Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,767 Posts
Loved studying physics at University. Actually considered doing a minor in physics.
If you meant to spell Psychics and were autocorrected....nope.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,909 Posts
Nope, not a believer and I have been reading tarot cards since I was a teen and have dabbled in palm reading.

I used to study how fortune tellers worked and it is mostly being extremely observant of details like types of jewelry worn, clothes/shoes and indications of wear, and other outward details. In addition, you learn to read "tells" like slight movements or pupil dilation when saying something that the customer wants to hear.

And then there is also being aware that most folks that seek out psychics for a very small amount of reasons - love, money, or conflicts with family/friends.

And there is also making sure to wire the waiting area for sound and keep a person waiting for a little to see if they speak of anything like names or information so the psychic can get "messages from beyond" regarding grandmother Anna or "the spirits say you have a son named James that is on your mind" and wow the client with their abilities right off the bat.

With things like tarot cards, you have a guide for what each card can mean, but you have a huge amount of leeway in how you interpret and apply the cards to a person's reading. Same with palm reading. Specific bumps and lines mean specific things, but you need to be able to read a person and weigh what the specifics mean and emphasize or downplay accordingly. But the true artistry is how the readings are dressed up - the theatrics of the whole thing. THAT is where the truly gifted (and sometimes unscrupulous) "psychics" shine.

ETA: I went with a friend to her psychic many years ago. I deliberately took off all my jewelry, wore plain clothes, made a real effort to provide absolutely no prompts - verbal or non-verbal - regarding my life. The psychic could not read me at all and said nothing whatsoever that applied to me. We ended up discussing tarot cards and I did a reading for her, and then spent a little while discussing restoring antiques and how to refinish hardwood floors. :D

I read tarot cards for a friend's high school reunion, and even stating up front that I am not a psychic, will be reading the cards strictly for fun and a quick "I'll be reading your reactions more than anything" to sort of show them how it's done... and I still ended up freaking out folks who were just sure I had the gift.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My girlfriend is a Santeria (Cuban witchcraft). She tends to believe in all of these things but, while I try to keep and open mind, I find it all a bit silly. I will say she had shown me some very puzzling things -- like knowing that my Grandfather was in Baghdad during the WWII. Intellectually I could say she put that together beings I more than likely mentioned he was a merchant marine but it was still odd. I have never encountered anything that was really specific out of a psychic though (for the small number I have met)

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,969 Posts
Not at all. Nothing but con artists, or people deluding themselves. There has been a million dollar prize out for years to anyone who can prove through scientific testing that they have any kind of psychic ability. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Million_Dollar_Paranormal_Challenge None have even come close to claiming it and all the well known psychics avoid it like the plague because they don't want to be proven frauds and ruin their scam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts