Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I bought 100 credits for jack-o-lantern stencils and only used about 8 of them...I was planning on using the other 92 for the coming years. Little did I know, that Stoneykins has an expiration date on their store credits.

If you are going to purchase Stoneykins, be sure to be aware that they expire.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have purchased many Stoneykins patterns (using credits) and they are very clear on their web site that they will expire on specific dates. The designs they have are very good and and they have a huge selection. The "price" they charge is about 20 cents per design that you instantly download. As long as you are aware of the time limit, purchase credits accordingly. I buy 25 at a time for $5 - that gets me 25 designs. If I don't use them all, then it's not a big loss... I am not affiliated with them in any way, just a happy customer that felt like I should stand up...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have since begun to regret this post....I was angry and after an email exchange with Stoney himself, I have come to see that this was clearly my oversight.

That being said, I have no idea how to pull down this post :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I already Worked things out with fortinbras79.
And thank you Atom058 For sticking up for me... and the Website.

I want to make sure you guys get some facts about Stoneykins and why I do what I do....

First Off Stoneykins is not this Large Company Like Pumpkin Masters that makes millions a year.

It's run by ONE Guy Me ! I Create Every Single Pattern, I Admin my Forum, I do all the Site Design, And I take Custom orders for Patterns and Actual Custom Pumpkin Carvings.
(I'm actually in the middle of a carving Now, I got a Google Alert on this Post and Felt I needed to reply to clear the air)

Another thing I have to deal with is if a Customer complaint comes in. Now I don't want to add fire to a flame that already went out.
But fortinbras79 Very first email to me Was extremely Heated, How My site ripped him off, and how he was going to Spread Bad things on all the Halloween boards about my site, and for folks to Boycott the site... He Went APE ****... If he would have just sent me an email asking what happened to his his credits, I would have explained it, But he came at me with a sword and a bunch of threats - that he made good on as this thread shows.

The Reason the credits expire, is my site is a seasonal site, And it comes with a Hefty Bill, I pay about $2,000 a year for server cost alone.
In fact Every Sept/Oct I have the site moved to a dedicated Server, Because of all the traffic it gets this time of year, That comes with a $400 Monthly bill.
It's Needed, the Site would go dead with-out it...

So Back to why the credits expire, If someone buys a $5 Dollar credit Package which is 25 pumpkin patterns or stencils,
I Can't have them milk that for the next 10 years. They Can download all 25 at one time, They Basically Have a Year to download what they paid for.

Most of the Patterns I have on my site take anywhere from an Hour to 3 hours to create. So those 25 Patterns is a good amount of hours.
I also think my prices are reasonable.... I even do this with Funkins I sell on the Site, My Site offer's them the cheapest on the internet...

Lastly My Site is not Extra Money, it's the Money, I pay my household bills, My Kids School Tuition, and puts food on our table.
I Hope and work Very hard that one day, it will bring in a decent income, Now, It just helps us live and pay our bllls.

So if you contact me Nicely, We will Work out whatever your problem is with the Site. I consider myself a nice and Hard working guy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is on the Actual Page that someone purchases the pattern credits on.
For this year, if someone Purchased their Credits on July, 1st 2014 they Would Last a FULL YEAR !

If they Wait and Order them Say Halloween Week, they Still Get Like 8 Months to Get all the Patterns they paid for.

I even give reminders on my Forum and FB Page, that they have a few weeks Left before they Expire.

It's Use Em or Lose Em.

Expire.jpg

fortinbras79. also pointed out this this is Illegal to have them expire ?

Well I don't know anything about that, And really Don't care, If they don't expire, and folks don't support my site yearly, It closes.
NO One is forcing you to purchase from the site, But if you do, you abide by it's terms.

·
Registered
223 Posts
fortinbras79. also pointed out this this is Illegal to have them expire ?

Well I don't know anything about that, And really Don't care,
You had me on your side until this...
If you are running a business, especially one that puts food on the table for your family. You damn well better make sure what you are doing is legal. That kind of attitude it no way to run a business. Think about that for a minute.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
What I'm saying is I don't think It's Illegal - I will look into though,
I'm working 16 hour days now until Halloween (And don't have time for this right now)

- So Your no longer on my side because I worded something the way I did?
It's Okay to Call for a BoyCott (and Try to do harm to a small business. ) Over a misunderstanding ?
This guy Posted on here and Many Facebook Pages, he Talked to EVERYONE EXCEPT the Company he's trying to KILL!

This was the First Email I got From him (Below) - Before he started Spamming the Internet. With the Hate About my Business.
By the time I replied to his email - which was within Minutes - the damage was done - this crap was all over the Net.
We worked things out... But I have no Idea How many Other Sites and Forums Facebook pages this is on.

I am more than a little perturbed by the fact that last year I bought 100 credits only to have them disappear on me. This, sir or madam, is a terrible way to create repeat business and frankly is against the law. You may rest assured that I will be spreading the story of your "practices" to the various and numerous halloween forums of which I am a part.

Despicable and frankly, theft.

Should I wish to make more of an issue of this, I could always refer you to the Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure (CARD) Act which protects consumers from people like you. But I think I will be happy bad mouthing you and your services all over the internet. It sounds more fun frankly. And I've got nothing but time in which to do it.

You should be ashamed...and if you're not, you will at least be sorry.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I worded that wrong. I'm not on anyone's "side"

I'm just saying that if you are running a legitimate business. Make sure your business practices are legal. I don't know if it's legal or not either. But you saying that you don't know, nor care, is a poor attitude as a businessman. You wouldn't want businesses that you purchase from to have the same attitude towards it's customers/you, correct?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Correct ! - See I worded mine wrong also - LOL
I will look into the legal end, when things calm Down.

Every other paid pattern site runs this way, you pay for the season. If this is an Issue, folks will have to pay Per Pattern.
I only went with the credit thing because I can't have someone pay 5 bucks and get all 9,000 patterns.

I would hate to have to charge Per Pattern - People get a good deal AS- IS and it works for 98% of them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Were Good !
I didn't want to have to deal with any of this ! :D

Don't Know if I'm looking more forward to Halloween or OCT 12th (The Walking Dead)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Stoney - Hopefully the phrase "there is no such thing as bad advertising" holds true in this case. If nothing else, you probably got exposure to a bunch of people that never knew you existed and I think most people are smart enough to make up their own minds. Like I said earlier, I am very happy with the quality of your product and the terms by which you provide them. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks Atom ! Hope your right:D

I don't know how long you have been buying /craving my patterns, But for the most part carvers come back each and every year.
They treat it as a membership site, For I'm always adding tons of new stuff each year.

Heck this year alone, I have 671 (to date) Brand new Patterns. Still making them up until Halloween, But I'm swamped right now on custom work.
Many of my customers have been with the site since day 1. Over 8 years. and each year - there's so many new patterns for them to pick from...

Thanks Again for your Post, and your patronage,
I didn't even know it was on here, until Google sent me an email - I have StoneyKins as a Google Alert.

Lets Move on - and Enjoy the Next 34 Days !! :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stoney, if my understanding of the law is correct, the only error would be in referring to the purchased elements as "credits". It's a silly detail, but that is what is the bind legally.

Memberships can expire. And you can sell varying level of memberships that permit more or less limited access to your content. But store credits, gift certificates, anything that has a nominal value per item legally cannot expire.

It might be worth a short phone call with an attorney...Maybe you are friends with one who will do it in trade :)

Sorry, again, to have started this.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon here. I have used stoney's site for years. Any problem I have had he has dealt with quickly and efficiently. I love the variety of patterns on his site and the carving help and tutorials on his forum are fantastic. I have never met him and am not affiliated with him in any way except by being a loyal customer.

Thank you stoney for all your hard work. Without you, my avatar would not exist!!!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've was a happy customer of Stoney's site for years too - along with a couple of other sites that Stoney himself probably hung out on. To be honest, I haven't been able to use his patterns since my eyesight started going south when I became diabetic. I can't see the detail of the patterns well enough anymore. And, his patterns are that good. They are great if you want to have some really cool pumpkins in your yard display. I sure miss carving :(

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,775 Posts
FWIW Zombie Pumpkins, another carving site, has a "membership" fee. You pay X amount of $ & you get X amount of patterns for that fee & it lasts for 9 months from when you join.

Quick answers to questions you might have:
-Memberships last for 9 months from the date of payment, and then automatically expire.
-Memberships are a one-time (non-recurring) payment, you will NOT be rebilled later.
-You decide which designs to print. You can print some now, some later.
-You can print out multiple copies of the same design, and it will only count as 1 pattern.
Also, despite the reason this post was made, thanks for the heads up about Stoneykins site. I'd forgotten about it so it's now bookmarked again so thanks!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts