Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
crossfit zombie
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in love with several of their props. Before we start you could build it yourself ... I’ve built several motorized props done that so now I’m wanting reviews of the frightronics line. If you have any of them I would love your reviews of them. They look well built are they? The motors are they waterproof?

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,519 Posts
I've owned a couple of the DU frightronics; Twitch and Death Rising. Up front they are extremely durable with well built motors, metal gears and solid connections. I had mine out in the rain before and they worked flawlessly, This is not to say that left out in soaking rains for extended times that there may not be an issue. Water always finds a way in someplace. Mine were displayed outdoors on Halloween night, and for a couple evenings when we took pics and people wanted to come over to see the display. DU makes a good prop and the price reflects that.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,536 Posts
We've got numerous Distortions props, and in my opinion, they rock! I always get great compliments. They're built to last, that's for sure.

They're customer service is good too, but sometimes it takes a while to get their stuff. If you order it 3rd party like on eBay, you don't need to worry about that. Great folks there though. If you ever saw the show Making Monsters, that was them. I no longer buy props at Spirit since they stopped producing quality Gemmy life-size props. Now I buy DU props. I've purchased all their moving tombstones, with and without zombies, plus numerous indoor moving props.

·
Registered
480 Posts
DU props are incredible compared to the big box Halloween chains. It's all made in the US using really high quality foam, and for the most part, the movement mechanism are metal/steel. Their props are designed for professional haunts. So they are incredibly durable and could be run for years nonstop probably without breaking down. Best of all, if you pick up the phone and call them, a real personable human being will help you and answer all your questions. They even helped me find a replacement power supply to slow down the movement of one of their props. It ended up being from a company that's 10 miles away from me!

I own their Lullaby and Moving Monument frightronic props. Both of those look fantastic. They do a good job of waterproofing electrical connections, but I'd still be careful about leaving them out in the rain unless I checked that there was no place for water to get in. Their stuff is pricey for a reason compared to most everything else out there that isn't for pros. But I really guarantee you'll be happy with what you get if you've been eyeing something.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy anything they make.

Some tips for getting the best price:

1. Target does carry some of their props from year to year in their online store. Last year they had the some animated tombstones, which is how I snagged the moving monument. They will run sometimes up to 20% off sales that put them in line with the cheapest sellers on ebay, but Target will give you totally free shipping. There's also third party sellers on amazon that sometimes will drop prices to Target sale levels when those are going on. Use camelcamelcamel.com to track amazon prices.
  2. The prices for DU's online store are good, but not great. However, they tend to be lower than most every other Halloween retailer (obviously) out there. I tracked the prices on my moving monument for months at 10 different online halloween stores (halloweenexpress, etc.), and even with the 20-30% coupons those stores throw out there from time to time, their prices were way higher (with shipping) than Target and DU direct.

·
crossfit zombie
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
271 Posts
I personally don't own any of them, but I do get to see them at TransWorld up close, and they look amazing, all around. This year I am hoping to walk out with one of their props....budget friendly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts