Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what, if any, type of digital photo storage you guys used.... I have a huge mess of around a thousand pictures, not organized the way I want and on several different applications and places on line. What is the best way to organize this mess??? I am currently trying Picasa, it's OK, don't care much for photobucket. I started thinking about an external hard drive system but dont know too much about them. I was checking out a Drobo, expensive, but I dont care if it would be worth the money.... Any help and or advice would be really appreciated!

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,528 Posts
Hey there Ghostship! I personally keep all my digital photos on a mobile 80 gig external drive. I've had it a while and really want to upgrade to a 1 TB drive, but it works great! I keep every photo I've ever taken on it and organize it to my liking. I have several different folders with the same pictures in some of them. I first organize it by the date of download. Then I've got other folders that I copy certain pics into for vacations, Halloween parties, other holidays, etc. Whatever photos I choose to share, I upload on to my website, or sometimes here on the forum, or in Photobucket. Only a very small percentage of photos I have in file actually ever get put online somewhere, but I don't use any online sites for my primary source of photo storage. I only use websites for sharing photos with others.

It's always a good idea to have a backup of some kind though. For instance, if you use Photobucket exclusively and don't keep your photos on a hard drive somewhere, what happens if they screw up your account? It's probably not likely, but it's worth being safe rather than sorry. I actually occasionally backup this external hard drive to another hard drive just in case one gets lost, or burns out, etc.

My orgnanized chaos for storing digital photos might not be the right solution for everyone, but it works for me. :)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
My other half got a new digital camera but, hardly ever downloads the pics to the computer. He says it takes too long. lol
I do mostly video recording and have everything in almost every format. My latest is the mini dvd and it works ok. I download most of my stuff right to the computer and have most of my hard drive full. The second external hard drive seems like the way to go. It is going to take time no matter what you do and you are most likely going to want to created files for your photos so you can find them earsier. I tend to be over organised this way. I don't like uploading everything to the net since there is no real privacy there.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I dont like the idea of putting all my photos on an on line place....some I want to share and some I dont. I know its going to take me a long time to organize, I have some on photobucket, some on picasa, most on my hard drive, but in my Olympus software and the newer Canon one and some in the Photoshop thing which I am quickly starting to hate......its a mess. But my computer is around 5 years old and ya never know, if it crashes on me I will be ill....

·
Registered
605 Posts
I like Photobucket but don't use it for photo storage, only things I want to share, in case Photobucket should crash someday or something. I burn all of my photos to CD. I save hundreds of photos a month so every month I clear them off the computer. OEJ has some on those external drive things and they seem to work really well and aren't terribly expensive all things considered. The worst part is organizing and naming all the durn things.

·
Bucky Brain Surgeon
908 Posts
External hard drives. I have several external hard drives and several back ups of all of my photos that I've taken over the last 10 years or so. Heh, my first digital camera was a Sony Mavica that took 640x480 pics and stored them on floppy disks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts