Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the past Saturday i had my annual Halloween party, which was partly incapacitated by a downpour that lasted until right before the party, so no outdoor decorations. However, i took comfort in the fact that everyone was astounded by the interior decorating. Since i didn't want to let the weather to get me down, the next day i decorated the front yard/entrance way, putting out the props and projects i've been working on all month. It looked great, and even better, i was even scared by it.

However, Murphy's law seems to enjoy my company enough to make have second performance, but this time, it was wind rather than rain. :( I got home around 5pm yesterday, expecting to finish the last of the little details and such, only to see what can only be described as a visual massacre!:eek: the wind, which hit an astounding 38mph(which is unusual around here) had decided to blow through all day, never relenting. The result was that EVERY singe prop had been hurled 10-15ft away from its original position, either braking somewhere, or being relatively damaged(i won't even describe the gravestones:( ). all the sheeting that had been put up was completely torn down. my large "magic show" stage was actually knocked over(and this thing is made of big wood walls with bracing0, and my graveyard sign had been ripped clean off of its posts.

Well, now I'm in a slump. the weather forcast from WTOP says that it will be calm and clear tomorrow and Friday, but I'm just so upset i can't even think straight. i actually wanted to cry. We don't get alot of tricker treaters around here(col-da-sac), but my neighbors love my display. I'm wondering if i shouldset it all up again, or just hand out candy with a few props by the front door.

I guess i could just use a little encouragement...:(

·
Registered
91 Posts
I know how you feel. After fixing things from Saturday's storm, I took most of it down during the start of yesterday's wind & rain. I wasn't looking forward to coming home from work today to just put everything back up again.

But, as soon as I got home, and got to work, I started feeling much better just thinking about how people compliment the yard. I got it back to where I wanted to be.

You need to forget about the bad luck, and get yourself in the Halloween spirit. You will feel so much better as your decorations take shape again.

253 Posts
I can completely relate!! We had rain until about an hour before our party on Saturday & had to deal with the mud. Then yesterday the high winds came and wreaked havok on our cemetery - blew down ALL of the fence columns which have to weigh at least 30 pounds each with all the wood they are made of, smashed all of the gargoyles we had sitting on top of each post. Broke 3 fence sections (made of wood and PVC) in HALF! And then there's the tombstones... like you said. We had neighbors return some that had ended up in their yards - I've never seen anything like it. We were SO bummed BUT my DH got out there today to salvage what he could and he set everything back up and now I do feel better & actually might be starting to look forward to having trick or treaters again. I know you said you don't get many TOT's, but I say set it back up and don't end your Halloween season on a bad note. Good luck!!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,158 Posts
Awww. So sorry! :(

I can sympathize.

I had a horrible rainstorm destroy my crypt columns. And a wind (probably the same one that hit you - seems it was sweeping across many states) rip my crypt roof off and split it into pieces. I wanted to cry.

Give yourself permission to be upset, but realize that you will feel MUCH better putting everything back the way it was.

·
Vicious Dog Wrangler
1,012 Posts
I totally understand your pain Phantom. We had wild winds/weather (even some snow) and my graveyard was GONE. I admit I shed a tear or two when I saw the destruction here. It's such a disappointment when you work so hard, even if it's just for your own pleasure. I say, put up the stuff that is your favorite first, then work on the rest if you have the time/energy. You'll prob. regret it if you just scrap the whole thing, ya' know? I hope your forecast for friday stays good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the support everyone, it really does make me feel better. I guess what i'll do is setup my favorites first, and then see if i have time for the rest. luckily, three of my friends offered to come over mid-afternoon to help setup anything needed, which will make things go faster.

I just hope the weather stays good, which will make for pleasant setup(fingers crossed!!!)

·
Registered
574 Posts
I share your pain. Virtually everything I had out was damaged or moved, and we're talking dozens of pieces, by the bad winds over the weekend, Monday, and Tuesday. I just came inside after putting everything back (midnight), since the weather channel now says all the bad wind is behind us. Six hours that could have been better spent... But it's for the children, of course, and you can't disappoint the children...

Craig

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
I guess i could just use a little encouragement...:(
Ok here's some encouragement from me.

JUST GIVE OUT CANDY???!!
How boring is THAT?
Its going to be calm and clear the next two days so stop feeling sorry for yourself, get over it and get out there and make it just as good as before!
You worked too hard on that display to let mother nature win!
You can do it!
*rocky theme music playing*

MsM

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sorry the weather has got you down, as it has done so many this year. Maybe you can use the destruction to your advantage and have a more run down looking graveyard. Always creepy.

In support of all haunters that have had weather troubles this year (us included), I am now on my way out to light my pumpkins. Sort of a pumpkin vigil for all you hard working haunters out there! Happy Haunting!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts