Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can find very little info on the unit that was hacked, does it have the capability to playback a DVD-ISO?

If so, a DVD (AtmosFear FX, etc) can be converted to an ISO file, then played back with the built-in triggering functions on the original DVD. I have already converted all 5 of my AtmosFear discs to an ISO and can play them back via my WD TV Streaming box and they work! Only problem is the WD TV does not have the physical buttons to hack like the unit in this thread

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I can find very little info on the unit that was hacked, does it have the capability to playback a DVD-ISO?

If so, a DVD (AtmosFear FX, etc) can be converted to an ISO file, then played back with the built-in triggering functions on the original DVD. I have already converted all 5 of my AtmosFear discs to an ISO and can play them back via my WD TV Streaming box and they work! Only problem is the WD TV does not have the physical buttons to hack like the unit in this thread
Is there good, free, spyware / malware / adware Windows for ripping and converting DVDs to play on other devices? I'm often hesitant to download lots of free software these days; because even if the software developer didn't include spy / mal / adware, evidently many of the free software download sites *do* add this junk along with the installer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You betcha'

http://www.magiciso.com/

Works GREAT, FREE, and as long as you DL it from this site... NO virus. I cannot remember what the install process went like, but with many types of software, IF there are adverts in the install, they give you the option to "opt-out" in the install process. So just don't keep clicking 'OK', pause and read. Best to my memory there wasn't anything.

Is there good, free, spyware / malware / adware Windows for ripping and converting DVDs to play on other devices? I'm often hesitant to download lots of free software these days; because even if the software developer didn't include spy / mal / adware, evidently many of the free software download sites *do* add this junk along with the installer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok, I went ahead a pulled the trigger on this unit. I did a little research and 'cosmetically' this unit looks exactly like another unit that has a BoxChip F10. According to the specs, the unit should be able to play DVD-ISO files.

Reading some of the comments about the logo/icon being present when a video loops/starts up is only something that happens when the INDIVIDUAL video file is started. HOPEFULLY, I will be able to avoid this by loading the AftmosFearFX DVD in it's entirety via an ISO file and just select their built-in 'trigger' function.

We'll see. When I get the unit (slow boat from China) it will most likely be after Halloween this year, I will report back.

Only question I have about the 'hack', what sensor did you hook it up to? motion detector, electronic beam, etc?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
You betcha'

http://www.magiciso.com/

Works GREAT, FREE, and as long as you DL it from this site... NO virus. I cannot remember what the install process went like, but with many types of software, IF there are adverts in the install, they give you the option to "opt-out" in the install process. So just don't keep clicking 'OK', pause and read. Best to my memory there wasn't anything.
Thanks John. Wishing you luck with your choice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What video format are you using on this? I have this player and play a video from an SD card but after the video is played it takes it back to the menu screen. It also requires me to select resume when I select my video.

I can repeat the video and pause it between repeats but that is not what I am looking for.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Okie-dokie.... I got one of the players I ordered today. eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-Media-Player-1080P-RM-RMVB-Divx-AVI-MKV-USB-2-0-SD-MPEG-JPG-Mov-SD-SDHC-/351193295594?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=Cw4b0n3luHutuNfPOzzV%252BfSwc3M%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The one I got does NOT match the picture and (unlike the picture and description) lacks Optical Audio out as well as VGA Video out. I have already contacted the seller about the issue, waiting to hear back from them. I do NOT recommend this seller, so please do NOT order from them.

The GOOD NEWS.... it DOES play the DVD-ISO files I wanted it to play. I have AtmosFearFX Zombie Invasion, Unliving Portraits, Shades of Evil, Bone Chillers and Ghostly Apparitions all in a converted ISO container and load them onto a USB drive. Select FILES on the media player and play the ISO.

For the ones like Zombie Invasion and Bone Chillers that have the "trigger" function. I plan on hard wiring contacts exactly like described in the beginning of this thread and connect it to this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/huc/view.html?ie=UTF8&newItems=C49YUAFG9V1J0%2C1

I plan on disconnecting the leads on the speaker in the receiver unit and connecting them to the media player, which will be close to the projector source.
And have the motion trigger out where some unsuspecting soul will "throw 'da switch". This keeps wires from running everywhere and limiting my distance. The low voltage on the speaker should be enough to complete the circuit. I plan on testing the flow on the media player when the button is pressed and the voltage on the speaker (don't wanna burn out my media player).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry for the delay.

I took all my AtmosFearFX DVD's and converted into an ISO "shell". It's sorta like a 'zipped' DVD file. Inside the ISO file the fully functional DVD is contained. The media player (that I received) is able to play the file.

Nice thing, some folks were commenting on seeing the device logo between video clips. I haven't tried INDIVIDUAL files, but the 'trigger' mode built into the DVD just keeps looping the video (when triggered) and there is NO logo in between, just blissful gore...;)

What video format are you using on this? I have this player and play a video from an SD card but after the video is played it takes it back to the menu screen. It also requires me to select resume when I select my video.

I can repeat the video and pause it between repeats but that is not what I am looking for.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I havent followed this thread in a while since the logo issue was undesireable.

but htis latest development of using iso files is promising.

but there is nothing in thelink to amazon.

you say not to use the the ebay seller.
Not sure what unit you got, since you say it isnt what is pictured in the ebay listing.

can you direct me to this device?

Okie-dokie.... I got one of the players I ordered today. eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-Media-Player-1080P-RM-RMVB-Divx-AVI-MKV-USB-2-0-SD-MPEG-JPG-Mov-SD-SDHC-/351193295594?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=Cw4b0n3luHutuNfPOzzV%252BfSwc3M%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The one I got does NOT match the picture and (unlike the picture and description) lacks Optical Audio out as well as VGA Video out. I have already contacted the seller about the issue, waiting to hear back from them. I do NOT recommend this seller, so please do NOT order from them.

The GOOD NEWS.... it DOES play the DVD-ISO files I wanted it to play. I have AtmosFearFX Zombie Invasion, Unliving Portraits, Shades of Evil, Bone Chillers and Ghostly Apparitions all in a converted ISO container and load them onto a USB drive. Select FILES on the media player and play the ISO.

For the ones like Zombie Invasion and Bone Chillers that have the "trigger" function. I plan on hard wiring contacts exactly like described in the beginning of this thread and connect it to this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/huc/view.html?ie=UTF8&newItems=C49YUAFG9V1J0%2C1

I plan on disconnecting the leads on the speaker in the receiver unit and connecting them to the media player, which will be close to the projector source.
And have the motion trigger out where some unsuspecting soul will "throw 'da switch". This keeps wires from running everywhere and limiting my distance. The low voltage on the speaker should be enough to complete the circuit. I plan on testing the flow on the media player when the button is pressed and the voltage on the speaker (don't wanna burn out my media player).

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
john 14
looking over the unit in the ebay link...I dont see where is says it can play iso files.
was this just a hunch that it would work on your part? or did I miss something in the description?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
well I decided to buy the original unit in this thread posted by capt pete.
turns out this unit plays the iso files also.
so no icons and the ability to use the dvd's menus and trigger features.

funny thing, there is audio buzzing until the unit plays a file then no buzzing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I got 2 of these pictured below from Amazon. I have not torn one apart yet to solder in the switch. For $30 they are pretty cool. It will work great for projecting the AtmosfereFX apparition loop in the yard. The DVD player didn't like cold and was a PAIN to get to repeat/loop setting. This is going to be much easier and less hassle.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I got 2 of these pictured below from Amazon. I have not torn one apart yet to solder in the switch. For $30 they are pretty cool. It will work great for projecting the AtmosfereFX apparition loop in the yard. The DVD player didn't like cold and was a PAIN to get to repeat/loop setting. This is going to be much easier and less hassle.

thats the same unit I bought.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
well I decided to buy the original unit in this thread posted by capt pete.
turns out this unit plays the iso files also.
so no icons and the ability to use the dvd's menus and trigger features.

funny thing, there is audio buzzing until the unit plays a file then no buzzing.
Fred, I am glad it worked out for you. I haven't had any problems with mine. No buzzing audio.
It might be the audio cable or are you using the HDMI out?
Pete

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Fred, I am glad it worked out for you. I haven't had any problems with mine. No buzzing audio.
It might be the audio cable or are you using the HDMI out?
Pete
I used the included cable.
doesnt make any noise while in trigger mode between triggers , so I guess I can live with it. just dont understand what is causing it.

maybe Ineed to look into the audio set up menu a little better.

as far as the buzzing from no audio signal.
this doesnt happen to any other dvd or blu ray device.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts