Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking through the forum trying to find out how to mount a flying Crank Ghost. I have seen them here and other sites online displayed both inside and out but I'm not sure how to secure them.

I keep finding descriptions of how to "build" a FCG but I want to know how to get the whole rig mounted so I can display it.

This will be my first non-static prop. I have not tried to build it yet, so I also have no idea how heavy it will be which adds to my problem of not knowing how to mount it. I'd hate to get the ghostie completed and not be able to show it off.

Any help with pictures would be much appreciated! :D

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
I built a pvc frame that fits around the window I display it in.Then the FCG frame hangs from wires tied to the pvc frame.Black plastic draped over entire pvc frame blacks out the light from inside the house so ghost can be seen.Then after the big day it comes apart and stores flat.Sorry never grabbed a pic of it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I hang mine in a tree outside and use the 4 attachment points that I think most platforms have. There are two in the back by the head and one one each end of the front, not at the end of each armature.

Here is a pic...

·
Registered
201 Posts
I made a stand out of EMT conduit and painted it black. We have a cathedral ceiling so I couldn't hang it from there. It sits in our living room back a ways from the picture window so I looks like is floating in the middle.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Skullboy, if you made a frame out of PVC does that mean that the whole FCG rig is pretty light? Any guesses as to how much it weighs? How tall is the frame that you made?

·
spookiness in the suburbs
905 Posts
Ours is in a bay window, so we made an engine -hoist style stand that wouldn't show in the side windows. It's 2X4s bolted together and it breaks down for storage. Our FCG platform is wood, and the motor is a wiper motor, so we made it super-sturdy...

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
I used (if i remember right) 1-1/4 pvc for the frame work.I can check in the morning if you need.The FCG rig usually is pretty light,mine is aluminum.The pvc frame I made is about 8.5 feet tall,2.5 deep and 6 feet wide and fits around a bay window.Some folks just put hooks in the drywall and hang it from that but the wife would beat my A$$ if I tried that one.

·
Registered
400 Posts
LOL @ Skull boy. I built exactly the same thing you're describing. Aluminum rig, PVC frame, and a black curtain to cover the frame. The whole thing is pretty light, and is free standing, so you don't have to put any holes in the ceiling.

·
Tormentor of Cucurbits
3,477 Posts
I have mine out in our screened in porch so I used eye lags in the ceiling (3/8 plywood) The rig has three attachment points & I just zip tie it to the eye lags. Not sure of the weight but I would guess the whole rig is less than ten pounds.......
View attachment 6674

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the help and photos. Like I said, I haven't started the project and I don't even have the parts yet. It just looked heavier in the pics that I found. I'm going to complete it even if the big day passes before I'm through. I figure I can learn alot by making my own and hopefully apply that to future props. Thanks again!

·
Registered
79 Posts
The zip tie idea is great--especially for fine tuning levelness. I was trying to figure a easier way of adjusting my rig without retying/readjusting the strings. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found the scaffolding idea to be very helpful in my build. I was trying to figure out how to display my newly built FCG at work, but it was difficult due to the high ceiling and large spacing between beams. The PVC scaffolding was easy to build, assemble, disassemble and transport. I was then also able to extend it for displaying the ghost in in my upstairs window without having to drill any holes in the ceiling, which definitely made my wife happy.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
I have my FCG rig permanently mounted in the attic with metal plumbers strapping. Drilled three small holes in the ceiling for my fishing line to come through and the ghost is displayed in our large window above the front door.
The blacklights are mounted high up near the top of the window.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts