Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rinky-dink color organ that I use as a lightning controller. I just put the speaker near it and the light fluctuates with the sound. I like this setup, but it can only handle 200 Watts. I'm using two 90 W halogens, so this only lights up one tree in my yard and I want to do the whole house too. So, I want to replace these two halogens with several white LED floods. I found a ton of inexpensive ($7-$20) outdoor landscape lights: Cool White color, 10W or 20W, Waterproof, etc. http://www.ebay.com/itm/281625800230

The problem is that I think they need to be dimmable for the best effect, but none seem to be like this...unless they're $120. (e.g. Minion).

Has anyone tried these seemingly non-dimmable ebay lights for lightning? Or, does anyone have any other experience with these cheap-o floods?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm not a 100% sure my work around on this is right, but I would use 12v LED flood lights about $8 a piece from china. and then add a dimmable 12v controller to it. Also cheap.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you buy the cheapest crappiest ones ou find, they will probably flicker and cjange brightness all by themselves. Of course, they may burn your house down too, but its fun to gamble a little.....;)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not a 100% sure my work around on this is right, but I would use 12v LED flood lights about $8 a piece from china. and then add a dimmable 12v controller to it. Also cheap.
Neat idea. I looked for 12V controllers and found some units online. Does it seem reasonable that the 12V side of the controller/transformer would fluctuate in direct correlation with the 120VAC fluctuation provided by the color organ? I wasn't sure about this.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a rinky-dink color organ that I use as a lightning controller. I just put the speaker near it and the light fluctuates with the sound. I like this setup, but it can only handle 200 Watts. I'm using two 90 W halogens, so this only lights up one tree in my yard and I want to do the whole house too. So, I want to replace these two halogens with several white LED floods. I found a ton of inexpensive ($7-$20) outdoor landscape lights: Cool White color, 10W or 20W, Waterproof, etc. http://www.ebay.com/itm/281625800230

The problem is that I think they need to be dimmable for the best effect, but none seem to be like this...unless they're $120. (e.g. Minion).

Has anyone tried these seemingly non-dimmable ebay lights for lightning? Or, does anyone have any other experience with these cheap-o floods?

These are most certainly not dimmable. They have a 10W LED and a constant current driver inside the housing and are not designed to be dimmed or flashed on and off quickly like the regular halogen controllers do. There are ways of getting the same effect with LEDs, but they are considerably more expensive.

Something you might want to take a look at is strobes that have an audio input. They would replace your color organ and lights, but can be daisy-chained together (for sync). Chauvet used to make a low cost strobe like this called the "Techno Strobe 2000S", but it looks like it has been discontinued as of this year. I am not sure what alternatives exist that are in the same price range.

That said, what is your price range on this? Would you be willing/able to build some (would require soldering) or are you looking for an off-the-shelf solution?

·
Registered
491 Posts
They have to be dimmable in order to get the proper effect. I use these: http://www.tmart.com/E27-4W-4-LED-400LM-6000K-White-Light-Dimmable-Spotlight-Silver-85-265V_p157634.html?fixed_price=us_us&utm_source=base&utm_medium=organic&utm_term=88010221&utm_campaign=product&gclid=CIDWjMz_7rcCFYhxQgodlwwAnA

I have 8 of them in a series connected to a a color organ. Works great! I wish I had video but it started raining last halloween and we had to shut down and didn't get video. I mount them on the fence in front of the Cemetery about 4 feet apart. They were also the least expensive and free shipping. Hope this helps.

-Z

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are most certainly not dimmable. They have a 10W LED and a constant current driver inside the housing and are not designed to be dimmed or flashed on and off quickly like the regular halogen controllers do. There are ways of getting the same effect with LEDs, but they are considerably more expensive.

Something you might want to take a look at is strobes that have an audio input. They would replace your color organ and lights, but can be daisy-chained together (for sync). Chauvet used to make a low cost strobe like this called the "Techno Strobe 2000S", but it looks like it has been discontinued as of this year. I am not sure what alternatives exist that are in the same price range.

That said, what is your price range on this? Would you be willing/able to build some (would require soldering) or are you looking for an off-the-shelf solution?
Thanks for the feedback. Those are great ideas. I'm handy and would like to keep it under 20/fixture...5 or 6 fixtures. I really like the sealed landscape enclosures, but understand they're not up to this job.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They have to be dimmable in order to get the proper effect. I use these: http://www.tmart.com/E27-4W-4-LED-400LM-6000K-White-Light-Dimmable-Spotlight-Silver-85-265V_p157634.html?fixed_price=us_us&utm_source=base&utm_medium=organic&utm_term=88010221&utm_campaign=product&gclid=CIDWjMz_7rcCFYhxQgodlwwAnA

I have 8 of them in a series connected to a a color organ. Works great! I wish I had video but it started raining last halloween and we had to shut down and didn't get video. I mount them on the fence in front of the Cemetery about 4 feet apart. They were also the least expensive and free shipping. Hope this helps.

-Z
Great option. Thank you for the link. Do you just put them in a standard Home Depot shop light fixture with the aluminum cone reflector?

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,156 Posts
I have ordered all kinds of led bulbs from this company: here in USA : http://holidayleds.com/search.aspx?find=par38

they are plastic, light, and very sturdy, and their customer service is excellent. PLUS: par 38's are dimple

They have free shipping over $50 now thru 8-31-15

Well thats a first - led's with dimples, and they don't charge you extra! :D:D I meant dimmable!!

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,156 Posts
Fearington- the c7 bulbs are great too and great color and also plastic- I have used them in orange or red inside lanterns etc and hook them up to these 46760.jpg

and attach them to timers....so much easier than led flicker candles. The sockets are sometimes available at dollar store near their little house christmas set up display.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts