Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband took me and my four year old to the next town over, clear on the other side of the next town...about 20-25 mins one way...to see a yard with a huge halloween display that he had came across this past weekend.

Can you believe nothing was lit up? I was sooooooooooo disappointed!

·
Registered
375 Posts
My yard is not lit up either, all this rain keeps tripping my circuit breaker in the garage. Until I can figure out which extension cord is causing this, nothing will be lit until it stops raining. (sad face) I did score two new cords on clearance at Lowe's today! Yay. $5 each.

Are you guys getting this rain, too?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have fog, dreary wet fog, and have lost two spot lights due to it, and I don't even have the real stuff out yet! Mud and Fog and cold and wind.

Sometimes you just have to shut it all down. Especially if it is wet. I don't like winning the lights contest at Christmas because it makes people madder when you have that big winner sign and don't have them on every minute. Or you feel bad if something blows over lol. I thought one year I would be blacklisted because during my winner week an ice storm shut me down for 2 nights, but I wasn't.

·
Registered
167 Posts
This weekend we're heading out out of state for the first ime in October since we began decorating (5 years ago!). I'm terrified that something's going to go awry while we're gone.

It did help that everything survived this week's snowstorm. We've also nemtioned to a few neighbors that we'd be leaving, and they all immediately offered to watch it for us.

·
Grand Poobah
2,899 Posts
I went out a while ago to consider putting up fence and tombstones... but after all the rain we have had, with more on the way... I'm going to wait.

The grass is bound to grow a foot by the weekend anyway.

I decided to just sketch everything out on paper and take Friday off before HW and set it all up.

I hope I have enough extension cord... this old house is going to require me to route power from all around the house.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Very heavy rains here today. I don't set up anything until Halloween day and what I do depends on the weather and what I have ready to put out. I have had problems in the past with outdoor lighting and rain with xmas decorations so can understand your frustrations and caution. I wish Halloween fell the last week of September instead. The weather here is so much nicer then and more predictable.

The only good thing about the rain is that the ground might actually be malleable enough to put a stake in the ground without breaking it.

BTW I have only just recently seen any neighbors putting out displays and lighting them at night.

·
A Great Pumpkin
3,103 Posts
We've been wet, windy & cold here, so I've been waiting to put stuff out. Of course today was pretty nice, but life & all her demands got in the way, so maybe later this week.

·
I make dead things deader
4,565 Posts
I went out a while ago to consider putting up fence and tombstones... but after all the rain we have had, with more on the way... I'm going to wait.

The grass is bound to grow a foot by the weekend anyway.

I decided to just sketch everything out on paper and take Friday off before HW and set it all up.

I hope I have enough extension cord... this old house is going to require me to route power from all around the house.
My thoughts exactly on all counts, I'll be running cord from the backyard garage around the whole house.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
I got most of my lighting up last Friday and now I have everything on a timer so it pops on around 6pm and turns off around 9pm. I'll extend that time as Halloween gets closer.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rain

My yard is not lit up either, all this rain keeps tripping my circuit breaker in the garage. Until I can figure out which extension cord is causing this, nothing will be lit until it stops raining. (sad face) I did score two new cords on clearance at Lowe's today! Yay. $5 each.

Are you guys getting this rain, too?
Yes, we are. We have had flooding too. Stinks! Forecast called for up to 3 inches today.

·
crossfit zombie
7,590 Posts
RAIN RAIN AND MORE RAIN!!!So tired of it.Even tho I light everything up when I am home if it is raining alot of the props don't go out.Like micheal myers-hex-heads off harry-fogger-peppers ghost-and all my pumpkin rots-ground breaker zombies-and projector pumpkins-my singing elvis(which I love).I have only had everything out 3 times and I have had things up since the first week of oct.So if someone comes by they don't see all I have which sux!With the wind and the rain it has really got me down this year.on a bright note my ts are not falling down like last year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts