Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a bunch of incandescent black light bulbs and boy do they suck! I will break down and buy some powerful fluorescent ones.

But I have a question. Do the red incandescent suck as well or are they okay?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Incandescent so-called "black light" bulbs are nothing more than colored glass. They lack the ultraviolet light waves to cause luminescence. Plus, incandescent "black light" bulbs block nearly all the light energy generated by the filament and therefore they get 2-3 times hotter than a regular lightbulb. I for one feel that they should be abolished altogether as a safety hazard. Very very dangerous.

Go to WalMart and get their fluorescent black lights that are the ones for $9.99. They are half the price you can get them anywhere else. And they're the real thing.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
They do sell bulbs that are good at spirit. They are 2 u shaped bulbs and they screw into a socket. Maybe 9.99 each. Also the blacklight LED bulb is amazing Just search ebay for blacklight, LED, screw and you can pick up 2 60LED par20's for 35 bucks. Amazing output again screw based, or go for the long bulbs, your choice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow...thanks for the info.
What is a good, yet cheap, way to easily create good spooky indoor lighting for a Halloween Party?

·
Banned
535 Posts
I agree those bulbs get VERY VERY HOT!!!!! I get a 8 dollar shoplight fixture from lowes and get two black light bulbs from them also. Works like a charm! I believe the bulbs are 40 watts and $12 each but worth it.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
get the twisted compact energy saver (energy star) black light bulbs , hardware store should have them with a bunch of other colored ones too.... these little bulbs glow ALOT and do not come very very hot like the regular incendecent bulbs either .....i use one in each my windows to light up ghosts and i use one outside to light my Flying crank ghost in a flood light socket that i have water proofed with a 2 littre bottle over it .....

·
Registered
199 Posts
I saw the compact florescent colored bulbs (including black light) at my local Menards for $7.99 a piece just a couple of days ago. Best price I have seen for them.

-Handy_Haunter

·
Registered
144 Posts
if buying new, consider LEDs. but yea, good ol shop lights with two 4' fluor bulbs is the way to throw some UV around.

these fluor fixtures do not like the weather, so cover em good each night after a liberal cool down period.

But do keep even these away from people and flammables. They still get plenty hot, but yes - those incandesents should be abolished.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Incandescent so-called "black light" bulbs are nothing more than colored glass. They lack the ultraviolet light waves to cause luminescence. Plus, incandescent "black light" bulbs block nearly all the light energy generated by the filament and therefore they get 2-3 times hotter than a regular lightbulb. I for one feel that they should be abolished altogether as a safety hazard. Very very dangerous.

Go to WalMart and get their fluorescent black lights that are the ones for $9.99. They are half the price you can get them anywhere else. And they're the real thing.
I agree with you. I bought two incandescent black flood lights for outside last year and they got so hot that I unscrewed them and put them away. I should have thrown them out and probably will. I was afraid they would explode if it rained or catch my yard on fire if it didn't! They are a safety hazard in my opinion also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much you want to spend? I know a place where you can get 400 watt fixture with bulb for $127. It is the one I use, I actually have 2 but it is to much so I just use one. One of them will cover 60 ft, so more then enough.
This is my first year doing this. I have already spent some cash on other basic items, so I cant spend a lot, deffinitly not $127.

Right now I am looking for a way to cheaply create spooky indoor lighting for a adult Halloween.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The incandecent bulbs are terrible. The spotlight shaped ones, are just that... Spotlight "shaped". No reflective material in the bulb to focus the light into one directional beam. Their cheap cheap CHEAP! (which translates into sux, sux, SUX!)

The most economical bang for your buck is any flourecent tube you can afford.

For small areas or to focus the effect, use the compact flourecents. Put then in a clamp lamp, (the metal kind with a SMALL shiny silver bowl?) and the effect will be focused in one direction and adjustable.

For a room, like a hallway or a bathroom, I'd use the 18 inch long stereotypical fixtures.

For larger areas, go with the 4-foot flourecent shop lights and install a flourecent blacklight tube(s) in them.

Don't forget...

Blacklights can damage your vision if you don't protect yourself. Imagine if you brought a white flourecent tube up to your eyes and switched it on, and staired into it for hours. Not a bright idea. (pun intended.):(

Blacklights are the equivalant output to the white version. It's just that our sensory perception (eyes dialating, or "pain",) isn't triggered as well with the UV spectrum.

Just because it ain't bright, don't mean it's not doing you any damage. The best sunglasses have ORANGE or AMBER lenses.

Buy a pair of UV blocking sunglasses if you plan to be in a strong UV environment. You won't chance your vision with retena burns or cause an increase in Cataracts, (a clouding of the lens within the eye,) as UV tends to age the lens faster.

It may also prevent the lens's ability to focus. (but this is over a prolonged use over years.) But, hey... you wouldn't operate shop machinery without eye protection, why take a chance in this case??

THESE days, UV blocking sunglasses enjoy a standardized rating system. If they say they block 90%, then that's what they block. But the best test is to look through a pair, at a UV lamp which is on. If it looks like the lamp is dim, or completely out when you wear them, then that's a good pair.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Crap, I just bought some incandescent blacklight floodlight bulbs at Spirit. I know incandescents suck, but I neglected to realize they heat up that much more (duh). I was thinking of aiming two or three to make up for the lack of UV, but this is seeming to be more and more of a bad idea.

Guess I wasted some money.

Time to get some CFL blacklight bulbs intstead if I can find them.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,528 Posts
Compact fluorescent bulbs at Home Depot for $4.98 each including the blacklight bulb. These all do an excellent job!!!
Crap, I just bought some incandescent blacklight floodlight bulbs at Spirit. I know incandescents suck, but I neglected to realize they heat up that much more (duh). I was thinking of aiming two or three to make up for the lack of UV, but this is seeming to be more and more of a bad idea.

Guess I wasted some money.

Time to get some CFL blacklight bulbs intstead if I can find them.
Definitely stay away from the incandescent purple bulbs. They simply are not blacklights. We should sue the manufacturers for false advertizing and for safety reasons. :) The compact flourescent blacklights are awesome and as Indi stated, only $4.98 at Home Depot right now.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Here in Colorado when it snows on the super hot incandesent bulbs (Either black light, red, green or blue) they tend to shatter and throw shards of hot glass on the TOTs. After that experiance I don't use them at all. That being said I have a bunch for sale, any takers? LOL.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Do you take Pay Pal??

HA! JK!

I'd just throw away the blacklight incandecents. But the rest sound like "Party Bulbs. (25 Watt in different transperant colors) I'd just find a protected fixture to use them in, like a clamp lamp or something that's going to keep rain or snow off the bulbs altogether.

If you're familliar with the assembly of lamp fixtures, you might be able to put a socket inside a coffee can. I've done that on occasion. But a clamp lamp would be a better option. And if you're not an electrician, "safer" too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts