Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious if anyone else does this.

In my neighborhood, I know there are two kids who have nut allergies, thanks to them going to school with my nephew a few years ago. So I make sure I get a bag of something that doesn't have the "prepared on a machine that has been in contact with nuts" warning on the package (traditionally Twizzlers). That way, I know those two kids will have at least one bit of candy they can eat.

This year, I've been thinking about the other food allergies as well as diabetes and thinking maybe I should start shopping for those as well. I'm even considering putting up a sign board for parents to answer an allergy/medical survey with anonymous tickmarks so I can see exactly how pervasive these health problems are among my ToTs.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I've only considered the nut allergy and buy a wide variety of candy from candy bars to skittles. Haven't thought about the other stuff but good idea. I'd be curious to know how many kids have other issues.

·
Registered
659 Posts
No, I don't take it into consideration when buying candy. I leave that up to the parents.
Same. I can't figure out which ToT can eat which type of candy so that's up to the parents. I do have Nestle Crunch and Kit Kats which don't have nuts in them but I also have to be realistic and get candy I will eat in Nov if I have left overs.

·
Registered
203 Posts
No, I leave that up to the parents as well.

Around here, there are the parents that jump on whatever food bandwagon is popular at the time. When my eldest son was young it was peanut allergies, which surprise surprise none of his friends actually had, just hypocondric parents. As for my youngest son, the novelty had worn off, so no real issues with the hypocondric crowd, just crap about ADD and how all their kids needed ritalin. The biggest thing now is the gluten free bandwagon, very few mentions are made about food allergies. So I will let the parents sort out whatever. Oh and before anyone flames me on this, I have very severe, life threatening food allergies, so I know all about real allergies! I know those with real allergies know what to do for their kids.

Kids with type I diabetes will be watched like a hawk by their parents. Not much any of use can do for those kids. I am sure they just enjoy dressing up, running around the neighbourhood.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Growing up, Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, Snickers (off the top of my head common items) were on my "can't eat" list from Halloween given out candies.

All of those have eggs and the tiniest amount of any would send me into anaphylactic shock. I don't remember many people giving a "choice" of candy at the time (let the kid choose rather than drop something in the sack / bucket or only have one type). It's nice if people do as those were simply throwaway items for me at the end of the night and HIGHLY common. Eggs aren't exactly an uncommon allergy item either but I don't see the mention like I do of nuts.

P.S. Last I heard, food allergies as severe as that one affect just 1% of the food allergy sufferers. Of those that have that severe a reaction, only 1% of those will outgrow it. I'm happy to say I beat the odds the 2nd time. To give a further idea how bad it was, I helped mom as a kid roll some dough and we didn't think about the fact it had eggs in it. I wiped across my face / forehead, and instantly had welts and red lines like someone had taken 5 magic markers across my face. I could eat the tiniest bit of one cookie that might have a single egg in it for 4 dozen and tell you instantly it had egg (tongue immediately itched), and knew that I would be throwing up in less than 5 minutes with my throat then sealing shut and almost unable to breath. Some of my mom's close friends for I think my fifth birthday got me a cake from a bakery at the grocery store, and made sure it had no eggs in it. I took one bite and knew instantly it did. The culprit on the ingredient list...."Marshmallow Creme".

While it is the parents responsibility, again, it's nice for the kid to have a choice so your house isn't a "wasted" house for the night.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,401 Posts
No, I don't feel that's my job.

I do give out things other than candy but I've done that for years & it had nothing to do with the latest & greatest allergy scares (real or imagined). I just thought parents might appreciate a small toy or bracelet instead of yet another piece of candy the kid would want to eat, they'd want to eat or have to get rid of.

·
Protector of the winged
1,491 Posts
I don't shop for allergies but, I do buy a big bag of those goldfish singles for the really little TOT's that are usually being carried around by their parents. I still go ahead and throw a treat bag in for the parents though ;)

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,065 Posts
We only purchase peanut/nut free candy because my daughter has anaphylactic reaction to peanuts. She is okay with tree nuts, but I do make a point to avoid both types when I buy candy. I most certainly agree it is the parents job to check candy, I go through both of the kids bags and get rid of anything with peanuts. It goes back in a separate bowl and I hand it out at the door!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Do all of the kids obsess about getting the candy? I didn't. It was just the fun of going to the houses and dressing up!!! Maybe that's all these kids need too. If they really want that much candy then the parents can sub their bag when they get home for what they can eat.

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Good on you, Blarghity.

Similarly, it come to my attention years ago there were epileptics in the neighborhood, and I've made a point ever since to make SURE my yard is perfectly safe for them. Some would say extreme measures. When I first started looking into this, folks called me nuts. Both here, and on epilepsy boards. The general 'just do what you want and let parents do the parenting' attitude pervaded. Got involved with a school and run things by them every year, and hold a special event for their kids that otherwise would not be trick or treating for fear of something triggering siezures. My yard in general is run through by experts and deemed safe or I remove whatever is offending. The pumpkins all use non-flicker lights, for instance.

Do I expect everyone to ditch their strobes? Heck no. But, for me, in my situation, it's become something important. Sure, that original girl who brought this to my attention died during a siezure a few years back, but I still remember her tears that second year seeing I'd kept my promise to fix it for her, and somewhere I know she's smiling that kids can come get scared at my place without the need of true fear.

When it stops being the random faceless ToT with an allergy, and the neighbor kid you know, things are a bit different.

We do try to keep options on the table for a range of allergies or tastes at the first of the night when trick or treating. But, there's no guarantee I'll have those options for EVERYONE. Just was asked about gluten free by a neighbor the other day. Hell, I've already bought treats, and that's not one that was even on my radar. No IDEA if anything's gluten free.

·
Registered
254 Posts
We buy all sorts, so typically have something for everyone. The little tykes I will sometimes offer crackers (unless the parents want the candy bars). We also get granola bars for the teens that aren't dressed up. Everyone will get something.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My youngest (in kindergarten this year) has anaphylactic reactions to tree nuts and peanuts. She knows to let parents check her stuff before she eats it and we trade out nut things for things she can eat. Last year, we did treat bags with the usual fun size bars, but we also included taffy or Nerds so any kid would get something they could probably eat - we figured they might trade Snickers or Reeses for other things. This year we're just doing full-size bars and I'm planning to get a few non-nut and non-chocolate options if anyone makes a preference known. That said, we don't obsess over checking everyone's allergy status and trying to meet their needs. I figure part of the fun is sorting and trading anyway and a kid could probably get a good trade from their parents for a full size bar.

UnOrthodOx mentions his accommodations for epileptics; I know there's a girl in wheelchair at the local school, and though she hasn't come TOTing at our house, I have tried to take care not to create obstructions that would make it difficult for her to see everything if she or anyone else who might have accessibility issues did come calling. Mind you, we have a sloping driveway and no sidewalks, but a wheelchair could make it in so I try not to make it worse.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do all of the kids obsess about getting the candy? I didn't. It was just the fun of going to the houses and dressing up!!! Maybe that's all these kids need too. If they really want that much candy then the parents can sub their bag when they get home for what they can eat.
I'm sure you were as obsessed with the sugar overdose as every other child, but the light of age is distorting the memory. Every kid obsesses over the candy.

But just imagine being a kid with a medical condition and after all those hours of running around and collecting candy, discovering there isn't a single thing in your bag you can eat. Hell, I know what that was like without any food allergies, having grown up ToTing in the golden age of food tampering scares and having everything confiscated as "unsafe." It can quickly go from "fun" to "work with no reward."

BTW, years later I learned that my mother declared so much candy "unsafe" so her fat *** could hoard it all for herself, teaching me all about the jerks of the world who operate on "No work with all reward."

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I'm sure you were as obsessed with the sugar overdose as every other child, but the light of age is distorting the memory. Every kid obsesses over the candy.
I absolutely agree with this. I know it was always about the end "score" for the night.

Heck, how many threads have we had on here about size of mini candy bars, or isn't it cool to hand out / get a full sized bar? Sounds to me like it's pretty evident when it comes to ToT'ing.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,401 Posts
So all these years, inadvertently, I've been doing allergic kids a favour!

I mean, honestly I try to get a different variety of candy because that's what I like & never really thought of another angle. I do chocolate too but since I like Twizzlers I'll stick them in there, or Pixie Stix, gummy things, just whatever I happen to like too that grabs me. I figure at the end of the night half of it will get traded, tossed or taken to the parents workplace anyway. That's why I like to stick things like a rubber duck or Pez in there too.

If I knew of anyone that had a special need (like an epileptic or wheelchair) I'd probably accommodate them. We have few enough ToTers I wouldn't mind. But in all the years I've been doing this no one has ever mentioned anything.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Never even considered allergies. We always have a variety of chocolate and gummy candy to give away.

It's typically a safety precaution for parents to inspect candy at the end of the night anyway, so I guess if you had a kid that was allergic you would just be looking out for the allergy-induced candy as well.

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
since i only get about 30-40 tot's, i buy a big bag of fun size mix bars and hand those out. whatever is left at the end of the night me and hubby are in charge of devouring and im not a big sugary sweets type person.. i love chocolate, but skittles and twizzlers are only good in moderation and by moderation i mean maybe once a year. and ive had both this year... so im all skittled out. the kids parents can have the peanut allergy type candies and let the kids have all the other crap.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts