Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Haunters! Being a student, I have the next two weeks to sit at home, and plan my 2016 haunt. But I have realized that I should probably do some other stuff with my time, and I thought, what could be better than Haunt Documentaries! So I woke up this morning and have already knocked out both of the ones on NETFLIX do you guys have any more recommendations on any other Haunt Documentaries or other Haunt related Movies/Films? I am willing to take any at all recommendations you may have, even if I have to pay to watch them.
-Thanks!

·
Registered
14,263 Posts
Well no longer a documentary you can see unfortunately, but a few years back before Halloween there was the Bob Burns several-part video documentary that was assembled and run online with new weekly segments that ran probably an hour or so each. Somewhere on the forum should be a thread on it. Bob Burns if you don't know is a famous Hollywood sci-fi prop creator and the documentary took you through his past sci-fi work and from his earliest home haunts to the many years of totally cool and over the top themed home haunt creations. They put the documentary up as a gift for halloween to fans and then it was pulled with the hopes it could be sold as a documentary to a cable network or such or maybe released on DVS, etc. Unfortunately they ran into issues (assume involving releases on copyright issues as many of the themes were based off of movies like The Thing, Alien, etc.) and this fabulous compilation went no where. While the documentary isn't online you can see some of the work that was featured in his The Thing home haunt on the Bob Burns website. Here's the link:

http://bobburns.mycottage.com

Don't miss out clicking on all the items in the Photo Album Index, in particular the "Trick 'r Treat" section from his home haunts! Their online documentary included a walking tour of their set up for The Thing and it was great to see how they created the frozen sections. I remember some gorilla footage from another one, the Alien ship walk thru and the Creature From the Black Lagoon too I think. It's been a couple of years but all I could think of was "Wow, I would have loved to live in his neighborhood all those years".

If you are thinking of spending some time reading you might want to check out "It Came From Bob's Basement". Also check out the various segments on You Tube entitled "Bob Burns' Special Effects Collection", not sure how many parts there are of it. Here's part 1 (link directly to You Tube for the others). About 4:10 into this segment he talk about his home haunts and how they grew in size. Imagine having Walter Koenig as one of your haunt actors! So many great people got involved in his home haunts.

Anyway that's a haunt documentary that came immediately to mind for me! I'm sure those here that got to watch it will remember it well.

·
Registered
14,263 Posts
Just checking around now, prompted by this thread so thanks Jesse Anderson, and found they just recently re-released a Bob and Kathy Burns documentary by Benevolent Monster Productions. Check this out guys! "Beast Wishes: The Fantastic World of Bob and Kathy Burns". Amazon apparently had it for sale some time ago although they are not showing availability now.

http://www.benmonsterfilms.com/beast-wishes.html

BTW if you check out the tab "Video Clips" the third one down, "The Walking Dead's Greg Nicotero on The Thing show", you can see footage from The Thing haunt. Definitely some of the same footage used in the Bob Burns Hollywood Halloween documentary.

Check out their site for other documentaries they are producing. King Kong is currently in DVD pre-sale (April 30, 2016 release date).

I think I know what I'm ordering now for a stocking stuffer! -- on order and will let you guys know when it arrives. Came to $27.99 including shipping for me. :D
Apparently Benevolent Monster Productions had a Halloween special pricing for the Burns video for 3 days (10/29-10/31) and I can't believe no one here knew about it. Oh well, I'm just happy that it's back in production.

UPDATE: I had sent an online message to them asking about shipping method and delivery time frame and received a response this morning from Frank Dietz, one of the filmmakers. He said the DVD contains a lot of the same material that was in the Bob Burns Hollywood Halloween production and that the Beast Wishes DVD won several awards so hopes I will enjoy it. The DVD will ship out this week via Media Mail and when it does he indicated I'd be sent a tracking number. Hopefully will get a chance to watch it over the holiday.

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
There's several home haunters on YouTube who do vlogs throughout the build season. Deoblo85 and Mill Pond Fright Night are two that immediately come to mind and both are members here too. Ghoulish Cop has started a daily vlog for the 2016 build season also. If you have time, check out a few episodes of Dead with Dave on YouTube also. He does a home haunter awards show and I've discovered several haunters through his show that I might not have found otherwise.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hello Haunters! Being a student, I have the next two weeks to sit at home, and plan my 2016 haunt. But I have realized that I should probably do some other stuff with my time, and I thought, what could be better than Haunt Documentaries! So I woke up this morning and have already knocked out both of the ones on NETFLIX do you guys have any more recommendations on any other Haunt Documentaries or other Haunt related Movies/Films? I am willing to take any at all recommendations you may have, even if I have to pay to watch them.
-Thanks!
Which ones did you watch exactly? I hope I'm not missing something. I watched one a while back, but can't remember the name, I need a refresher, LOL.

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
Eventually you'll tire of haunt focused documentaries. Then you can switch it up with these delights. Why Horror? A fun documentary about all us horror fans and why we like it. And Going to Pieces, The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film covering all the movies from 1978 and 1986. Enjoyed both of them. Saw both On Demand Xfinity.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
You-Tube has more than one example of The Ravens Grin Inn filmed many years ago, but much of it has not changed over 28 years.
In one you get to see my Ex-wife who afterwards realized that she should not have been on-camera since (before I met her) she had testified and put a very nasty man away and he was about to be getting released then!
The H-G TV one was shown everywhere for years (the one she was on!) People i knew saw it in europe! The wild chicago-episode was also shown for years in Chicago area. that was much fun filming that one, some other filming here was not fun at all. It all depends upon how they treat you. like a "person" or like "Meat"?
(Or like stinking, dangerously rotten meat?)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts