Halloween Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I had posted how I hate the sound of the possesed portriat, amont other props (possesed books).
seems like they as have crappy sounds. and wold be better off w/o them.

a fellow member suggested dis-connecting the speaker.

So I thought i'd start a new thread here so the experts can chime in.

I seem to remember . Boris talking skull. someone had disconnected the speaker. But the power that operates the jaw travels thrught that speaker. So the jaw stoped working.

so my concrnn it disconecting the speaker then having the prop not work at all.

some of the insides of these things are pretty tight and my solder skills arent that great. so ther is a cencern that I wouldnt be able to put it back if it didnt work.

But if I experienced this problem. wouldnt I be able to connect the two speaker wires together??? to close the circuit???

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have partially done this to some of my props and havent had any problems, I actually have to disable the sound on one tonight after work that looks a little tricky.

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
if it does stop a resistor can be put in its place, most speakers are 8 ohms
The 8 Ohms, if I remember right and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, for AC current (like a speaker) is represented in the form of Impedance where a resistor and an inductor (coil resistance represented by Reactance) are wired together to impede AC current. Not sure if a resistor can be used alone, or if simply using an 8Ohm resistor would work. Sounds like you may need an inductor too. Like I said, I could be wrong.

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
Ahhh...then why are the resistances in speakers represented in impedance? Is it the variable current and the fact that the speaker itself is a coil? That would make sense. But then you would still need a coil to replace the speaker if it is disconnected, wouldn't you?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ahhh...then why are the resistances in speakers represented in impedance? Is it the variable current and the fact that the speaker itself is a coil? That would make sense. But then you would still need a coil to replace the speaker if it is disconnected, wouldn't you?
actually leaving the circuit open is the best bet. i have done this on countless props/toys etc and have never had it effect how the pc board works. The output stage of the sound circuit is not dependent for circuit operation in my experience:cool:
and yes the seeker driver itself is the coil

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Isnt that how they made distortion effects for the guitar? poking a hole in the speaker, created a humming effect.

anyway. I finally figured out why they add the cheesy sounds to these props... Cause it drowns out all the noise coming from the motor.
I disconnected the speaker from last years Huanted books. But noticed how lopud the motor was.

So my plan is to disconnect two out of three of these props. this way I dont get 3 sounds being activated going off. just one .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts