Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just got back from Disney world. Just as we thought we had their candles figured out (flickering tea lights) they seem to have some AMAZING looking new candles in both the staircase room and the seance circle of the haunted mansion.
From what I can tell, it looks like a "flame" shaped piece of tissue paper on a lightweight spring, so that it moves or "blows" ever so slightly in the drafts. It looks like they have an LED pointed at the flame to make it light up.
Unfortunatly, I didn't get any pictures. Has anyone else seen these, or know how they are done? They look SOOOOO real!!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm glad someone else knows what i'm talking about. I really did think that it was a real flame until you get to the side and see that the flame is flat on one side. Only 2D, not 3D.
There's got to be a way we can make these cheaper...

·
Registered
591 Posts
seems so simple if it's just a spring and led and a pic of a flame on tissue paper doesn't seem hard If I could see one.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I thought this effect uses a fan to Blow the flame shaped cloth, creating the flicker effect.

I ha a large version of this effect. two flame shaped pieces of cloth overlaping and a slit in the middle where they connect. This makes it 3-d. no matter where you veiw it is a wide flam.

this effect would be cool in a slim candle design. But a little hard considering it needs a fan.
but arent those in the link using the 3 led with alternating strobing to create the flicker effect?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're referring to the "silk flame" effect that was made popular in Pirates of the Caribbean, and made more commercially available years back. That looks great for large fires, but not necessarily for candles.
It looks like one of the candles in the link is using the flickering LED, while the top one may be using the new flame effect that Disney is now using.
Also, I believe the 3 LED design was kind of bypassed in favor of companies recessing the LED into the candle, therefore only needing one LED. The beauty of the new candles I saw at Disney is that the flame looks real whether there is a breeze or not, and sways in the breeze if there is one. I'm gong to do a some experimenting to see if I can build one of these.
Does anyone know of an alternative to tissue paper that would be lightweight, and a little longer lasting?

·
Pirate of the Puget Sound
715 Posts
It looks like there is a flexible wire between the bulb and the socket unit that gives the candle the slight motion effect. From the video, the bulb doesn't appear to flicker.

·
Registered
591 Posts
By joe I think I got it! I put it together tonite and post. So be about .50 to make or free if you have the stuff.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thanks for the link and video! Very neat concept.

·
Pirate of the Puget Sound
715 Posts
Would a bimetallic stip be able to provide a constant current to the bulb regardless of temperature? Whatever the material, it has to be flexible enough to allow the bulb to move without being too fragile. Once that metallic strip breaks, you're out $25.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Wow ... not sure about anybodys else's thoughts, but that candle in the video looks like crapola . Sure as heck don't think Disney used anything so cheap looking . And flickering ??? Did I miss something there ? Sure didn't see any flickering , looked more to me like one of those bobble heads moving .

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. I am also 100% SURE that the flame was flat when viewed from the wrong angle, so that makes me think the bulb isn't in the flame itself.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts