Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interviewing DJ's this afternoon. This is what I advertised on my facebook: Needs a DJ for an outdoor late Halloween party for 100 teenagers. November 7...8-10 PM or so...wants someone who will interact with the kids, dress up for Halloween and NOT somebody who throws in a CD and sits down. Know anybody?

Got a couple of suggestions and am supposed to call both today. What else should I ask them? I have never used a DJ before.

TIA
Kaye

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The only time I have used a DJ was for my wedding last summer. I would ask if they need any special hookups for equipment. I would also discuss playlist a bit, especially if you want any Halloween songs played. Music can really make set the tone for a party

·
Registered
668 Posts
I had thought about doing this, but am not quite sure how much something like that will end up costing and I'm beginning to get on a tight budget as I've been buying a lot for this party:p Lemme know how your interviews go and what they say and approximatly how much they charge for something like that if you wouldn't mind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well I Dj ( Professionally ) and these are the Questions that you Should Ask....

What is Your Deposit?
What is your Cancellation Fee? ( in Case something happens.. )
Do you Bring your own Table or Should One Be Provided?
How Many Outlets Do You need?
What Kind of Music Do You play?
How interactive are you?
how much Time Will you need to setup?
Are you insured? ( important Question )

I just got off work so I am tired Anything else you have Questions about Shoot me a Private message or Email ( [email protected] )

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DJ

Well I Dj ( Professionally ) and these are the Questions that you Should Ask....

What is Your Deposit?
What is your Cancellation Fee? ( in Case something happens.. )
Do you Bring your own Table or Should One Be Provided?
How Many Outlets Do You need?
What Kind of Music Do You play?
How interactive are you?
how much Time Will you need to setup?
Are you insured? ( important Question )

I just got off work so I am tired Anything else you have Questions about Shoot me a Private message or Email ( [email protected] )

Hope that helps!
Thank you! I knew there were many that I hadn't thought of yet!

Thanks!
Kaye

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do

I had thought about doing this, but am not quite sure how much something like that will end up costing and I'm beginning to get on a tight budget as I've been buying a lot for this party:p Lemme know how your interviews go and what they say and approximatly how much they charge for something like that if you wouldn't mind.
Will do. There is four of us moms chipping into the party so it won't be so bad on any one individual....hopefully. I know these big teen parties can get costly. I feel your pain :)

Kaye

·
Registered
670 Posts
I hired a DJ for my sons party- he's a local high school kid but is very professional. He does all the local parties in the area. We got a great deal, 250.00 for 3 hrs. He's got games planned and has been very good about inquiring about the music we would like to hear. He's also bringing a fog machine and lights. He seems to be into it! We'll see.....

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow

Booked my DJ for the big night. He will DJ for 2 hours. Answered all the questions that I was told to ask. Everything is a go. Because he is a friend of a friend and only dj'ing (?) for two hours.....drum roll please.....$50.00

I said You are hired!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
668 Posts
There's a local DJ company here that does 4 hours for $100, and I mentioned it to my husband. He's freaking out about it. I dunno if I'll be doing it or not. He is anticipating all the other stuff plus this to come to hundreds of dollars, and has said he doesn't think we can afford that much for a party. ( I honestly think it would be a great idea for there to be someone who can organize the events that are going on and who can be heard above the teens talking seems like a good idea to me plus there needs to be music and our radios here suck bad). I honestly don't know what my husband's anticipating me going all out on this year for the party (other than food) there's nothing around to spend it on it's crazy everywhere I've went this year there is nothing good Halloween wise out. Oh well... I also have a message into another person who is 17 to see how much he would charge. Thinking the kids might relate to him more as he's closer to his age. I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Booked my DJ for the big night. He will DJ for 2 hours. Answered all the questions that I was told to ask. Everything is a go. Because he is a friend of a friend and only dj'ing (?) for two hours.....drum roll please.....$50.00

I said You are hired!

Thanks everyone!
Wow! That's awesome!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Also a professional DJ checking in. I'd be nervous about someone only charging $50 for that. I would think more along the lines of $250-$300 also. Like the other DJ said, it comes with the professionalism.
I haven't been doing this for ten years but you must consider my cost for equipment for a set up your size is roughly about $7000 including speakers, lights, cd player, cords, etc. Then add business licenses, insurance, cost of legal music versus Limewire etc. The two hours it takes me to set up and the hour to take down is three hours of work I don't charge you for so now that two hour fee must cover my five hours worth of work. Not to mention travel time and gas.
Just thought I'd add my two cents so the next person to come across this can get a little insight as to why a DJ can cost so much.
Have fun with the party and be sure to let us know how it goes!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts