Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ghouls,

I made my own fog chiller using an idea i found on the WWW. However i have a couple of issues with it. The first obvious issue with it is the majority of the fog that goes into the inlet pipe comes back out again rather than going into the device.

I will post pictures of it in action and opened up. What i need help on is how to encourage all the fog to go into the device and not back out the inlet. Some does get through and comes out the outlet pipe but not a great amount.

This one shows the fog coming out the chiller
Uploaded with ImageShack.com

The fog machine and inlet pipe.

This is all the fog that has come back out of the inlet pipe, rather than gone in.

Complete view of the chiiler and fog machine.

This is with the lid off. The section between the grate and the lid is meant to be filled with ice with the section under the grate is open space for the fog. The idea is the fog goes into the inlet pipe above the lid, and comes out just under the lid then sinks down through all the ice. Through the grate and then out the outlet pipe under the grate. (Note: the pipe in the middle is just to support the weight of the fog machine)

Ice removed

The first possible reason to come to mind is my fog machine is 1500w and maybe too powerful for the chiller. Other possiblity is maybe the U-bends are preventing the flow?

I would appreciate any help given as i want to have the fog on the ground effect for my halloween party. Thanks.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,867 Posts
You should probably complete the tubing in some fashion so it creates a path through to the exit of the chiller. In general, I've seen thin metal ducting/pipe coiled inside the chiller or a straight run extending out to the exit. This site has a good suggestion for construction that uses wire mesh to create the "tube" area for the fog that would work with what you've already built.

The ice on top of the plastic grate may act as a block and impede the fog from getting down to the exit pipe too. If you've got a ton of ice in there, it will fuse together as it melts and create a solid lump, so putting a smaller amount of ice on the top and a bunch more at the bottom (but away from the exit pipe) might also help.

Having the elbow end inside with the mouth of the tube pointing up creates a trap effect with the fog. The fogger will shoot the fog through and momentum will carry some of it into the chiller body, but with it aimed upwards, and the fact that most of the fog isn't making it into the body, you'll get the warm/hot fog rising back up the pipe and escaping through the top. At the very least, I'd try removing that elbow/ubend inside the chiller completely so the fog just enters straight on (and shifting the support tube to the sides - make another one so you can still support the top evenly) and keep the center area clear so the fog isn't hitting any supports as it enters the body of the chiller.

If the fogger seems to be too powerful, that's another point in favor of adding a few coils of ductwork to funnel the fog around inside the chiller area - this keeps the fog inside the chiller longer, but still is a conduit to the exit point so should help cool down while containing the fog until it exits.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I hadn't put any more ice in the chiller than what is in the photos so i dont think it's a blockage issue. I will try your suggestion of removing the U-bend inside the chiller and see what difference it makes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have made some corrections to my fog chiller. First thing i did was remove the U-Bend inside the chiller and them tested it. And it works, all the fog goes in and comes out the other side as intended. After that i PVA glued some black fabric to the chiller to make it look better and will eventually cover up the pipe as well.

I know it's not the prettiest thing ever, but since it will be concealed under a table i not at all that fussed.

Inside. U-Bend removed.

Fog creeping out.

Still not quite as heavy or dense as i want, but i think that can be fixed once i fill up the chiller with loads more ice since i only used about a kilo or 2 of ice.

Oh, and sorry for the mess!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts