Halloween Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first How to I hope it brings some value to someone...

First, I need to give credit where credit is due. While I (like many haunters) want to believe we were the first to see a pile of junk and become inspired to say “I can make something out of that!” I am not the first to do this type of project. I think more haunters will though if they see how easy this can be. I did see the components of this project in a variety of websites and then only after coming to the conclusion that this was quite doable did I run across Jaybo’s youtube video.
You will need a USB to DMX interface. You also may need a 5 pin male to 3 pin female XLR adapter depending on your interface.
There are many on the market. The Enttec Open DMX is very popular in the haunt community.
Also you will need software, I suggest using XLights (free) to test your set up and Vixen (free) to get your your feet wet.
VSA from Brookshire is a very popular package and is not too pricey for the “hobbyist” version.
Supplies
• LED DMX Module
• RGB 5050 LED Modules
• 4 X 4 X 2 PVC Junction Box
• Clear Plexiglas
• Heat Shrink Tubing
• Silicone Caulk
• Solder
• Flat Black Spray Paint
• Hot Glue
• Small screws and nuts x 2
• Category 5 cable
• 3 pin XLR male connector
• RJ45 female to RJ45 female connector
Remove the cover from the box

Drill a ½ inch hole in the junction box to allow the connection cable to exit the box
step 1.jpg

Mark a rectangle on the cover; be careful to preserve enough material for the screws that hold the cover on.
step 2.jpg
Cut out the plastic to create a window.
I used a rotary tool like a dremel with a cutting disc.
step 3.jpg

Paint the PVC junction box and cover inside and out with the flat black spray paint
Use the scrap that was removed to create the window to mount the LED and DMX modules

Mark and drill holes in the square to allow the DMX module to be mounted
step 5.jpg
Use hot glue to glue the LED modules to the scrap
step 6.jpg
Strip the wires on the LED and DMX modules
Cut the heat shrink tubing into short lengths
Slip a piece over each one of the 4 wires and slide them as far from the stripped end as possible
Twist each of the matching wires together
step 7.jpg
Be sure to connect the correct wires from the DMX module to the LEDS.
The LED modules I used had color coded wires that were red, green, and blue so it was very easy.
Solder the wires together
Slide the heat shrink tubing over the bare solder joints

Use a heat gun to shrink the tubing to cover all the exposed solder joints
Test the unit now so you can easily make corrections
Mount the LED / DMX module assembly in the junction box
step 8.jpg
Using the silicone caulk, mount the rectangle of Plexiglas to the inside of the box cover
After the silicone cures, run a bead of silicone around the edge of the outside cover
Fill the space around the connection cable with silicone caulk
Mount the cover on the box
Connect the cable and test the unit
step 9.jpg
The units that I used, if the power is connected but not the DMX the DMX module will enter a test mode that continuously changes colors.
You can use an ATX power supply from an old PC to power the lighting.
If you choose to below is a guide to the voltages.
Use the Black wire to the negative side and the Yellow wire to the positive side.
step 10.jpg

You will need an adapter to convert the XLR connector that DMX uses to an RJ45. You will only need one of these for several lights.
Cut a category 5 cable and strip shield off.
Strip each individual wire.
Solder the orange and orange white wires to the pins on the male XLR connector in the diagram
step 11.jpg
Twist the green/white, blue, and blue white together and solder them together connect these to the 12 volt positive side of the power supply
Twist the green, brown, and brown/white and solder them together. Connect these to the ground side of the power supply.
DMX uses a daisy chain topology to communicate. To connect lights together, use 3 way category 5 splitters and standard category 5 cables to run between
step 12.jpg
The DMX modules and 5050 RGB LED modules are available from CheapDMX.com and Holidaycoro.com. I purchased the DMX module and the LED modules from CheapDMX.com for about $13
The bulk of the other items came from Home Depot and totaled about $6 for the light.
Holidaycoro.com has some great info on this idea; they have a product called the mega ball that is essentially this exact combination of components in a plastic ball rather than a J box. They now offer an LED flood kit since I started this project.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts