Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wanted to have "torches" for Halloween that looked like they were from medieval times. Believe me, I have looked but you can't buy them on Amazon. So this year I got enough motivation to try to make one myself. Unfortunately if you google "How to make a medieval sconce" you don't get much so this was the result of some experimenting. The "rings" are pieces of 4" PVC pipe. The "rails" are 1/8" x 3/4" aluminum bar stock and connected to the rings with 3/8" bolts and nuts. The bolt head covers were made from polymer clay and epoxied onto the bolt heads. The glass was a 7" hurricane cylinder (no bottom) that I got from Amazon and I painted with two colors of Pebeo glass paint using a sponge which gave the glass this wonderful orangy old-world look and does a perfect job of hiding the LED flame bulb I used.

SconceFull.jpg

To get the wrought iron look I first painted everything with a quick-dry primer, followed by some of the "stone look" spray paint to give it texture and then covered that with "hammered metal" look spray.
SconceCloseUp.jpg

I used this flame LED from Amazon. I used a weatherproof socket from HD for the light and the base is made from several PVC pipe pieces that I had to cobble together so the socket would fit correctly and at the same time create a base for mounting the metal rails to. I used wood screws to attach the rails to the pvc base and then the actual pole is just a piece of 3/4" pvc pipe. I bought a 12' extension cord and cut the end off and that runs through the pole up to the socket.
SconceNoGlass.jpg

Here's what it looked like before painting.
View attachment 570029

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
Love this! Necessity (or in this case, desire) is the mother of invention. You really came up with a well made and accurate rendition of an old torch. Nice use of materials and the attention to detail is top notch. Strong work!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It finally stopped raining long enough for me to take some pictures and a video at night.
IMG_0043.jpg

Originally my plan was to have 2 of these (the second one is almost done) on either side of the walkway that goes to our front door. However for the time being I put this one close to the house just to see what it would look like and I absolutely love the way the light reflects off the stone. It creates a 4' diameter ring of light on the wall that dances with the flame and it adds such a cool ambiance to the whole scene that I think I will leave it there. You can see the effect that it makes from like 6 houses away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts