Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if I am the only one. I have just about finished building my haunted walk thru in my garage. When I came home last night, I saw a light on inside, and the door partially opened. I was actually afraid to walk inside, even though I built the whole thing myself. Too many creepy things that can pop out at you, now I know how the kids feel when they go in it.

·
The Kitschiest Kitsch
1,760 Posts
Haha! Yes! I haven't even began to seriously decorate the house yet, but I have 2 life size ladies, my dress form for my etsy shop and Jack from walgreens all standing up in the living room until I find their permanent haunting places for this year. Whenever I get up in the night to go to the bathroom or get a drink I get the heat in my chest (that hot blood adrenaline rush) when I see their silhouettes!! Then I think, oh, that's just Tallulah, Victoria, Slim and Jack;)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
:eek: I get scared a lot if my husband leaves certain decoration/props/dummies around. He stuffs a few life-size dummies every year and puts masks on them, and sometimes if I go into the garage refridgerator for something, they'll scare the you-know-what out of me if I catch a glimpse of them. We don't own her, but one year we borrowed the Donna The Dead figure from a friend and we had her in our living room for a few days before putting her in her spot. EVERY SINGLE TIME I came down the stairs in the morning, I sorta jumped in fright when I saw her because it just seemed like another person was in the house! This year I bought my husband an early birthday present - a scarecrow from Grandin Road - and it's tall like a person. I told him to take it out of the living room because I knew it'd get me every morning too, if he left it there. I guess it's the life-sized things that make me skittish!

·
The Sea Witch
2,447 Posts
thats what happens with my things - if i pull it out or put it somewhere where im not used to it, it can startle me. my 2 life size witches live in my closet in my bedroom, and on occasion, if i havent been in there in a while and am not *thinking* they will startle me lolol

:eek: I get scared a lot if my husband leaves certain decoration/props/dummies around. He stuffs a few life-size dummies every year and puts masks on them, and sometimes if I go into the garage refridgerator for something, they'll scare the you-know-what out of me if I catch a glimpse of them. We don't own her, but one year we borrowed the Donna The Dead figure from a friend and we had her in our living room for a few days before putting her in her spot. EVERY SINGLE TIME I came down the stairs in the morning, I sorta jumped in fright when I saw her because it just seemed like another person was in the house! This year I bought my husband an early birthday present - a scarecrow from Grandin Road - and it's tall like a person. I told him to take it out of the living room because I knew it'd get me every morning too, if he left it there. I guess it's the life-sized things that make me skittish!

·
Registered
194 Posts
LOL, too funny! Yes, I've been scared of my own props... it funny to read other's stories. Last year, I would bring my life size zombie and witch prop into the livingroom each night and be startled each and every time I walk by! I can't wait to get the stuff out of storage!

·
The Haunting Girl
864 Posts
Yup. I leave stuff out all the time all over the place and I forget it's there and spook myself. My favorite is my watcher guy that I set up every year (except last year). I've never been spooked by him, but my roommates/neighbors have been.
2010 - Set up in my neighbor's sunroom. They forgot I set him up and freaked out that someone was in their apartment.

2011 - Set up in my living room. My roommates keep thinking someone was sitting there.

·
Protector of the winged
1,491 Posts
HAHAHA.. I have a feeling you're going to see some hilarious stories on here. As for me.. yes, I've been startled by a couple of decorations I had purchased last year. I bought two full size skellies from Walgreen's and had set them up at my dining room table (which I had forgotten about). I got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. When I headed back down the hallway, I was able to see a glimpse of my dining room table which had two people sitting at it in the dark! It scared the $#^@ right outta me!!! It took me a long time to get back to sleep because of a huge surge of adrenaline...lol :eek:

·
Ghouls Rule
2,584 Posts
Usually I get a bit jumpy when working with my spider scene because I have some very large and scary real ones that like to pop out from time to time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My husband bought a six-foot tall cloaked reaper figure a couple of years ago. He promptly set it up in our living room. Going downstairs with the lights turned off? Yeah, I was definitely startled the first couple of times.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Not currently, but I used to have a alien that would make me a little nervous. It was just a whole-head mask and hands that I stuck on a variety of dummies, nothing but newspaper and old clothes. But sometimes I'd be on the front porch and think, "It's staring at me. What if it's . . . thinking."

I don't think Alien ever forgave me for the blond wig and dress. :)

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
You want a laugh? Here you go.

When we bought this house in May, there were still a few random things left in the basement. One is a gargantuan cat tree. We don't have a cat, but have considered getting one, so we kept it. Well, the basement leaks in the corner that it originally sat in, so we moved it.

A couple of weeks ago, I moved all of my Halloween stash out of the (unattached) garage to the basement, so that I could work on stuff without my 2 yr old running after me outside, and then refusing to come back in. It's well within sight of the foot of the stairs.

Just about every danged time I go to the basement, what scares me? Not the Halloween stuff. The stupid cat tree, lurking in the dark corner, because it's nearly 6 ft tall and tan...vaguely in-human-like in the darkness.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Yup. Figure at the top of the stairs. No matter how long it's been standing there, it'll still give me a start.
Not quite the same ,but my wife refuses to go in our garage while I have my casket out. She just won't, case closed.

By the way, everyone who says that they forget where they set up the figures...how do you really know that you actually set it up there? Isn't it possible that he...she...it...might have moved there...some other way? Hmmmm? :eek:

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
I had a prop that was motion sensored and had been left and forgotten in a shopping bag. Apparently left in demo mode from the store. Yeah, went to move the bag and got quite a shock when it started moving and making sounds. Took me a second to realize what happened.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The only prop of ours that has scared or startled me is our jumping spider. Last year was the first time we set it up. But it refused to go off on anyone but me. For some reason my voice and my fat feet were just prime signals for it to activate. Now I knew it was there, I knew what it would do, but it still was able to startle me. I would be guiding people down the path into the graveyard. Six people would go ahead of me and nothing but as soon as I would step near it BAM it would jump. That got me a few times. But then when people were curious about it, I would try to trigger it so they would know what it does. So I walked near it... nothing. I yelled at it... nothing. I jumped up and down and yelled at it... nothing. In defeat I turned around to tell them well I guess it just doesn't want to work anymore. BAM the jumping spider attacks. And since I was practically dancing in front of it, I was very close to it. So the spider leaped and literally smacked the back of my legs. And up I went leaping into the sky with a startled yelp.

Now, while my props don't usually startle me, they do however startle my neighbor across the street. She helps with all of the Halloween stuff and knows what all I am up to. But everyday I am usually outside building something in the front yard, or moving the early season skellies around to new interesting locations. Our neighbor usually gets home just as it is starting to get dark and leaves in the morning before it is fully light out. Every time I move stuff, she will be backing up to leave and she will catch a glimpse of some new critter in her rear view mirror and it freaks her out. Or she will get home from work, get out of the car, and see a figure just standing somewhere there wasn't a figure before. It usually creeps her out and she runs inside and starts messaging me on facebook about what new thing creeped her out. I love it!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yeaaaaaaaah about that.....I bought the electrocuted prisoner from Spirit Halloween and I didn't want him in the garage so I put him in the basement on a stool. Needless to say, everytime I come down the stairs he startles me. Then, like a big dummy, I had him behind me one time when I was working on a project. COMPLETELY FORGOT he was there, turned around and screamed like a 4 year old girl seeing an R rated Horror Film for the first time. My wife said she didn't realize my vocal octaves could get that high. :p

1 - 20 of 36 Posts