Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Hope everyone had a fantastic Oct 31st !!!!!!

Wondering if anyone has insight on how to DIY one of these ? The box itself looks fairly easy to find and make the holes yourself, but I don't know what mechanism / motor / machine is sifting the materials that makes them fall gently and slowly over time ? Trying to figure out if I can DIY one cheaper than ordering one (been eyeing the second one below )

This video shows the inside of the box and thus the sifting mechanism:

This is a very similar (and cheaper ) product to one above, but I can't find video or photos of the machine parts :

Really want the XL size as above VS their smaller version, but with shipping the price just gets crazy ! 馃様
Been wanting it for over a year, so exploring the DIY options first ....

Thanks for any ideas!

Registered
It looks like the motor pulls the wire mesh back and forth along the bottom, dragging the fake snow around, and that's what causes it to sift down through the holes. There's a shot in the video showing the mechanism, looks simple. Agree that I'd try to build one before I paid that much for a cardboard box.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like the motor pulls the wire mesh back and forth along the bottom, dragging the fake snow around, and that's what causes it to sift down through the holes. There's a shot in the video showing the mechanism, looks simple. Agree that I'd try to build one before I paid that much for a cardboard box.

View attachment 742465
Ha, right ??! (About cost)

I'm not mechanically inclined so figuring out the seemingly simply motor part is hard. I've tried google searching for sifting motor, side to side motor, and more and can't find anything that has this movement . Hoping maybe someone here knows what to look for ! The box and grates seem relatively easy.....

Registered
It's the same concept as a wiper motor, although a wiper motor would be overkill here. There's a short-throw arm off the motor shaft connected to the longer metal bar you see above. The metal bar is connected to the wire mesh and wood "sifter." Wired to run clockwise, as the arm goes "up" it will pull the wire mesh towards the motor. As it travels around and "down" it would push the mesh away from the motor creating a sifting effect.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
It's the same concept as a wiper motor, although a wiper motor would be overkill here. There's a short-throw arm off the motor shaft connected to the longer metal bar you see above. The metal bar is connected to the wire mesh and wood "sifter." Wired to run clockwise, as the arm goes "up" it will pull the wire mesh towards the motor. As it travels around and "down" it would push the mesh away from the motor creating a sifting effect.
thank you. I need to be more mechanically inclined, lol.

Registered
No problem. I'm only about four or five years into prop building. There is a TON of information within these pages and everyone is more than willing to help. I'm guessing this would be a pretty easy build if you went that way.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8

Registered
This is the 鈥渇ancy鈥 version of a snow box designed for theater. An even easier version is a drum made out of chicken wire mounted on an axel. Fill the drum with snow, apply a slow rpm motor and quiet snow! I have 5 or 6 of these in my basement right now from my job...we replaced the mechanical snow shaker with a foam based snow machine for the shows. When I get a chance I鈥檒l share a photo.

Registered
Here you go! Much easier build than the shaker box, and gives you the same results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts