Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 98% of what I put out moves or lights up so I'm careful about the forecasts of rain and the like before putting my display up but I am wondering if I'm being overly cautious. Has anyone seen a negative impact with props that light up and move and rainfall? Assuming of course they are off during the storm :p

·
Registered
60 Posts
no....i work at a haunted hayride....and nothing really affects it if its out there..obviously unplug everything...but it wont affect it...

even if its raining....we still are outside at the hayride waiting for tractors....its sucks

·
The Evil Spectre
1,220 Posts
I just had a nice storm this morning...left all my lights plugged in and on. I tape up each plug real good to keep water from getting into the plug, or inadvertantly tripping over them and pulling them out. I don't have a problem with any of my lights getting wet. My flood lights are exposed, but don't have a problem with them either.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,856 Posts
I don't put out any electronic stuff until the day of.

We can get freak heavy rains around here (like someone just turned on a faucet on full blast) and about 2 Halloweens ago, we got a heavy downpour right as we were finishing up the setup. My Dh and I scurried around pulling the electric stuff back out and into the garage, but one animated tombstone got soaked. It made a weird gurgling screech every time it activated for about half the night, (it was pretty funny) then apparently dried out and is fine now.:rolleyes:

I do leave our lights out no matter what. All of the floodlights are waterproof, and I just make sure that the cord connections are solid and protected.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Not really because mine is in a shed.
Although I have to wait till mid September to start building my haunted maze.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Living here in Western New York we could have 70 degree days and complete sun or the temps could be in the 40's and rain, for that matter we have even had snow falling on Halloween day. I have accomodated the every changing weather patterns by trying to build most of my props of out stuff that will stand up to the elements. In saying that, I am okay with putting out alot of props, but I still save some things that may be affected by the weather till the day of Halloween.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just try to make my items easily movable so I can shelter them, if need be.

My question sort of goes hand in hand with this thread, so I'll ask it here...

How seriously do you all take the "for indoor use only" tags on some items? I admit, I sorta "pish" when I see that and use it outside anyway...but I'm wondering if I'm insane.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Weather doesn't effect my setup much if at all simply because I build/plan everything for the worst. I assume it could rain and build everything to withstand it. :)

I'm in the midst of building what I can only term "light boxes" for my lighting. Basically just a wooden birdhouse of sorts that sits over the lights to keep the rain off but allows the light to continue doing it's thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts