Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys-
I have a 10" Craftsman Table saw- owned it for years, she's done good for me. I was just cutting some 1" blue foam, and in the middle of the cut, it made a LOUD grinding noise, the blade slowed WAY down and started vibrating. I immediately shut it down. I don't see any obstructions around the blade at all.

Now- when I turn it on, it vibrates heavily, makes a loud bussing/grinding noise, and the blade spins very slow- to where it wouldn't cut the foam even if I tried. After about 5 seconds, it blows the surge protector it's plugged into.

I've never had any problems with this- certainly not with blue foam. It's fairly old- not sure if I fried it and need to just replace it? Or is there an easy fix?

I know it's hard without seeing it- but any ideas are VERY appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
huh. So is this an easy fix? Or, do I need to buy a new one? If so, any recommendations? I'd like one with more than 26" side capacity...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Look again at where the blade is. It might have a build up of melted foam around it somewhere. Maybe even around the shaft itself.
Unplug it before doing this. Also try to move the blade by hand. If it moves free it's probably a motor issue. Does it have a belt drive?
It could be something in the belt.
Also try taking the blade off and start it up without a blade....

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took the blade off, same thing happens. Loud bussing noise, vibration, and then it stops when it throws the circuit. The blade wouldn't move freely when it was on. Seems like it's something in the motor. I don't think it's belt driven.

Any ideas?
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope- NOT a belt drive, from what I see. All a self-contained motor. So, either I replace the motor, or, buy a new machine it seems like. Right? Thoughts???

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, at $141 for a replacement motor- I think I'd rather buy a brand new saw. Any recommendations? How frustrating- always when money is the tightest, and no time left to deal with setbacks like this!

·
Registered
310 Posts
inbetween halloween props I am an amateur woodworker and I own a Delta contractor's saw - I would say it is one step up from the Craftsman. I have owned it for almost 20 yrs now and beat the crap out of it and it still works great. However, I will warn you that when you see the price of a new table saw the $150 for a new motor may seem like a good deal. You will probably have to spend about $600 to get the saw, a decent blade and a good fence. I bought mine here locally in the Phx area at Timber Woodworking. They sell used stuff as well so you might get lucky.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh yeah! I used to know the owner's kid of that place! It's in Mesa, right?

Now- will Craftsman honor a warranty on power tools like that? I got this as a gift, so I don't have a receipt. I thought lifetime warranty applies to HAND tools- not power tools. If that's the case, then heck yeah!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup- just confirmed it's only lifetime on HAND tools. Bummer. The date on the motor stamp is 2004/9, so I assume it's long past it's Manufacturer's Warranty. Cutting foam with a dull razor sucks. Tons of repair/sanding to do later.

I've been looking at Delta tools- but you're right, they're pricey. There's some on craigslist now- but still much more than a $140 motor. I never did like the table/fence on my table saw- which is why I've been thinking of getting a new one. I just looked at Lowes/Home Depot- not impressed with their selection/pricing. Table/Fences of their floor models leave much to be desired, and aren't much different than what I already got.

I might go take a look at Sears tomorrow. They have a newer Craftsman 10" for $180 or so- might see how it compares.
Thanks!

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,462 Posts
Oh yeah! I used to know the owner's kid of that place! It's in Mesa, right?

Now- will Craftsman honor a warranty on power tools like that? I got this as a gift, so I don't have a receipt. I thought lifetime warranty applies to HAND tools- not power tools. If that's the case, then heck yeah!

Usually all the warranty applies to is hand tools and not electric tools. If it is just the motor you could try McMaster-Carr or Grainger, all you need is the correct frame number and the rpm to match along with voltage and amp rating, they may be cheaper.

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
I've never had a Crapsman worth anything be it a compressor, electric hand tool, or screwdirver and won't buy another. You might check Lowes for the Dewault table saw. I think it was around 400 last time I was eyeballing it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, $400 is definitely out of my price range. Maybe I can find something on Craigslist- but worry about buying used tools. I'm heading to look at Sears now, maybe I'll pick one up while I'm there. I want to get these projects finished!!! LOL... Otherwise, I'll look at other places for a motor- might be difficult to find one with the exact specs, including mounting holes, power useage, rpm/torque, etc etc. Maybe I'll get lucky...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Look if it got a capacitor, in germany the motors of tools like this need a capacitor to start, if it goes broken, the motor stops and is still vibrating and you can hear a buzzing noise. If you stop it and want to start it again the same happens - only buzzing and vibrating.

So if it got a capacitor (a roll, mostly silver with two electrical pins - on the outside you can see the capacity and so on) and the capacitor has gone broken - sometime happens - it would be a very cheap repair.

I have seen a thread where they discuss over start capacitors - maybe it'll help you: capacitors - Page 2 - Electronic Circuits Projects Diagrams Free

Hope to helped you.

hellowinnie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts