Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everybody, I just bought this DMX dimmer/ relay pack and I'm having trouble controlling it with VSA. I have downloaded a general lighting controller and it works fine. But VSA doesn't seem to want to talk to it. Has anyone else used this model with VSA? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
vsa is set up 0 thru 254
dmx is 1 thru 255

so if your dmx device is 155 in vsa will be 154
give that a try im sure thats it

how do you have this hooked up?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tried the address difference and that didn't work. But I'm using the dmx open interface to usb. It works with any other lighting dmx software, just not VSA. I'm wondering if this just a problem with VSA and the specific unit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, done all that. Tried every address imaginable and every setting possible but with no response from the dimmer/relay pack.

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
have you tried a terminator resistor?

whats your computer spec?

what percentage of processor load does your computer run at when its running your routine?

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
more thoughts

have you had any DMX hardware controlled from VSA before or is this your first attempt

What port are you selecting in settings, you should be using Entec-1

Is this the only DMX device in the chain?

Did you connect the open unit to your computer before starting VSA?

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
If the Enttec appears in VSA as Entec-1 then there is a good chance they are there and working, however, it cant help to update tehm

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
have you tried a terminator resistor? No not yet, but the relay/dimmer works with another 3rd party software.
whats your computer spec? p4 (3.00) with 1 g of ram

what percentage of processor load does your computer run at when its running your routine? Not sure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

more thoughts

have you had any DMX hardware controlled from VSA before or is this your first attempt? Yes, I've used a dmx led spot light

What port are you selecting in settings, you should be using Entec-1? Accually mine is Entec-0

Is this the only DMX device in the chain? Yes

Did you connect the open unit to your computer before starting VSA? Yes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what about the ftdi drivers for enttec

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/...0Certified.zip

he should already have this right I have updated to this vesion, still with no response.

I still wonder if this unit is having issues with VSA itself. I'm up against a wall. This was a unit that a member on this forum recommended on ebay and at the price I couldn't turn it down, but if it's not going to work I prob wont get any more (that was the plan though). Thanks for all the help.....
The end is not in site........But if not a challenge then whats the sence in living....

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
There is something strange here, because everything appears to check out, and its not actually possible for VSA alone to have a problem with a particular unit, VSA just generates 'numbers' and send them down the DMX stream, and we know from experience that it is very good at this.

it is possible for some units top have a problem with the Open USB

it is possible for VSA to not be sending a DMX stream to the Enttec unit

it is possible for the DMX addressing to be wrong

it is possible for the device to need a terminator

it is possible for there to be a cable fault

it is possible for the computer to be overloaded and sending an irregular DMX stream.

From the information you have given each one of these possibilities appears to test OK either individually or by implication..... I'm wondering if you actually have a combination of faults that are interacting to give a bad DMX signal, Id suggest that you check everything again, check you are using DMX cables instead of audio cables, check your computers workload and try to eliminate as many possibilities as you can.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it is possible for some units top have a problem with the Open USB = I have tried it with another lighting software and it works great.

it is possible for VSA to not be sending a DMX stream to the Enttec unit = the unit's dmx signal light does illuminate as if getting a signal.

it is possible for the DMX addressing to be wrong = I've tried every address variation I can think of.

it is possible for the device to need a terminator = this I have not tried but as mentioned before it does work with a third party software.

Has anyone had success with this unit using VSA?

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
They are the possibilities, and I'm sure that your problem is with one of these, VSA itself cannot be the problem, I can assure you of that.

You still have not verified the processor load and you still have not tried a terminator resistor.

I suspect the main fault is with the way the open USB module works, as its a known issue that it has trouble with some hardware... truth is the Open USB is a piece of crud, and if VSA is loading your PC just that little too much then the Open USB will not work well enough.

I can also assure you that there is nobody on this forum that knows more about using VSA to control DMX than me, so if you are not happy with what I'm telling you then your going to have to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do trust that you are the most qualified person on here dealing with DMX. My only issue is that the unit does work on the same pc with another DMX software suite. And I'm just trying to look in every corner before I spend the $150 to get the pro module. And why would the other software work and not VSA?

·
Registered
51 Posts
ok go to tools and settings and the device settings tab it says
track name type port

could you tell me what it says under type and port

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
I do trust that you are the most qualified person on here dealing with DMX. My only issue is that the unit does work on the same pc with another DMX software suite. And I'm just trying to look in every corner before I spend the $150 to get the pro module. And why would the other software work and not VSA?
This is why understanding the processor load is so important, if the other software has a low processor load then its likely that the Open unit is working OK, however, VSA can be a little processor intensive, so if its using just that little too much processor power then there wont be enough to drive the open unit.

The Pro unit has its own processor which regulates the DMX signal regardless of what the computer is doing.

VSA just generates numbers, and it generates them very reliably, whatever the issue is with your set up I'm very sure that the problem is not simply VSA

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for not responding sooner guys, they had me working all weekend.
I still havn't had time to check those couple of things but I will try to get to it tonight. I do appreciate all your advice.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts