Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright just finished a pretty simple pneumatic prop. He's called Boogedy and he is DMX controlled:

If you all remember, I fell in love with a new skeleton made by Fright Theatre at Transworld. He is a latex over foam full size skeleton that has the most amazing kinetic energy. With a nudge, the energy reverberates and he has the best 'built-in' zombie moves. This is achieved by having a steel rod through his body. So, I found a way to have a single pneumatic nudge him.....using a Lazy Susan and a bungee cord. heh.

With all the recent questions about how to use DMX, I took the opportunity to make a video explaining how I use DMX, VSA, pneumatics and sound and DMX lights. Plus, you can see Boogedy's simple action:

I got a raw Boogedy from Fright Theatre. He came with two steel foot plates, 1/2 gallon of latex, chip brushes and some corpsing material (spider webbing). So, I latexed, corpsed and painted him myself. Here is a link to Fright Theatre's finished Boogedy: Fright Theatre Steve there will sell the raw ones like I got for a great price. I found latexing him myself was a great way to learn about that skill (easy!) and how to add scary paint effects (easier!)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Awesome job on the how-to, Terra!! What model of LED splash are you using there? One other thought, you could attach a flow control valve to the exhaust port of the solenoid valve. This would let you experiment with giving Boogedy more of a zombie limp (moves fast under cylinder control, then comes back to 'home' position more slowly).

Here's one from Grainger that I've used for several props. I didn't remember it being so much, but maybe there's cheaper ones available surplus.

- Hook

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,078 Posts
OMG I love this! I remember seeing that in your videos from the con... that is just wonderful and such great movement! :cool:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Terra did an amazing job! We will be doing a "press release" type of post in the near future regarding our characters in raw form. Basically the "kit" consists of one raw pull (your choice of character) with internal steel armature, 1 - 2 quarts of latex, steel foot plates to assist in standing the character and a few chip brushes for latexing and painting..............all for $325.00. That's $200.00 off of the finished version! We have found that a lot of people would like the opportunity to finish these off themselves and save a bunch at the same time. Custom armatures are available so if your looking to hook one of these up to a four-bar linkage (or whatever pneumatic device), we can assist in making that happen. Wasn't tryin to hijack the thread with an ad.......just tryin to bring some light to what Terra started off with. If you have any question, please don't hesitate to ask. As with Terra, we will be here to assist you, with the process we go through, to bring these characters to life (insert evil laugh).

Steve

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Now this one so very cool Now I want to learn about all the cool automations

I'm not sea sick… just GREEN with envy LOL

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, $325 is a big price, to be sure. Very tough decision for me to pull the trigger.

But, looking at all the benefits he brings, I'm okay with the price. I rationalized it this way: I could get a Blucky but then have to figure out a way to have him stand upright with all the weight that Blucky carries and then still figure out how make that zombie movement. In the end, I really feel like I am paying for that amazing built-in kinetic energy plus I get a very tall and big Blucky skeleton.

All together, he's a very inventive and unique prop. Additionally, he's very light and super-easy to mount. Just slide him onto the foot plates and you are good to go. The $200 off sure helped me decide and I enjoyed the corpsing and painting part of it. But, due to his price tag, he's not a casual prop, it's an investment prop. He's my back-door way of getting my hands on a professional prop without paying the $1,000 or more dollars I see for these kinds of things. :eek:

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 62 Posts