse they don't sell a lot of things here, and i can do a bit of DIY but i'm not great at it...lol and i have limited storage..boohoo....
Sometimes i do a theme in one room, but that's it!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't have one theme for my events but every room or space has a distinct theme and this had worked well for me. Every year I add or expand and it's nice to not be restricted to one theme while shopping, or scavenging whichever the case might be.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I currently don't do themes just because I don't have enough of one thing to do so but I am working on building up my collection. I just do "Halloween". Anything that looks cool enough to buy is put up. I have thought about it though because some people on here are just amazing at doing themes and decorating accordingly.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Technically, I suppose. My "theme" is just a forgotten graveyard next to the caretaker's house. (although, it's really in the front yard, since I don't have a large side-yard anymore)

I would like to do a concept theme like I see other people doing, but I can't afford to make or buy new things each year and change it out. Maybe someday--but not now.

I know it's a little too cute for the taste of most, but I wouldn't mind doing a Charlie Brown Halloween theme some year. I've always wanted to make a Snoopy house to decorate for the "other" holiday--just like he does in the show. Why not do Halloween too? :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I usually go with the same stuff each year. I just try and arrange some things differently, or bring in a few new pieces. Prior to this year, I didn't get into making my own crafts/props too much, so since I'm doing so now..it will amp up my Haunted Manor theme I do in the living room. I would love to do totally different themes each year, but just too much $$...even if I make the stuff myself ;) but my guests always love what I put up, even if they've seen it before!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with you HarvestMooon. It is too expensive even when you make them yourself. I just moved and I'm using some of the boxes for props butt now I'm thinkin' I may not be able to finish them. Do to a new budget. We'll see.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do my Halloween installation on virtually no budget. Oh if I had MONEY!!!!

Still it's so much fun to track things down and be creative. I shop at second hand stores and 'recycle' costumes (eg. One year's Victorian coats can be tweaked into Pilgrim costumes). I do some shopping on E-Bay but only for stuff I can't find locally (the shipping costs tend to be high). I can't afford to buy mannequins so I use xmas tree stands to hold up my lifesize props (easy to cover the stand with costuming and such). I've done this for almost ten years so I have lots of props and costumes in stock. Basics like rats, bats, and creepy crawlies work with any theme. So there's always some basic stuff that comes out every year for ambience.

I also divide the yard and garage into sections within the theme. Last year (Wicked West) the deck had a headless cowboy lying on hay bales and the signage read "The NOT O.K. Corral). At the back of the yard I had my "Miner Forty-Niner" sitting under a tree draped with burlap to look like tenting and a neat pot with an electric fire that I bought at Spirit of Halloween (worth the money for the effect). The front yard was the BootHill Cemetary with signage pointing to famous western towns.
There was also Calamity Jane's Saloon and Mercantile.

I actually find it's easier to do themes because it helps me keep focus and not be tempted to buy every cool Halloween prop/costume I see!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I decorate the house in no specific theme. Basically anything that looks cool ranging from vintage items to gore to simple decorations. As for themes, yes I do transform the house into a specific theme. We have done a vintage themed party where everyone had to create their own costume with no store bought stuff. Only already possessed items counted towards the contest. This year we are doing a haunted southern plantation theme. I have created a whole story line complete with posters of paintings from the 1800s, artifacts, traditional food of the south, and games of the era. After dinner service i will tell the ghost stories I created about the ghosts of the old plantation. I think its gonna definately entertain my friends.

·
aka Halloweenqueen
1,435 Posts
Different theme each year. I find it fun to think of something new. We use several props each year, we just modify. I have several Gemmy mummies and they have been, clowns, angels, scarecrows, etc through the years. It is difficult to keep treasured items packed if they don't fit into the theme, but I like the idea of surprising our TOTs. We do a garage walkthrough, so a different theme really helps to increase the scare each year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts