Halloween Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Wow, that is interesting. And thanks for the heads up on that! I was really eyeing that panel for the future... sigh... oh well! :OP

I wonder if it's just for that paint, do you know? I know that the UV LEDs will cause other items to glow but not as much as the CFLs.

Again, thanks for the heads up! :O)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So as the witching hour passes, here I find myself resurrecting the dead... "THREAD" that is! LOL!

I am determined to have this effect working this year. Here is a photo of the front of my townhouse including the front window on the upper floor. In fact due to lack of time last year, I was only able to place my flickering candelabra on the window sill (as seen in the image).

View attachment 4231

Also here is a video of the "Endless Hallway" at Phantom Manor, Disneyland Paris. Through a Pepper's Ghost setup, the ghost-bride fades in & out whilst still maintaining hold on the candelabra. Skip to 4:23 in the video for the "fading bride" in the Endless Hallway.

My dilema is that I am faced with several different methods of pulling it off!

1) Pepper's Ghost - I'm already a veteren of this effect but I don't like the idea of using it at such angles.

2) My original idea of a fading LED UV cluster bulb (these don't fade really) and spraying a black FCG with UV hairspray (discussed at length throughout this thread).

3) 2nd idea of dousing said black FCG in glow-in-the-dark paint and letting my lightning flashes temporary illuminate him and then slowly fade away (utilized in Disney's Haunted Mansion seance scene along the outside of the room... a small face is projected and moves around on a scrim painted with the stuff).

4) LCD projector onto a scrim painted with the glow-in-the-dark paint. The image would fade in and out as needed which offers greater control but may appear somewhat 2 dimensional? Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

5) Scrim hung imediately behind floating candelabra and lights fading on & off illuminating the ghost in behind? This is exactly what scrim is for... hmmmmmm...

OK peeps... any other ideas would be welcome. My goal is to keep this as inexpensive & simple as possible.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
I think there used to be a tutorial or idea about using a small, low RPM motor to slowly open and close a door over a flourescent blacklight fixture. As the door slowly closed, the light would fade and the UV ghost would not be illuminated while it was closed. I've been meaning to try this (someday).
If this idea has already been mentioned--Sorry!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hey Dave... thanks... I'm going to take a look. By using that technique I can still use the UV flouescents which give off more UV!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
LOL..Video! LOL... I'm lucky to have gotten this far on her! No, video will happen Sat night, after which I plan to post said video! :O)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So I was going through old threads I had either started or replied to and realized that I never updated this one with images/videos of my final effect!

I never did find a suitable and simple way to produce the fade in/out effect with UV lights. Instead I synced the lights with my lightning setup and had her appear with each lightning strike. Not what I had originally imagined but still effective all the same!

IMAG0366.jpg IMAG0729.jpg IMAG0738.jpg

·
Registered
468 Posts
That's a really cool effect, part hatbox ghost, and part like those portraits in the entrance hall that flash UV light along with the lightning in the windows. The only other idea I had was to use vertical blinds to mask the UV light, maybe opening and closing them with a deer motor would give the effect of gradual lighting. Oh, and your house looks awesome!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts