Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the Spirit Halloween Cocooned Corpse, but I would like to build my own. I know I can just buy one but I would rather make one. Any idea the type of motor or mechanism that's used to create the illusion of struggling?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Depending how heavy the prop is, an off balance shaft on a motor/servo could do it. I’ve seen people get really complicated with jointed framework/skeleton underneath, but if you’ve got it hinged loose enough, it won’t take much to do a convincing effect.

That being said, I always like the convulsion effect vs just vibrating (some of the cheaper version of the same prop just vibrate)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
There used to be a child's toy called a "Bumble Ball" which looked like a WW2 sea mine (sphere with short cylilndrical nubs on the surface) that would bounce around with a motor. I'd suggest one of those in the chest of the prop.

·
Shiver me timbers
1,271 Posts
I bought some bumble balls last season. I remember them being more forceful. I wound up getting vibrator units from a massage chair manufacturer.

There used to be a child's toy called a "Bumble Ball" which looked like a WW2 sea mine (sphere with short cylilndrical nubs on the surface) that would bounce around with a motor. I'd suggest one of those in the chest of the prop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I built my own a few years ago after seeing the Spirit Halloween version. The internal skeleton is just three boards (approx. 1/4" x 4") connected with hinges, in lengths roughly corresponding to torso, upper leg, and lower leg. A wiper motor is mounted on the upper leg board, connected by a linkage to the torso board. As the motor turns, the corpse bends and straightens at its 'waist'. Chicken wire is molded in the shape of a body and stapled to the boards. Beef netting and spider webbing is wrapped around the outside to give it a cocooned look. It's a decent amount of work, but IMHO will look better than what you can buy from Spirit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I made a moving coccoon corpse using the same method as AngusTheCat but used a shiatsu massager between the torso and upper leg. It made the prop heavy but I used metal wire to hang it in my garage and it's stayed up literally for years.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
There are many YouTube videos on how to do it plus there are websites like Frightprops.com that have mechanisms for them, you could Copy the designs yourself. As for motion, wiper motor or air cylinders work the best and longest.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was looking for a kind of circular "struggling " movement. I feel like wiper and reindeer motors will look more like it's doing a sit up. I thought a shiatsu motor would give me the motion I'm looking for, but I'm worried it won't be able to sustain the movement for the season let alone multiple seasons. I'll lay it out with the reindeer motor to see if it moves like I want.. Thank you for the link!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts