Halloween Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

This is my first post on the forums. I moved into my new home last year and made an 8 foot tall scarecrow loosely inspired by the scarecrow in the beginning of Sleepy Hollow. It didn't come out exactly looking like that, but still came out great (My foam pumpkin head won "Most Scary" in my county jack-o-lantern contest). I decided that each year I would build a new prop for Halloween, and this year I want to make a werewolf static prop.

I think i have decided to purchase the spider hill prop works twin spine kit for the "skeleton" to build off, but I'll be modifying it slightly so it has dentigrade legs.

I'm purchasing a mask & foam head from Amazon.

After that, I'll be working on figuring out how to make/where to buy good looking werewolf claws/fur. I'll also be looking to figure out the best way to mount the prop so it doesn't blow over in my front yard.

Lastly, I'd love to find a way to put a red led in each of the eyes of the mask, but have it run on solar power instead of batteries.

If anyone has any tips for me i'd love to hear them. Thank you!

·
Registered
883 Posts
For solar powered LEDs there are probably a million ways to do it ... but the simplest way might be to find something and cannibalize it. I needed flickering lights for inside a JoL, so I started taking apart the solar torches I have (the ones most conducive to this task).

If you want super bright ... these might work:

But they are like spot lights. VERY bright. It is easy to find red string lights that are solar, but you will have 100 or so to deal with. Way more than 2. Another option would be to take a mason jar solar light kit and skip the jar :). Most come with white lights but if you bundle them up and wrap in a red lighting gel you could make it work:

All of this is assuming you have access to the hollow head. If the head is not hollow ... ignore these thoughts.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Hello everyone!

This is my first post on the forums. I moved into my new home last year and made an 8 foot tall scarecrow loosely inspired by the scarecrow in the beginning of Sleepy Hollow. It didn't come out exactly looking like that, but still came out great (My foam pumpkin head won "Most Scary" in my county jack-o-lantern contest). I decided that each year I would build a new prop for Halloween, and this year I want to make a werewolf static prop.

I think i have decided to purchase the spider hill prop works twin spine kit for the "skeleton" to build off, but I'll be modifying it slightly so it has dentigrade legs.

I'm purchasing a mask & foam head from Amazon.

After that, I'll be working on figuring out how to make/where to buy good looking werewolf claws/fur. I'll also be looking to figure out the best way to mount the prop so it doesn't blow over in my front yard.

Lastly, I'd love to find a way to put a red led in each of the eyes of the mask, but have it run on solar power instead of batteries.

If anyone has any tips for me i'd love to hear them. Thank you!
I built my werewolf man size black power rangers type costume stuffed, then used and old long shaggy multi grey throw cut ip pieces and placed strategically with some long gret fake hair wig pieces throughout. Oh, I studied up and werewolves only yellow eyes

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I built my werewolf using a man size black power rangers type costume, it has the padding in front that looks like big muscles. I stuffed it with whatever scrap material or old cushions foam, whatever I could find. Then used and old long shaggy multi grey throw blanket and cut it up into random raggedy pieces and placed strategically with some long grey fake hair wig pieces throughout. The legs were my biggest challenge. I used an old mask and added scraps of the same cloth and wig hair . I always make all my life size props from old junk, scraps and thrift store finds. I like the whole recycle, upcycle, reuse thing, just makes sense. I ran a cord up through the suit and mask to have his eyes light up. After much research I did learn that werewolves only have yellow eyes

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So here is my progress so far on Fred the Werewolf:

I ordered the twin spine skeleton kit from spider hill prop works, along with two extra adjustable joint connections so I could make dentigrade legs.

I went to lowes & got 15 feet of 1" schedule 40 pipe, a couple of 45 degrees elbows, and then I started assembling. I used a mix of measurements from suggestions that are on spider hill's website along with measuring my own body. I found a werewolf silhouette I liked on Google & used that to mimic the pose.

Once that was done I got some old clothes and threw them on, but quickly realized that as I added weight the weak point of the structure would be the right leg at the "knee" bend. That is where all the weight of the structure comes down on, so I got two pieces of rebar, bent then in the vice, and attached them with steel hose Clamps. I drilled two holes for them to mount into the base to secure them. I'm not convinced this will withstand the elements, so I'm currently trying to fugue out a better solution that is sturdier.

After that I started to cut & attach 3.5" foam noodles to the body to fill it out. I cut a milk if in half & used then to create shoulder blades. It isn't pictured, but to make them more pronounced I added 3.5" foam noodles under them and reattached.

I bought an 11" foam head from Amazon to put my mask on, and I'm trying to decide if it sits too high or not. I may adjust that.

I'm going to fill the jeans with one straw to fill out the legs, but I got some furry boot covers to use as leg fur on the bottom.

Tractor supply has giant Styrofoam blocks they use for shipping & they leave them behind the store for recycling so I grabbed 2 of them. I'm planning to carve these into werewolf feet, and then attach them to cover the pcv that connects to the base. My boo covers will connect to these. Lastly, I have some werewolf arms/gloves on the way to finish out the hands. I'll make sure I keep updating as the project comes along.
Wood Floor Flooring Engineering Gas
Wood Floor Flooring Wall Gas
Window Wood Street fashion Denim Gas
Wood Flooring Floor Building Denim
Picture frame Window Building Wood Interior design
Shoe Purple Wood Floor Flooring
Green Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas
Wood Art T-shirt Tree Room
Wood Gas Brick Art Brickwork

Jeans Shoe Wood Road surface Floor

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Started working on the feet... Working with Styrofoam is very messy haha.

Gotta work on the overall shape now.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
883 Posts
I can see why the pose gives you a hard time. Ever since I started making props with PVC bodies I started noticing when I was in a pose that would be hard to make a prop do. Not every time, but now and then I'll notice it.

This is going to be a really cool looking prop, I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can see why the pose gives you a hard time. Ever since I started making props with PVC bodies I started noticing when I was in a pose that would be hard to make a prop do. Not every time, but now and then I'll notice it.

This is going to be a really cool looking prop, I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.
I noticed after getting the mid section built... it started leaning and I could tell it was my weak point. I just hope the rebar trick works & will sustain decent winds. I don't want to come home to this thing fallen over/broken.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried making foam hands but I didn't put any water inside the glove before spraying. I don't think it's curing very well. These will be a practice run, & I'm going to try again with some water inside.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Styrofoam feet were a no go, so for this year I'm going to just let the leg fur come down and pack pine straw around the feet when I cover the base. I'm also going to be painting the pvc black so it doesn't stand out. Hoping to get it into the yard today.

The spray foam hands didn't work either. So I stuffed foam into the fingers & packed the hands with plastic bags. I'm not a huge fan of them as they are, and I think next year I'll use coat hangers with spray foam to get a more realistic pose with the hands.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got Fred out to the yard, but once he was in place I found him to be leaving a bit too far forward. I added this brace and it fixed him right up. I'm not a fan of how big the brace is, so next year I might get a piece of metal to study him up that I can conceal better. But for now it will do! Next post will have finished product pictures.
Plant Twig Wood Grass Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Next year I will be working on feet & more realistic hands, but overall I'm pretty happy with him. I think I'm going to work on building a full moon to mount on my flag pole & make use of the led light to illuminate it & create an overall scene.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I picked up a couple of led flood lights that are adjustable & got some lighting on Fred this evening.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Fred is looking GOOD! He looks very much in motion. I think the hands look great. If the support bothers you visually, a couple of guy wires using 200# or 400# kevlar fishing line would be strong and hard to see (easy to trip on, tho). I attach them to stakes like these (called rebar pins) for this because the holes are super useful:

Photograph Rectangle Organism Wood Font

Not cheap but each year I use them I love them more ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts