Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
c8976417cf1b5a44084ac62fe0c59358.jpg

...like the one pictured. And if so what did they put in it? I remember helping my mom prepare the treat bags the night before, but for the life of me I don't remember what went in them. There was a small variety, but what? Candy corn? Mary Janes?
If your family gave them out years ago, can you remember specifics of what went in them?

·
Super Moderator
5,883 Posts
I don't know about that specific design, but we did get little bag kits packaged similarly to valentines cards today you had to assemble when I was little (till I was about 10) before mom started just making her own bags.

We always put in a pencil, a 'toy' and a candy.

The "toy" was things you would get from Oriental Trading today. Spider rings, or that kind of thing. Candy wise, I remember sixlets and sweet tarts and bottle caps being in the typical mix, and some suckers I didn't care for...like a big smarty on a stick.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,369 Posts
We always used those & I still use bags today.

It was always whatever candy was at the store in the big combo bags, pretty much like it is today with just different candies. I recall Now & Laters, Smarties, gum of some sort, just whatever my grandparents bought. We'd drop 3-4 pieces in it & hand 'em out.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
IMGP0202.jpg I still pack grab bags! We had 88 TOTs. Here are the night's leftovers from this year's fish pond. There are dollar store style toys inside along with three small Sweet Tart candies. The reason I put the toys in grab bags is so the kids won't take forever choosing a toy. I also had a small coffin of Wise's assorted chips for those that didn't want to play fish pond.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Growing up in the 70s we did hand out the cheap paper decorated bags. :) Usually we would put a Dum Dum lollipop, a small chocolate candy and some candy corn or a few M&Ms into them.

Almost every young family in my neighborhood did this. Rarely would you get just one mini candy. If you got the mini Necco wafers you knew you weren't being polite enough or that the person felt you were "too old" for trick or treating and that you should be doing chores, mowing lawns, raking leaves, babysitting or whatever to earn money and buy your own candy.

The older people would often give out something homemade, like cookies or a caramel apple, or might toss a few pennies into our bag.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,643 Posts
Ahhhh. Memories... I loved these, and I still do. Your post made me smile.
^^this^^
I remember those bags very well. My folks used them and I remember getting them in our own TOT bags from others.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Yeah, my mom used to pack those bags back in the '60's. But I think it was a defence mechanism. If anybody cheated out, they got egged and had fireworks shot at the house. Spontaneous bonfires were not uncommon. One year, my buddies and I cut down somebody's tree. Ahhh, the '60's......

·
Registered
414 Posts
I remember those bags. We only did them once. Packing them was so much work. But yeah, it was those round pumpkin face chocolates, some rockets (you yanks call them smarties), some other small candies like the square caramels, candy corn and a sucker. The years before that we never got any TOTs living in the boonies, that year we were living in row houses that were frequently used as starter homes in that area, and we VASTLY underestimated how many TOTs we'd get. Years following, we just dumped a variety of candy in a large bowl and my parents gave each child a handful.

I'm considering resurrecting the treat bag since I feel so strongly about the teal pumpkin project and found that trying to juggle 2 bowls was a pain in the butt. Packing small bags with some edible and some non edible treats will be easier on the night of, especially once my kids start handing out once they're done trick or treating. One treat bag per kid is pretty easy to do for small but over enthusiastic hands. My 3 year old was trying to hand out the entire bowl.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Yeah, my mom used to pack those bags back in the '60's. But I think it was a defence mechanism. If anybody cheated out, they got egged and had fireworks shot at the house. Spontaneous bonfires were not uncommon. One year, my buddies and I cut down somebody's tree. Ahhh, the '60's......
Oh my gosh, talking of which. Does anybody remember "Mischief Night"? Or Gate Night or Goosie Night? Eggs, TP, chalk...we all had a ball...my parents actually ALLOWED us out on Mischief Night...with a curfew and with NO real damage, no shaving cream on cars (or any shaving cream at all) and so on. They figured we were getting it out of our system that one night a year (the night before Halloween). Only the truly bad kids ever did any actual damage, but then again, the truly bad kids did damage all year long. You'd wake up with TP'd trees and just shake your head and laugh. :D

Treat bags: I have so many fond memories of the day before H'ween, my mom, my sister and I all sitting on the floor, each with a pile of candy in front of her...the first person would put in from her pile, the next from hers, etc...assembly-style. We got SO many ToTers in my neighborhood in those days. We'd always pack up at least a hundred bags and we always ran out well before kids stopped coming and ringing the bell.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
No, we never handed out those bags, but I loved getting them in my treat bag.
I wish I had kept some of them.

·
Registered
268 Posts
That brings back memories! :) Yep, my mom used those! We would put 2 or 3 pieces of candy into each bag. When my son was born, that is when I REALLY got into Halloween. Growing up, Halloween wasn't much of a thing for me for I was extremely shy and didn't like to do much that brought attention to me ... what the heck happened?? Lol! :D I used those little bags for the ToTer's - those were for the older kids and they would get a pack of Garbage Pail Kids cards or some other small older toy type thing with some candy. The little ToTer's (baby up to 5) would get a small stuffed animal in their bag. No candy just the animal. Lots of parents really liked that idea. Sometimes I wonder if any of those children still have that stuffed animal from their 1st Halloween of Trick or Treating :)

Do kids still collect for UNICEF anymore? Does anyone remember those little boxes that people brought around on Halloween? I believe it was UNICEF.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I started handing out the small treat bags about 3 or 4 years ago. I had fond memories of them from childhood too. Wanted to give a little something more and make the eve special for the treaters. We usually put in a couple of pieces of candy and a small plastic toy in each. Plus, it helps to keep count of how many TOTers you've had. We made 200 this year and went through them all -- just about right. And if I don't have those bags, I tend to give away too much candy! This helps keep me under control. ;)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The whole discussion about what people hand out got me thinking back to when we were ToTing. I'm pretty sure we put in loose candy corn with other candies. I also remember my mom preparing stacks of pennies in case she ran out of the treat bags...

Blades006 - That's pretty amazing... and cool. I saw treat bags at an antique mart, $1.00 apiece!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Wow! A dollar a piece for those old bags? Man I would be rich if I kept them from all the years I got them. My Grandmother always used those bags, she bought Halloween candy and she always got the good tasting candy to put in them along w/ tootsie rolls & remember the variety at the grocery store from Bracks, the pieces. She always threw a couple of those in.

I started doing bags in this location but as the lines got longer and it taking more time to get the haunt up, that just kind of slipped away. The kids loved them, I'd put candy in and a toy from Oriental Trading Post. We also hand out brownies, this is the brownie wrapping station. This last 2 years....no time to make 650 brownies and wrap them.

2012 we did the smores bags, everyone loved them but very time consuming. I made 375 bags and when we ran out we were not even 1/2 through the night. Somewhere in my pictures there is a photo of our bags. I started buying the bags but could hardly get anything in them, so for 2 years I got larger candy bags & I printed my own artwork, cut them out, and glued them to the bags>>>Way to long to do!

Next year I'm gonna try and make my own bags again. The kids get really excited when we have them. We didn't do the popcorn for 2 years in a row either>>>>man we are slipping>>>>>and these folks let ya know they miss it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I found the pictures of the bags.The orange label was the first time bags. I also had our website address on them & the picturetrail acct. name to get into the photo albums where the family photo's that were shoot were. That is Joe our candy bag packer and yes we were still doing up bags just before 4pm on Halloween. Next is the 2nd label I made (the blue one). The last 2 are of the popcorn setup, we had about 5-6 large totes full.

OH OH pictures not in right order, I still have to figure out how to do this.

Attachments

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
I totally remember getting treats in these bags, what a fun memory TY! I don't think my parents ever used them, that would have been too much effort!! :) :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts