Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone. i was wondering if anyone has ever made fake cannonballs. or know of a way to make them. if thought of maybe finding the little kid plastic bowling balls but they may get expensive. thanks in advance

·
Registered
291 Posts
paper Mache is cheap and easy. Small round balloons wrapped with papermache. Let it dry and pop the balloon with a pin.

·
Registered
48 Posts
we did styrofoam balls from Michael's in various sizes and then used toothpicks to hold them together. Styrofoam eats glue so we painted with grey first then black to give depth better grey then white.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I made a cannon for Halloween last year and needed some cannonballs to complete my pirate cemetary. I was going to buy styrofoam balls but realized I might be in a high wind location. I figured something would come to me and several days later I found giant Christmas ornaments at the Dollar Store! Thankfully they had already put out Christmas stuff a month before Halloween. I bought 4 of them (styrofoam balls are never that cheap), sanded the mold separation lines down and painted them flat black. I turned the little ornament hanger "nipples" inward and hot glued them together in a pyramid. Done!

·
Pirate of the Puget Sound
715 Posts
I just use the plastic ball from the cheap ball and chain prop found at most stores at Halloween time. I found them on sale last year for $1 a piece. I lightly spray them with a texture spray and tie them together. They stand up better than foam balls and are cheaper.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I see cheap bowling balls at thrift stores all the time! Large, black, heavy and would stand up to any punishment year after year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Awesome idea and execution! I live in a windy area as well going to try either this or bowling balls.

I made a cannon for Halloween last year and needed some cannonballs to complete my pirate cemetary. I was going to buy styrofoam balls but realized I might be in a high wind location. I figured something would come to me and several days later I found giant Christmas ornaments at the Dollar Store! Thankfully they had already put out Christmas stuff a month before Halloween. I bought 4 of them (styrofoam balls are never that cheap), sanded the mold separation lines down and painted them flat black. I turned the little ornament hanger "nipples" inward and hot glued them together in a pyramid. Done!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts