Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to set up a motion detector or a pressure pad to trigger a DMX prop? I built a DMX coffin (Thanks Tera!) and would like it to start based on a trigger versus just having a show run randomly.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I think lots of us are struggling with that issue. I bought the Rapu unit from the VSA people which allows you to download your routines to the Rapu board instead of requiring your computer but even still there is no easy way to automatically trigger it. I ended up creating my own controller board that waits for a trigger and then sends commands to the Rapu unit via rs-232. Believe me - it ain't easy.

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Here's what I did to trigger mine. I have a wireless mouse hooked up to the computer and I click that when I want the routine to start. The mouse will be hanging around my neck. Hopefully this is going to work good. I'll be putting the haunt through a dry run tonight and/or tomorrow.

Next year I will be buying eXorcist (brace yourself: $300) so I can trigger this and a few more routines. It can trigger up to 8 different routines. Plus it comes with a remote. skullTronix

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
If you follow Terra's thread down to the bottom you will find my version which is triggered by DMXorcist using a pair of buttons.

Of course these buttons can be replaced with just about any trigger device.

Please Note that Exorcist and DMXorcist are actually different products, Exorcist can only play one routine per device at a time and an entire DMX network = 1 device).

DMXorcist can address many routines to a DMX network at a time.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Terra, are you going to remove the ball from the mouse (or tape over the laser part) so that the "arrow" doesnt move when the mouse swings around your neck?

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
The hardware for the two products is identical, but this hardware is predominantly the box that handles the inputs.

Exorcist software handles output of DMX routines by triggering VSA which can include DMX commands as well as many other types of command, Exorcists also needs VSA console to work

DMXorcist handles the DMX output itself, it doesn't need to trigger VSA, as it includes a player, it doesn't need VSA console, and it only needs VSA to create the routine in the first place.

DMXorcist will also support a wider range of DMX output devices.

To casual observation Exorcist and DMXorcist are identical, but DMXorcist does have a few more features, and it does have the ability to play multiple routines to a DMX chain.... it also has the minor drawback that it can only address DMX.... which isn't really a huge drawback when compared to the plus side

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Terra, are you going to remove the ball from the mouse (or tape over the laser part) so that the "arrow" doesn't move when the mouse swings around your neck?
When I did an initial test, it seemed to not make a difference. When VSA is full screen it seemed to take the click as a 'start routine' command. Now, I'm not absolutely confident of that so I will be testing that out during dry run. If it's a prob, I will tape over the sensor. I'll report in how it goes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I just got my Exorcist a few days ago and I have to attest to the awesomeness. Running my yard haunt would be vastly more difficult without it. Plus it has a ton more features above and beyond simply running VSA routines. I'm going to be playing some songs between other happenings, running video, timers, inputs.

It may be expensive, but for controlling a haunt with any sort of electronic props, It's easily worth the price. Plus Phoenix and the guys are great at being helpful with any questions.

The hardware for the two products is identical, but this hardware is predominantly the box that handles the inputs.

Exorcist software handles output of DMX routines by triggering VSA which can include DMX commands as well as many other types of command, Exorcists also needs VSA console to work

DMXorcist handles the DMX output itself, it doesn't need to trigger VSA, as it includes a player, it doesn't need VSA console, and it only needs VSA to create the routine in the first place.

To casual observation Exorcist and DMXorcist are identical, but DMXorcist does have a few more features, and it does have the ability to play multiple routines to a DMX chain.... it also has the minor drawback that it can only address DMX.... which isn't really a huge drawback when compared to the plus side

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's what I did to trigger mine. I have a wireless mouse hooked up to the computer and I click that when I want the routine to start. The mouse will be hanging around my neck. Hopefully this is going to work good. I'll be putting the haunt through a dry run tonight and/or tomorrow.

Next year I will be buying eXorcist (brace yourself: $300) so I can trigger this and a few more routines. It can trigger up to 8 different routines. Plus it comes with a remote. skullTronix
wow that three axis skull at skulltronix is way cool. I have always wanted somthing like that but I know I cant build my own. I will have to start saving....

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Well, I'm back to report how the wireless mouse worked. I'd say overall 'good enough' but not enough to keep using it. I will go to the eXorcist box next year.

I did end up taping over the optical sensor and the pointer always stayed in place. Also, VSA ignored the right button and center button clicks so that was nice when I would accidentally hit those. The drag, though, was the limited range I had. I had about three feet from the computer. That was it. Since I was also the 'dot lady' in the dot room, that was a bit frustrating when I would click my mouse to set off the coffin and I was out of range. Grrr....

·
Registered
14 Posts

I received my Exorcist two days before Halloween, even though it was missing the ir remote because of supplier issues. I was just glad I received it, so I did not have to trigger my routines manually. I was not planning on using the remote anyway.

I am beta testing DMeXorcist and had it up and running two routines in time for the big day. One of them was a DMX Coffin thanks to Terra’s great tutorial. The point and click interface made it so easy to use. It has so many features, and would run your whole haunt. It will not only trigger your VSA routines but can trigger audio, video, and activate third party programs or VBS files as well. It also has the ability to play multiple VSA routines to a single DMX chain at the same time.

It is a great product and next year I will have many routines running on it, activated by matt switches or beam sensors.

Thank You SkullTronix for such a great product.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts